Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Glad for the experience and glad it's over

Current Employee - IT Infrastructure  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Infrastructure in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

--Salary
    --Benefits
    --Friendships
    --A really terrific severance package if you're able to tough it out
    --The reign of terror once over IT Infrastructure has been moved back to Commercial
    --The incompetent 'senior leader' and over opinionated 'soccer mom' both quit shortly after getting new leadership

Cons

--Reviews based upon how much your manager likes you, not what you are able to deliver
    --Hiring based upon enthics/gender and not qualifications
    --Interchangeable staff--'move every 3 years'
    --No true work-life balance or fit
    --Extreme dating scene! So many married, dating, or divorced couples
    --Very short term focused. Does not look at the long term impact

Get real feedback, from your employees and your customers, not customed and tailored such that you only hear what you want to hear.

Medium pay, slow carrer advancement for REAL worker, shortsighted senior management

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Good benifit (medical, pension)
    Training opportunities

Cons

Medium pay, low raise
    A place where networking is much more important than working
    Can achieve work life balance if you don't care about performance review
    Constantly changing organizational structure (every 6 months)
    A lot of 'talkers' are promoted and people have to work for managers that lack of common sense about their jobs
    Slackers can find a way to survive

Focus on working rather than networking.
    Pay more respect to people who really add value to the company instead of those who is only good at saying things to please management

Dont Believe The Lies

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Its a job . If you like making deals with the devil, join the Monsanto team.

Cons

Management is of the poorest quality. Atleast in Centralia, IL. If you could imagine if your employer ran your company in the same manner that high school hierachy and cliches are, then please apply at this place. There is SO much corrupt and morally wrong things going on here and that is why I was compelled to write this. My hope is that maybe people will think twice before joining this soul - erasing company. Seeing the previous posts , I can only assume that most are just bogus to make company look good, or they have a completely different atmosphere than the one here at Centralia,IL. I also have the feeling that this will be used against me at a later date.

wouldn't listen anyway

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad place

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Salary, perks, low work load, no accountability to results

Cons

Bad management, incompetent people, no strategy

Change the management. For a company that cannot manage it's public image or Stakeholder expectation the future looks bleak and crisis prone.

Positive and negative

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

It pays well and i suppose it will weather the storm of most economic downturns, it is well positioned to be making money for a long time.

Cons

The company has so much money it seems to ignore incompetence and ignorance at a level thats hard to believe, also while making this money they have had numerous rounds of lay-offs.

The senior leadership seems to be very smart, but at lower levels of the organisation the turnover is so small that the same folks have rotated through the same positions for multiple years, Hugh Grant was very impressive, i wished more had been so.

Good people, good benefits, lousy management.

Former Employee - Workstation Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Workstation Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company

Pros

Good benefits, company is doing well, nice people. The campus is nice. It's a global company.

Cons

Management keeps information very close. Management is backed by their seniors unconditionally, no matter how bad they screw up. Favorites are blatantly played. The smart people who should be promoted (no, I'm not thinking of myself) aren't because they don't go golfing with the CIO or go to happy hours after work.

Stop thinking exclusively about climbing the ladder and think a little about the people you manage. Communicate. Look for solutions that help everyone, instead of just covering your ass.
    I know, it's like that everywhere--but that doesn't mean we should stop expecting it.

Great in spots, just avoid US Commercial / Supply Chain

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome, friendly people, casual attitude and dress, great cafeteria

Cons

Supply Chain is always focused on fire fighting. Self-congratulatory on overcoming some effort that other companies I worked for would have seen coming in the first place. Managers spend about 85-90 percent of their time in meetings, so don't expect to be noticed, regardless of the strengths of your contributions or how good your reviews are. Promotions are limited to a select few who will switch jobs about one a year to 18 months, while strong performers are told they have "vital competencies". Lots of HR games, they avoid EEOC metrics by telling employees they must meet with perspective managers first before applying for a job, that way the employee can be told by the manager they "already have a candidate in mind". No application = no metrics, people that violate this rule are told their applications will be visible to hiring managers, making it look like they are desperate to leave, regardless of their strong performance and time in role. You will literally be amazed at the amount of nepotism in this company, I have never seen anything like it before. While they are very careful not to have relatives work directly for each other, they will put them in support roles, so they have the inside track on information and networking. They will talk constantly about career development, but no one is held accountable for it.

If you are looking to gain valuable experience to use at a company where talent is rewarded, then work here for a while, then go to another company. Stay here too long and it gets bad.

Consider not being so arrogant. There is a constant sense of the way you do things now is so advanced and there is no other way, when other companies are 10-15 years ahead of you. The products you sell are great, but the first time their is a misstep in the market, you'll be without valuable resources to address it, I have watched some of the best talent I have ever seen in a company drain off in the last 3 years and you are so busy in meetings, you never notice.

Ok for scientists, bad for IT

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diversity, benefits, nice offices, summer hours

Cons

No opportunities for growing. If you want to have a decent check with no improvement on your resume ever this is your company. Overtime, the good pay is not that good since your resume would never show an improvement no matter how hard you work. Contractors come and go and you train and train in addition to an extenuos work load. The company lets go older employees and hires young contractors in exchange. Contractors leave when they notice how hard it is to get a full time job. Monsanto revolving doors are a reality.

Offer career paths and focus on employee development

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!