Monsanto Company

www.monsanto.com

Monsanto Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

middle management is the biggest issue

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosbright and hard-working people (not most of managers)
    benefit package
    vacation days
    Fitness centre on campus

Cons-While some managers are truly nice and competent people, but many others are arrogant and overly staffed
    -Like Microsoft, cut off people while making $1,000,000,000+ net profit
    -Paid less attention to customers' voice when company was expanding fast

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't underestimate the complexity of the biology before you promised to double the yield and profit.

Used to Be Phenomenal: Boy How Things Have Changed!

Global IT Infrastructure (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsA few years ago, this section would have been clogged with "Pro's", but there have been so many changes that have discarded most of these. I was there nearly 15 years and it created so many positives in my life that range from great career that allowed me to support a wife, two kids, wonderful home and 'downtime' for vacations etc. I was able to work my way up through hard work, dedication and creativity. Then dark clouds appeared on the horizon (and more to come), and changed everything for thousands of dedicated, hard working individuals in the form of cutbacks. Since the culture has changed so much, and is not showing any signs of improvement, I will list below, the pros as I see them 'today':

* Great benefits
    * Headquarters in located in a great area with so many good establishments.
    * Health and Wellness facility is free for employees and $15/mo for contractors
    * Very nice campus

Cons* Employees positions are being eliminated at an alarming rate. In many cases, a contractor will come in right behind them, or worse: The employee will be told that a contractor is being brought in to help with your workload, and that you need to get them familiar with your routine. Once that is completed, the employee position gets eliminated. Nice, huh!
    * Talk to any one person there now, and there is an excellent chance that they will tell you that they are nervous for their future, and that nobody knows where they stand.
    * Cutbacks are occurring with practically no notice. You come in one day, your manager chases you down, and then tells you that your position has been eliminated.
    * There is a real lack of direction from management.
    * People are feeling like 'numbers' now instead of human beings
    * There is little to no appreciation for the hard work and dedication
    * Way to much dating in the workplace. There were so many people whom were either dating, and then getting married in area that it started to feel like an unfair advantage. Very uncomfortable.
    * We got to listen to our manager have a quarterly meeting, where that person was discussing 'money saved'. They would sit there and say (in a singing tone) 'this saved the company x amouuuunt of dollarrrrs!" I cant help but imagine that manager talking that way in leadership meetings about the employees that got let go.
    * Work life balance? Not really.
    * It appears that the company is headed for more cutbacks. Many more.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't take much imagination to treat people with respect and dignity. Cutbacks happen; I get that, but there has got to be a better method than the ruthless one being used now. Good talent who have sacrificed so much of their time (and sometimes families) for Monsanto in order to make it a successful company have had their lives turned upside down. That has never been part of the Monsanto culture, and it should not be now. People who did not get 'packages' are leaving in droves voluntarily. That speaks for itself. People no longer feel safe here.

Monsanto Seminis

Analyst (Former Employee) Oxnard, CA

ProsGreat benefits and really good good relocation package. Great office location, no traffic unless you live far. Plenty of parking space and a soccer field.

ConsBusiness casual dress code, most of employees at Oxnard location have been asked to relocate to St. Louis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore path planning for employees, Monsanto has some of the best educational tools and support for people who want to increase their knowledge

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work life balance

ConsPoor leadership
    Poor communication regarding strategies
    Poor decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there are fundamental problems with the company, lay offs heavily biased towards the lower pay scales probably won't fix the problem.

Misled!

Media Administrator (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFair Pay
    Great Cafeterias
    Casual Dress
    Overall the employees are great people who care about doing a good job.

ConsMiddle Management is heavy.
    Right Hand doesn't know what Left Hand is doing. Lots of duplication in efforts.
    Employees are pretending to be happy for fear of losing jobs.
    Encourage creativity, but not open to new ideas - conundrum!
    Green responsibility is overdone.
    Favorites get the bonuses, instead of those who are doing the work. More emphasis on social networking as a success factor instead of getting the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the DPR facade and make managers accountable.

Good Place

Java Developer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNice place to work and grow as a software developer.

ConsToo many trainings.
    Too many architects trying to tell you what and what not to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some senior architects.
    Bring in young talent

Monsanto pros and cons

Research Associate (Current Employee) Mystic, CT

ProsMonsanto is a great place to work. Research roles are not strictly defined, which allows plenty of room for growth.

ConsLimited opportunities, especially at the smaller sites (away from St. Louis HQ). Although we have plenty of room to grow within our current roles, opportunities for advancement are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue placing a premium on quality research and development work. Encourage more things like cross training and education to broaden the skill set of individual employees.

Great company when I started.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros-Great work life balance and benefits.
    -A lot of people are passionate about the company's goal to feed the world and make a lot of money.

Cons-Lack of direction to employee's. I did not have a manager for a year after i was hired and then quickly went through two managers.

Advice to Senior Management-Next time you lay off people and say that you want to save money. Layoff the guy that makes 2x my salary and was asking me how to do our job on a daily basis.

Great co-workers, Learned a lot, but they are cutting back right now!

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsI loved my co-workers, I learned a lot of new skills, I know that if you are hired permanent the benefits are very good. I was a contractor who had worked there permanently in the past and I think/hope they have improved greatly in their treatment of workers since I was let go 8 years ago, probably largely due to CEO Hugh Grant. I know many people who have worked there a long time with decent salaries.

ConsI was a contract worker there, and since I'd worked there in a permanent job in the past I had to go through their Resource Re-entry Center, which has gotten better but they offer no benefits or vacation tho if you work there long enough you will get 401K. I was hoping to get a permanent job but they are cutting back there now and let me go after only 3 months, and with only 3 days notice!
    I know many people who have worked there a long time and it really depends on the group you are in how you are treated and if you will get layed off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood, hard working scientists are hard to find and very skilled labor, don't let good ones slip through your fingers, convert contractors to permanent!

A good Company to work for

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat benefits, Good vacation, Work life balance, Flexible work hours, Great Executive team, Competitive Salary, Good Core values and best of breed in AG Biotech

ConsInformation Technology is not their core business so very little career growth.
    The HQ is located in ST Louis which is not very diverse and weather is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSt Louis may not be the place to attract the greatest IT talent

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!