Monsanto Company Reviews

Reset
3.9
Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• I enjoyed working for them and they have great benefits (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Some long hours included 60 hours a week or more (in 18 reviews)

Good people, good benefits, lousy management.

Former Employee - Workstation Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Workstation Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Good benefits, company is doing well, nice people. The campus is nice. It's a global company.

Cons

Management keeps information very close. Management is backed by their seniors unconditionally, no matter how bad they screw up. Favorites are blatantly played. The smart people who should be promoted (no, I'm not thinking of myself) aren't because they don't go golfing with the CIO or go to happy hours after work.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking exclusively about climbing the ladder and think a little about the people you manage. Communicate. Look for solutions that help everyone, instead of just covering your ass. I know, it's like that everywhere--but that doesn't mean we should stop expecting it.

Monsanto sucks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Not too many pros. Monsanto destroyed good medium size vegetable seed companies when it became the monopilic owner of those

Cons

They don't treat people ethically. They act only on their best interest

Advice to Management

Be more human, or rather, understand that it that who you are "only human"

Medium pay, slow carrer advancement for REAL worker, shortsighted senior management

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Good benifit (medical, pension) Training opportunities

Cons

Medium pay, low raise A place where networking is much more important than working Can achieve work life balance if you don't care about performance review Constantly changing organizational structure (every 6 months) A lot of 'talkers' are promoted and people have to work for managers that lack of common sense about their jobs Slackers can find a way to survive

Advice to Management

Focus on working rather than networking. Pay more respect to people who really add value to the company instead of those who is only good at saying things to please management

Glad for the experience and glad it's over

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

--Salary --Benefits --Friendships --A really terrific severance package if you're able to tough it out --The reign of terror once over IT Infrastructure has been moved back to Commercial --The incompetent 'senior leader' and over opinionated 'soccer mom' both quit shortly after getting new leadership

Cons

--Reviews based upon how much your manager likes you, not what you are able to deliver --Hiring based upon enthics/gender and not qualifications --Interchangeable staff--'move every 3 years' --No true work-life balance or fit --Extreme dating scene! So many married, dating, or divorced couples --Very short term focused. Does not look at the long term impact

Advice to Management

Get real feedback, from your employees and your customers, not customed and tailored such that you only hear what you want to hear.

Monsanto leadership has no vision for innovation

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

The benefits package is decent.

Cons

Leadership has no vision for innovation.Within the company, the percentage of innovation and discovery is very low. Most of the planning managers lost touch with science. Everyone is evaluated as a 'cost'. A mediocre scientist who will go with the flow could be happy at Monsanto.

Advice to Management

Monsanto's primary job is to make shareholders happy not to feed the world so be honest about what Monsanto is. Leadership is detached from the rest of the company. Listening and understanding your people will help shape the company future.

Depending on what department you are in, could be painful or could be good

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

its tough to find words that can describe positivity in the current state. Typically, this company is good for supporting and fostering new ideas and providing a trusting environment. With so many mixed messages coming through, its difficult to understand expectations in our own organization.

Cons

Depending on where you work, could be okay. My organization is struggling and you can tell its obvious that leadership struggles to compliment their workforce. The context for which they hire new leadership (completely replaced recently) is this place needs a complete shape up, which brings in managers who dont care about people or give credit to the expertise or capabilities. A TON of NON-value add work is exhausting. Sick of not having a work-life balance. I go home on weekends to catch up on sleep, just to redo it again the next week. Its physically and mentally exhausting. Nothing wrong with high expectations, but lose the negative attitude behind it and you will get better results through your people. Its really hard to keep up and network with others outside of your immediate organization because there is a lack of time and support. Either reduce workload and expectations, or hire more people. A manager told me to get a hobby to balance work and life, so i did, but they dont want to roll their sleeves up and help with the workload issue. Then you get dirty looks and negative comments for for not delivering 80 hours worth of work in 45. I am not the person that is truly not happy. 50% of the department or more, is on anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications. They have hired new leadership that clashes with the Monsanto culture. Not sure when the last time I heard a 'good job'.

