Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 49 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 30 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Its no wonder talented people kept leaving....

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Kïhei, HI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Kïhei, HI

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Its better than no job. Technology is very progressive and current. Endless buckets of money to dig through and spend as quick as you can.

Cons

Leadership is poor. The game is play favorites, take credit for other peoples work as much as you can and try to hide this from the people who actually did the work. No progression plan in place, "work hard and there might be an opportunity if someone leaves", "head count won't allow us to promote", "we only bring people from the mainland in rare circumstances". No Salary disclosure, can't even find out how salary changes with position change.

If you want high performance work with individuals to create a plan with reward. Disclosure and specific defined goals and objectives would make a huge difference.

aggressive

Former Employee - Scientist  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Too much flip-flops in strategy.

Be honest and consistent.

Extremely aggressive and stressful.

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Adoption of hot technologies.
    Lax dress code and work hours.
    Work from home option.
    Plenty of vacation days.

Cons

Extreme levels of stress.
    High expectations from contractors and employees.
    Massive layoffs if economic conditions worsen.
    Pay is average and doesn't match the level of work and dedication expected from employees and contractors.
    Consultants and employees are expected to deliver from first join they join. This is not an exaggeration.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long hours and no "thanks"

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

If you like politics, work here! This is the only way to be successful here.

Cons

Must be a "yes" man/woman to be successful - not allowed to challenge status quo. Bonus' and goals are a joke and mean nothing. Your bonus is driven by how much and how well you socialize with the leadership team- that's what they told me!!!! They have gotten away from hiring real people managers. H.R. Allows bullying to continue to take place. I'll have a new boss in 6 months, and 6 months after that- we can only be set up for success, huh? But I'm glad these people decide my livelihood.

Don't forget our historical culture. Fast growth has caused leadership to lose sight of the competencies and their human assets.

They Pay You to Keep You Around, But When They're Done With You, You're Just a Number

Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The salary was great...while it lasted.

Cons

The original owner of my company sold to Monsanto to give all of us more and better opportunities. Once we grew a bigger footprint in Corporate America, things began to change. We were always promised more educational opportunities, which never happened, as well as more "house keeping" tasks would come off of our plates and more product-related tasks would be added, which also never happened. We were told July 8th that our Operations Team would be relocating to another office, where there was no room for us. Then we were expected to go in every day and put a smile on and act like everything was ok, until our last day, August 30th. The whole situation was poorly handled. It didn't happen due to the economy, as there are other people in a call center doing our jobs. They always pride themselves on the level of customer service that is offered to their growers. I have kept in touch with a few salesmen and dealers, and there is no level of customer service anymore. When they lose all of their east coast Regional Brand business, they can thank only themselves. Now that I am being forced to look for a job, I can thank them for leaving me qualified to be only a glorified secretary. Because of all of the promises to further my education and my salary, I kept hanging on. Where am I going to be able to find a customer service role making $40K+ per year? I just hope this helps Hugh Grant and Mike Stern to be better able to buy Christmas for their families. Being a single mother with no financial assistance, my daughter is going to miss out on a lot, just so I can keep a roof over our heads.

When sending an HR representative to fire employees, make sure she has business cards and doesn't write her contact information on post-it notes. How professional...NOT!!

Greedy...unethical,,,discriminatory,,,only cares about profits, not growers

Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas  in  Filer, ID
    Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas in Filer, ID

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay well to get the best aggies in the industry

Cons

Very greedy company that sends the message that profits is the target goal...does not care about seed diversity, growers, sustainability or people that don't agree with them. If you don't agree with patents o monopolies you are out. They claim they hire diversity, the truth is that Monsanto is a white company, a minority does not have advancement opportunities or management support.

How can you sleep when you are killing diversity from humanity, hiding varieties and taking growers to courts? The public will never accept your GMO's created to gain profit not to help humanity.

