Monsanto Company

Updated December 14, 2014
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for them and they have great benefits

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy but that is to be expected with a big company

none

One of the best employers in the Greater St. Louis area

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with competent leadership team. The LT is as up front concerning the state of the business as possible. Monsanto supports the Greater St. Louis area in many, many ways both financially & many volunteer hours. The company was just named #8 as one of the Best Multinational Workplaces. The total compensation package out shines other local employers.

Cons

Like with any company there are issues...none I to point out here.

Great company

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly values it's employees and pays well and has outstanding benefits. There are also many career opportunities and the culture is very much focused on development.

Cons

Monsanto operates in a matrix and it can be confusing at first and feel like some decisions are slower but it brings a lot of collaboration and networking that helps people connect and share ideas.

WLB

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee friendly. Matrix organization and therefore visibility is very good into other teams and jobs. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

Driving around campus is a challenge getting to and from meetings. The campus spans two sides of the highway and no way other than by car to reach the other side.
    Company growth is amazing, sometimes daunting when you are new and trying to learn.

Town Halls are fantastic. Great way to keep up on all of the global events and strides by people as well as R&D.

Fast paced, AMAZING company who cares deeply for their employees and customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Excellent benefits and compensation. Supportive leadership and great opportunity for career growth.

Cons

People who are outside the company don't know how great Monsanto is nor value the company for its progressive science in agriculture technology.

I Work For a Company Where "Great Place to Work" is More Than Just a Phrase

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly cares about their customers and employees. They have excellent benefits - including their paid time-off policies, flexible scheduling, and the understanding that their employees have lives away from work. They show this through the many things they do for their employees - including some unique programs like the Off the Job Safety group who recently gave each employee a fire extinguisher for their home. They also invest a tremendous amount of time and resources to employee development. I can honestly say that I love working here.

Cons

The company has high expectations and change happens frequently in order to stay ahead of the competition. In addition, they have a highly complex matrix environment that can be challenging - at times - to maneuver. Monsanto also has inherent challenges due to their reputation as the GMO leader.

I think that the company's intranet could be improved, because in the matrix environment it is sometimes difficult to find the person or group you need to connect with for an issue or project. The search tool does not seem to be very helpful or user-friendly. In addition,

The matrix culture works.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Frito-Lay, Price Waterhouse and Bayer Healthcare, the culture at Monsanto us unmatched and is a true competitive advantage. Work-life balance is modeled and fostered. No wonder this is rated as a great place to work. The "matrix" allows and fosters a free flow of feedback, uncluttered by "titles." We get things done and have fun doing it!!

Cons

The speed of people movement can almost be too much at times. While having no silos is a great thing, Monsanto needs to watch moving folks just to move them.

Finest senior management I have ever seen. They are approachable, knowledgeable and people focused. They are also uniquely humble and diverse. This is a major competitive advantage!

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Purchasing Co-Op in Soda Springs, ID
    Former Employee - Purchasing Co-Op in Soda Springs, ID

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

work environment is great, really diverse cuture.

Cons

Hiring process is pretty slow.

My manager is very thoughtful.

IT Intern

Current Employee - IT Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Best place to work! Dress code is really relax and they aren't strict on when you come and go. It is really a free environment. They are really big on you networking with the different departments within the company and shadowing other departments that interest you.

Cons

Didn't have any bad experiences. I will say training for my position probably could have been a tad bit better. But overall I still have learned so much.

Best experience I could have asked for!

Former Employee - Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment was super friendly. The office culture was very relaxed. Work-life balance was excellent. Really drove for networking and advancement.

Cons

Onboarding was slow to start. Re-orgs sometimes made things difficult.