Monsanto Company Reviews

Reset
3.4
Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• I enjoyed working for them and they have great benefits (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Some long hours included 60 hours a week or more (in 18 reviews)

1. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

People are friendly and work environment is casual

Cons

Things are not very often communicated well

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job in keeping their employees satisfied with the current economic conditions

2. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Smart people who are very dedicated to what they do. Company has an important mission in trying to find ways to produce more with less resources. Good pay and benefits. Workloads are high but there is a lot of consideration for flexibility and balance.

Cons

Had some tough times 2009 - 2010 but starting to look up again. Org structure is confusing and can be difficult to navigate.

Advice to Management

Listen and connect more with people inside the company

3. Mid year review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Monsanto Company are salary, the benefits and employee perks.

Cons

The downside of working at Monsanto is upward mobility is political.

Advice to Management

Advice to management and supervisors is to treat all of your reports fairly. Try not to have favorites. Don't buddy, buddy with them. Lunch with other managers not your reports. Some lines should be drawn.

5. Monsanto is Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Software Tester in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Software Tester in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

1) Health benefits are offered at minimal coverage for those who don't select insurance, large contribution from the employer towards the premium. Full range of medical, prescription, dental, vision and disability insurance options. 2) Company contributes to and offers great pension and savings plans/retirement plans. Also, employees are given stock certificates, so you have a share in the company, too. 3) Company keeps employees informed about finances, corporate decisions, etc., via email and worldwide meetings accessable to all employees. 4) Team leaders and supervisors uphold the company work/life balance policy. Competetive vacation time usable after first day on the job. Casual friendly atmosphere aides in open communication with leaders/supervisors. 5) Headquarters campus offers free gym membership on-campus and on-campus daycare (fee), also on-campus credit union.

Cons

No company is perfect, as they are all led by humans. The overall company has great policies and the majority of the leaders are great to work with, but there is an exception to every rule. I think some of the cons of working at Monsanto could be similar to some other similar positions in other companies. There are times when overtime is necessary and stress levels can elevate over time for extended periods of time in different departments, but there are many places to work and move within the company to advance to new opportunities and rewarding lessons.

Advice to Management

Some project planning within the departmetn which I work takes into consideration the development time for the code, but not so much the time required to test the functionality. With the IT testing working on Iterative testing, development occurs on such schedule with presumtion that testing time required is no more than single iteration, which is not always the case. Some functionality is more difficult and time-consuming to test than it is to develop.

6. Let's not give up

Current Employee - GIS in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - GIS in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Monsanto allows great diversity in the workplace.

Cons

Monsanto was a great company and I believe the potential is there to be great once again. Like many we are going through a lot of challenges because of the economy.......

Advice to Management

Communication should be at all levels. Really listen to the feedback from all levels of your staff and appreciate individual contributions. This is important to keep good people.

7. Monsanto in the news

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

For the Money. The company pays well and has great benifits. Thats about all the positive things I can say.

Cons

Monsanto will lay you off unless you die at you desk from a heart attack do to stress caused my overwork and the quarterly lay-off's

Advice to Management

Monsanto use to be a company where management treated the employees great. Now employees are let go to increase profit while middle management is more click than management.

8. scientist position at Monsanto in Missouri

Current Employee - Research Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

family friendly atmosphere with freedom to set your own hours

Cons

too big, hardly any interactions between departments

Advice to Management

More interactions between various departments

9. Good Monsanto Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Good pay, interesting problem solving. Very hands on experience for interns. Did not think I would get to do so much 'real work', but I had projects that were both significant and educational.

Cons

The employees in my department were rather busy and sometimes it was hard to find them to get feedback. I'd like to have had a more structured internship experience, but I think my department's internship program was rather new so they weren't on board with the main internship program at Monsanto (which seemed VERY organized).

Advice to Management

value experience of employees that have been loyal and with the company for a long time. otherwise you will lose them to competitors.

Monsanto sucks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Not too many pros. Monsanto destroyed good medium size vegetable seed companies when it became the monopilic owner of those

Cons

They don't treat people ethically. They act only on their best interest

Advice to Management

Be more human, or rather, understand that it that who you are "only human"

11. middle management is the biggest issue

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

bright and hard-working people (not most of managers) benefit package vacation days Fitness centre on campus

Cons

-While some managers are truly nice and competent people, but many others are arrogant and overly staffed -Like Microsoft, cut off people while making $1,000,000,000+ net profit -Paid less attention to customers' voice when company was expanding fast

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the complexity of the biology before you promised to double the yield and profit.

RSS Feed </> Embed