Unless you are a scientist, don't bother coming here

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better than average benefits in St. Louis, which is a sub-standard city to live in. Cheap, but sub-standard.

Cons

Lots of boys clubs, promotions to those who've been there the longest, not who work the hardest. Oh yeah, and if you don't have a science degree prepared to be treated like your job is "not as cool". Be prepared to endure yearly recurring (and boring as hell) training materials that are obviously geared at lab people.

Please ask yourselves: How come if you manage to attract all the best talent around, why happened to make it become the greatest revolving door? Low retention, decreasing loyalties, people fleeing left and right.

Not good and getting worse

Current Employee - Commercial IT  in  Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Commercial IT in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits package - Vacation, medical, 401k, holidays. There's also a fitness center, a daycare, and some great walking trails on campus.

Cons

My director polices social networking to tell employees how their political views should be, how wrong they are if they aren't in alignment with him, and then uses this information during reviews. If you're political views align with him, you get a good review. If your views are different than his, you get a bad review.

Cuts corners on the work deliverable, delivers a shoddy product, then works to cover up the mistakes and problems instead of just taking a little more time and doing things right the first time.

Expects employees to work 60-80 hour work weeks while he leaves every day at 4:00PM.

Goes psycho when he finds out an employee might be looking for another job outside of the company.

Brags endlessly about his house, his car, his vacations, blah, blah, blah.

And don't get me started about his good buddy/manager above him. He follows her from department to department as she moves through positions in the company. I have to ask, how many different IT verticals will she get to ruin before senior leadership realizes how bad this is to work for?

Don't just listen to what your direct reports tell you. You're not getting the full truth on how things are really going. Get out into the rank and file. Do a random lunch invitation to the team leads and individual contributors and ask pointed questions about what's going on in the organization. It'll help you get the truth and then maybe you can turn things around.

Depending on what department you are in, could be painful or could be good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

its tough to find words that can describe positivity in the current state. Typically, this company is good for supporting and fostering new ideas and providing a trusting environment. With so many mixed messages coming through, its difficult to understand expectations in our own organization.

Cons

Depending on where you work, could be okay. My organization is struggling and you can tell its obvious that leadership struggles to compliment their workforce. The context for which they hire new leadership (completely replaced recently) is this place needs a complete shape up, which brings in managers who dont care about people or give credit to the expertise or capabilities. A TON of NON-value add work is exhausting. Sick of not having a work-life balance. I go home on weekends to catch up on sleep, just to redo it again the next week. Its physically and mentally exhausting. Nothing wrong with high expectations, but lose the negative attitude behind it and you will get better results through your people. Its really hard to keep up and network with others outside of your immediate organization because there is a lack of time and support. Either reduce workload and expectations, or hire more people.

A manager told me to get a hobby to balance work and life, so i did, but they dont want to roll their sleeves up and help with the workload issue. Then you get dirty looks and negative comments for for not delivering 80 hours worth of work in 45. I am not the person that is truly not happy. 50% of the department or more, is on anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications.

They have hired new leadership that clashes with the Monsanto culture. Not sure when the last time I heard a 'good job'.

stop adding layers and layers of leadership who provide no additional value. Say thanks once in a while. Overall, I do enjoy working at Monsanto, but for now its really hard to say anything positive in the current state. I dont really know whats happening in the broader company, as we are so focused on appeasing our own department leadership team, in which its completely authoritative, which is actually not feeling good. Humbleism and Humility go a long way.

Monsanto leadership has no vision for innovation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

The benefits package is decent.

Cons

Leadership has no vision for innovation.Within the company, the percentage of innovation and discovery is very low. Most of the planning managers lost touch with science. Everyone is evaluated as a 'cost'. A mediocre scientist who will go with the flow could be happy at Monsanto.

Monsanto's primary job is to make shareholders happy not to feed the world so be honest about what Monsanto is. Leadership is detached from the rest of the company. Listening and understanding your people will help shape the company future.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!