Monsanto Company

Updated December 14, 2014
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Director of QA & Shared Solutions in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director of QA & Shared Solutions in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people process, work life balance, mature leadership. Good technology and tremendous opportunities to learn. You will work with some of the smartest people in the industry. Great place to work.

Cons

None. Nothing that was bad enough to state here.

One of the best companies one can dream working for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are really at the heart of the strategies with a genuine interest in developing their capabilities and make their career progress.
    Open cool culture.
    Constant reviews of how to make the company a great place to work.
    Competitive total rewards approach.

Cons

Very matrix organization which makes it hard to get things going as there are always lots of stakeholders to consider and involve (although this has several benefits as well)

Please be innovative and launch some people oriented solutions or benefits that are not necessarly a standard in the market.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Monsanto is a very inclusive and diverse environment. Employees are encouraged to actively participate in their own development. The matrix organization helps to keep everyone interested and engaged. Work Life balance is modeled and encouraged.

Cons

Monsanto and what the company is trying to do is not well understood by consumers. Sometimes this makes for difficult conversations when socializing with family and friends.

Should be on Forbes Top 100 Places to work!

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Exposure to all functions of the business
    People care about your development and want to see you succeed and grow
    Strong Company Values
    Several Town Halls per year so you can learn what is happening in other functions besides your own

Cons

Non Competitive Maternity Leave Policy

Keep up the great work!

Monsanto is truly an AMAZING place to work!

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

During my working career I’ve had the opportunity to work for 2 of the best employers in the St. Louis area. What sets Monsanto apart from the other company is how much they value my work and more importantly how much they value me as a person.

The flexible work arrangements allow me to spend more time with my family and participate in my child’s school events. I’m very thankful for this benefit because my child will only be young once and I don’t want to miss a moment of something important.

The talent at Monsanto is top notch; my working environment is filled with innovative thinkers, strategic planners and leaders with a global vision.

Cons

Do I work hard 40 hours a week? Yes…but hard work at Monsanto also comes with praise and rewards. When I joined Monsanto I was pleasantly surprised by the culture. For the first time in my corporate career, I was receiving praise from my lead. Tasks that were “expected” of me by my old employer became a value added skill at Monsanto. The encouragement and enthusiasm extended to me by my lead inspired me to complete great work and speak up with improvement ideas.

When I joined Monsanto, I was only thinking of a career…the confidence I have gained in addition to the time they have invested improved not just “me” as a worker, but also as a person.

The work-life balance sets Monsanto apart from other companies. The open door policy keeps communication transparent. Keep the encouraging words flowing and continue to challenge me with new assignments.

Culture, Work Life Balance, Great Leadership!

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is the first company I've worked for that really supports collaboration, transparency and work life balance. People are friendly, supportive and all about teamwork, regardless of function.

Cons

It seems like a significant portion of the staff is hired as contractors, and it is difficult to tell how long it will take for an opportunity for conversion to a full time direct hire. Knowing that you don't get the benefits, bonuses and perks as direct hire colleagues who are doing the exact same work can be a bit demoralizing after a long period of time.

Great Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company! Great people! Colleagues and leaders are caring. Lot’s of freedom to do the job. I had several very satisfying career opportunities. I can develop myself in Monsanto.

Cons

Tons of work! Difficult to prioritize.

Make processes more simple and integrated that would save time for employees. It would help to improve work life balance.

Monsanto has a great culture and work environment!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monsanto cares about me as an employee and as a person! Very concerned about my safety and well being! Leadership cares about my professional development and offer opportunities for growth. Compensation is very fair and annual incentive bonus potential based on company and personal performance is an added perk! Monsanto is like no other company I have ever worked for in my 22 year professional career! It's one of a kind, truly best places to work!

Cons

Some (internal) training opportunities are limited to size/space restrictions and you are on a waiting list for months - would be nice to offer additional classes to accommodate additional learning opportunities. Although Monsanto offers excellent health/welfare benefits, my biggest dissatisfaction is with having to utilize Express Scripts for prescriptions.

I thoroughly enjoy my role, but additional "training" sessions to learn the business and about GMO's specifically would be welcomed. I would encourage and challenge you to consider moving away from Express Scripts as an exclusive provider of prescription drugs. I think if you did a pulse check with the employee population, you would find that this is the biggest negative impact on employees as it relates to the benefits offered - it is my one and only major complaint.

Monsanto- a REALLY great place to work!

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at Monsanto for many reasons. Monsanto values work-life balance, we have a great vacation schedule, we have summer hours on Fridays. Monsanto leadership truly cares about me as an employee- i'm not just a number. Monsanto inspires its employees to have the courage to speak up and share their opinions and views. Monsanto cares about my development and wants to see me succeed and gives me the tools that I need to continue developing. Monsanto has a fantastic 'Total Rewards' package that is pretty hard to top! Monsanto allows you to be who you are.

Cons

It would be nice to have a better parking situation- or bring the shuttles back.

Continue to share your thoughts and vision with your employees. Having a transparent environment is so important and valuable.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto has an excellent office culture emphasizing work-life balance and truly focuses on individual employee development more than any other company I have worked for! Company has GREAT benefits, fair and equitable promotions and salary, and is all around the best company I have worked for and will ever work for!

Cons

No cons about working here at all!

Continue focusing on creating a great place to work and keep employees centric! GREAT JOB!