Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated April 27, 2015
536 reviews filtered by

Small team and no one has your back

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Security Officer I in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, second hand equipment, other departments in field will work hand in hand with security team and cooperate with you.

Cons

Bad leadership, long hours, sometimes 14 hour shifts, own teammates will turn you in when they were just doing the same thing as you, they say when your first hired that family comes first, than you discover that your supervisor will tell you to tell your family to suck it up.

Advice to Management

Needs better security team and better management.

Big NO - Worst company,pathetic people, No growth opportunities & wrong job top opt for.

Current Employee - Java Developer
    Current Employee - Java Developer

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, neat and organized office space, cafeteria and gym is good.
    Safety of employees are on priority.

Cons

1. If you and your manager are from same place (Andhra), then you will get lot of benefits like work life balance, better salary, least work pressure, appreciation etc. If not, there is no value for hardwork.
    2.Unorganized work, Uneducated managers and useless tech leads, they are not involved in any development activity like review, assigning task etc. they are just busy gossiping, complaining about people who doesn't belong to their community, delegating the work and buttering.
    4. Lot of discrimination between contractor and full time employee.(cabs, gifts, perks are only for Full time employees)
    5. No salary hike: there is no salary hike depending on performance. person who work/ don't work, hike percentage will be same(6 - 8 % hike on basic salary per year)
    6. very poor & useless HR, nothing in their hands.
    7.Its good for people who don't want to work: people come to office, read news paper, do some gossiping and politics, have lunch, rest, play carrom, TT, coffee, gym and return home.
    8. very few (least) technically sound people present and very poor team management.
    9. There is no learning curve.
    10. No room for career growth. you will be in same position and same salary even after working hard for 5 years.

Advice to Management

management is not aware what's going on in office. When management/leadership visits office, we are forced to give positive feedback.
    They speak a lot about work/ life balance, but they give lot of work, expect us to finish all work asap and comment on work/life balance.
    Please improve the quality of managers.
    Maganers & tech leads: Please grow up, stop delegating the work and start working.

Good salary but bad working environment.

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary
    Emphasis on safety but is on lips service only

Cons

1) Talk only do nothing just always meeting.
    2) Middle management are very weak.
    3) A group of old folks using old method to manage the company.
    4) Not willing to adopt new IT technology
    5) Promotion and annual incentive is based on your relationship with middle management
    6) Working for 4 years only attended 1 training as lower management

Advice to Management

it is time to change else talent will not stay long

5. Large company feel with no room for advancement

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code

Company provided laptop, though it is incredibly slow.

Good cafeteria. They have some pretty decent chefs.

Thats it.

Cons

You are a contractor and will always be a contractor. They do not convert anyone to full employee status.

There is no room for advancement. This place is fine for building some initial experience but after a year or two in your role, it's time to move on to another company.

My number 1 complaint about this company is the security and safety that revolves around everything. They block every website under the sun, even when it doesn't need to be. (Example: They block google chat but not facebook) They have sporadic 'seat belt checks' where they watch every single person arrive to work and tally whether or not they are wearing their seat belts. If you drive too quickly on the campus, their security will pull you over.

They frown on working from home which doesn't make sense to me since they provide you with a laptop and a vpn.

Advice to Management

Hire some people. Seriously, convert some of the contractors to employees. I don't know anyone who wants to stay a contractor their whole career. You wouldn't have such a high turnaround if it weren't for this very reason.

6. aggressive

Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Too much flip-flops in strategy.

Advice to Management

Be honest and consistent.

Extremely aggressive and stressful.

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Adoption of hot technologies.
    Lax dress code and work hours.
    Work from home option.
    Plenty of vacation days.

Cons

Extreme levels of stress.
    High expectations from contractors and employees.
    Massive layoffs if economic conditions worsen.
    Pay is average and doesn't match the level of work and dedication expected from employees and contractors.
    Consultants and employees are expected to deliver from first join they join. This is not an exaggeration.

Long hours and no "thanks"

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

If you like politics, work here! This is the only way to be successful here.

Cons

Must be a "yes" man/woman to be successful - not allowed to challenge status quo. Bonus' and goals are a joke and mean nothing. Your bonus is driven by how much and how well you socialize with the leadership team- that's what they told me!!!! They have gotten away from hiring real people managers. H.R. Allows bullying to continue to take place. I'll have a new boss in 6 months, and 6 months after that- we can only be set up for success, huh? But I'm glad these people decide my livelihood.

Advice to Management

Don't forget our historical culture. Fast growth has caused leadership to lose sight of the competencies and their human assets.

They Pay You to Keep You Around, But When They're Done With You, You're Just a Number

Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Operations Specialist

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary was great...while it lasted.

Cons

The original owner of my company sold to Monsanto to give all of us more and better opportunities. Once we grew a bigger footprint in Corporate America, things began to change. We were always promised more educational opportunities, which never happened, as well as more "house keeping" tasks would come off of our plates and more product-related tasks would be added, which also never happened. We were told July 8th that our Operations Team would be relocating to another office, where there was no room for us. Then we were expected to go in every day and put a smile on and act like everything was ok, until our last day, August 30th. The whole situation was poorly handled. It didn't happen due to the economy, as there are other people in a call center doing our jobs. They always pride themselves on the level of customer service that is offered to their growers. I have kept in touch with a few salesmen and dealers, and there is no level of customer service anymore. When they lose all of their east coast Regional Brand business, they can thank only themselves. Now that I am being forced to look for a job, I can thank them for leaving me qualified to be only a glorified secretary. Because of all of the promises to further my education and my salary, I kept hanging on. Where am I going to be able to find a customer service role making $40K+ per year? I just hope this helps Hugh Grant and Mike Stern to be better able to buy Christmas for their families. Being a single mother with no financial assistance, my daughter is going to miss out on a lot, just so I can keep a roof over our heads.

Advice to Management

When sending an HR representative to fire employees, make sure she has business cards and doesn't write her contact information on post-it notes. How professional...NOT!!

Greedy...unethical,,,discriminatory,,,only cares about profits, not growers

Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas in Filer, ID
    Former Employee - Seed Manager for the Americas in Filer, ID

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well to get the best aggies in the industry

Cons

Very greedy company that sends the message that profits is the target goal...does not care about seed diversity, growers, sustainability or people that don't agree with them. If you don't agree with patents o monopolies you are out. They claim they hire diversity, the truth is that Monsanto is a white company, a minority does not have advancement opportunities or management support.

Advice to Management

How can you sleep when you are killing diversity from humanity, hiding varieties and taking growers to courts? The public will never accept your GMO's created to gain profit not to help humanity.

Unless you are a scientist, don't bother coming here

Former Employee - Project Manager in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than average benefits in St. Louis, which is a sub-standard city to live in. Cheap, but sub-standard.

Cons

Lots of boys clubs, promotions to those who've been there the longest, not who work the hardest. Oh yeah, and if you don't have a science degree prepared to be treated like your job is "not as cool". Be prepared to endure yearly recurring (and boring as hell) training materials that are obviously geared at lab people.

Advice to Management

Please ask yourselves: How come if you manage to attract all the best talent around, why happened to make it become the greatest revolving door? Low retention, decreasing loyalties, people fleeing left and right.