Advice to Management

stop adding layers and layers of leadership who provide no additional value. Say thanks once in a while. Overall, I do enjoy working at Monsanto, but for now its really hard to say anything positive in the current state. I dont really know whats happening in the broader company, as we are so focused on appeasing our own department leadership team, in which its completely authoritative, which is actually not feeling good. Humbleism and Humility go a long way.

Not good and getting worse

Current Employee - Commercial IT in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Commercial IT in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits package - Vacation, medical, 401k, holidays. There's also a fitness center, a daycare, and some great walking trails on campus.

Cons

My director polices social networking to tell employees how their political views should be, how wrong they are if they aren't in alignment with him, and then uses this information during reviews. If you're political views align with him, you get a good review. If your views are different than his, you get a bad review. Cuts corners on the work deliverable, delivers a shoddy product, then works to cover up the mistakes and problems instead of just taking a little more time and doing things right the first time. Expects employees to work 60-80 hour work weeks while he leaves every day at 4:00PM. Goes psycho when he finds out an employee might be looking for another job outside of the company. Brags endlessly about his house, his car, his vacations, blah, blah, blah. And don't get me started about his good buddy/manager above him. He follows her from department to department as she moves through positions in the company. I have to ask, how many different IT verticals will she get to ruin before senior leadership realizes how bad this is to work for?

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to what your direct reports tell you. You're not getting the full truth on how things are really going. Get out into the rank and file. Do a random lunch invitation to the team leads and individual contributors and ask pointed questions about what's going on in the organization. It'll help you get the truth and then maybe you can turn things around.

Unless you are a scientist, don't bother coming here

Former Employee - Project Manager in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than average benefits in St. Louis, which is a sub-standard city to live in. Cheap, but sub-standard.

Cons

Lots of boys clubs, promotions to those who've been there the longest, not who work the hardest. Oh yeah, and if you don't have a science degree prepared to be treated like your job is "not as cool". Be prepared to endure yearly recurring (and boring as hell) training materials that are obviously geared at lab people.

Advice to Management

Please ask yourselves: How come if you manage to attract all the best talent around, why happened to make it become the greatest revolving door? Low retention, decreasing loyalties, people fleeing left and right.

Greedy...unethical,,,discriminatory,,,only cares about profits, not growers

Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas in Filer, ID
    Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas in Filer, ID

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well to get the best aggies in the industry

Cons

Very greedy company that sends the message that profits is the target goal...does not care about seed diversity, growers, sustainability or people that don't agree with them. If you don't agree with patents o monopolies you are out. They claim they hire diversity, the truth is that Monsanto is a white company, a minority does not have advancement opportunities or management support.

Advice to Management

How can you sleep when you are killing diversity from humanity, hiding varieties and taking growers to courts? The public will never accept your GMO's created to gain profit not to help humanity.

They Pay You to Keep You Around, But When They're Done With You, You're Just a Number

Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary was great...while it lasted.

Cons

The original owner of my company sold to Monsanto to give all of us more and better opportunities. Once we grew a bigger footprint in Corporate America, things began to change. We were always promised more educational opportunities, which never happened, as well as more "house keeping" tasks would come off of our plates and more product-related tasks would be added, which also never happened. We were told July 8th that our Operations Team would be relocating to another office, where there was no room for us. Then we were expected to go in every day and put a smile on and act like everything was ok, until our last day, August 30th. The whole situation was poorly handled. It didn't happen due to the economy, as there are other people in a call center doing our jobs. They always pride themselves on the level of customer service that is offered to their growers. I have kept in touch with a few salesmen and dealers, and there is no level of customer service anymore. When they lose all of their east coast Regional Brand business, they can thank only themselves. Now that I am being forced to look for a job, I can thank them for leaving me qualified to be only a glorified secretary. Because of all of the promises to further my education and my salary, I kept hanging on. Where am I going to be able to find a customer service role making $40K+ per year? I just hope this helps Hugh Grant and Mike Stern to be better able to buy Christmas for their families. Being a single mother with no financial assistance, my daughter is going to miss out on a lot, just so I can keep a roof over our heads.

Advice to Management

When sending an HR representative to fire employees, make sure she has business cards and doesn't write her contact information on post-it notes. How professional...NOT!!

RSS Feed </> Embed