Monsanto Company

www.monsanto.com

Monsanto Company Reviews

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Production Technician (Current Employee) Luling, LA

ProsIt provides a good comfortable life style for me and my family in todays economic situation.

Consno issues that i see that need attention.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good Company for entry level employees

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Oxnard, CA

ProsGood benifits
    Global networking
    Multi business divisions
    Vegetable Division is good to be in, if your in HR.
    Cross Training
    Good to get in if your a new college grad looking for a good CV builder.

ConsCompensation is below industry standards.
    Lack of yearly salary increases, you get about 2% , if your lucky.
    Politics , too many slogans that management doesn't follow, just take down all the propaganda posters.
    Too many re-org's and not retaining the good hard workers.
    Most of the executives in my division are from other division of Monsanto and have a hard time understanding the business, since is is very complex and not Da Row crops.
    The DPR yearly review system is really about if your boss likes you or not!

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time knowing about the business before taking on more side projects and consuming the time of others focused on driving the business. Try and nail down the org structure for the Veg business and stop making changing every other week....its been 5 years and we still cant get it right!

Supportive environment amongst highly talented, highly motivated, diverse workforce.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCutting edge science. Work/life balance. Opportunity to achieve high potential.

ConsSome areas have a reluctance to report bad news up through the hierarchy. When layoffs happen, the cuts are drastic and often fall disproportionately on older, more highly paid workers. Those who remain are saddled with too much work. People are not held accountable for absenteeism. Sometimes quality takes a back seat to cost savings measures. People are not held accountable for strategic mistakes that cost customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow cost saving to dominate at the expense of quality. Provide more support for ideas that come from individual contributors rather than from management down. Fire the decision-makers that raised prices on Roundup and seeds so much in 2008-2009.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, lots of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsRelatively flat hierarchy, good leadership, cutting edge innovation, talented co-workers. I have never worked for a company that encourages this much innovation and teamwork. I love coming to work everyday.

ConsWork life balance is bad. If you are not careful, your work hours can easily extend to 50/60 hours a week. The company has been in a constant state of change for the past three years, which makes it difficult to feel that your job is secure.

My experience at Monsanto was pretty satisfactory

Database Administrator Coop (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLots of opportunities for growth

ConsThe pay is average as compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should engage and educate mid level employees in the going ons and business of the company

Glad for the experience and glad it's over

IT Infrastructure (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros--Salary
    --Benefits
    --Friendships
    --A really terrific severance package if you're able to tough it out
    --The reign of terror once over IT Infrastructure has been moved back to Commercial
    --The incompetent 'senior leader' and over opinionated 'soccer mom' both quit shortly after getting new leadership

Cons--Reviews based upon how much your manager likes you, not what you are able to deliver
    --Hiring based upon enthics/gender and not qualifications
    --Interchangeable staff--'move every 3 years'
    --No true work-life balance or fit
    --Extreme dating scene! So many married, dating, or divorced couples
    --Very short term focused. Does not look at the long term impact

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real feedback, from your employees and your customers, not customed and tailored such that you only hear what you want to hear.

Great place to work, with a few recent bumps in the road

Senor Software Developer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork/Life Balance is excellent. Management is very accommodating when family issues require a change in work schedule.
    Excellent benefits package.
    Very competent coworkers with a minimum of drama for a company this size.

ConsMultiple recent reorganizations, with and without cuts, are a drain on productivity and morale.
    There is not a clearly communicated advancement path for technical positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that reorganizations and cuts not only impact those that are cut, but also have a huge morale and productivity impact on those that remain. In the future, try to not to hire so many so fast during the good times, so we aren't forced to cut as much during the lean times.

Frustrating, opportunities to advance are scarce and have been for the last 3 years.

Internal Audit (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMonsanto has a gorgeous campus and overall very nice facilities. My schedule is relatively flexible, I can arrive at work at 6am and leave by 2pm, as long as I am at 40 hours by the end of the week its not a problem.

ConsWorking side by side with some of the laziest individuals who accomplish in one week what literally takes me an hour. Though specific incidents have been brought to the attention of management things remain unchanged, an email might go out to the whole department "reminding" us to work as efficiently as possible. This is my first experience in a corporate setting which I understand will be very different from private but if the stockholders saw the performance of these paid employees I guarantee they would be outraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action.

Talented, professional colleagues make Monsanto an excellent place to work and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe people you get to work with are top quality. They all have something to teach you and all know how to have fun, too. The company is very good about safety and a work-life balance. Working at the headquarters also offers an invaluable opportunity to collaborate with and meet people from all different departments.

ConsAs with all big companies, many decisions are driven by politics. Entire projects and even departments have been cut suddenly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my experience, meeting regularly with one's superior to get feedback on performance has been key in keeping employees motivated and interested in what they do. It helps to maintain a stream of communication that emphasizes the roles that one's day-to-day responsibilities play in the larger picture.

Wonderful

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFlexible schedule, good communication and wonderful people

ConsContractors are better than perm employees and contractors are the ones cut during cut backs, too many meetings

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!