Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 52 reviews)

• Monsanto takes care of their employees from the standpoint of excellent pay and benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 32 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working here!!!!

Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just an awesome place to work. Awesome people, great culture, great benefits! I left to move to another state where the nearest Monsanto site is too far of a commute. If not I would have continued my career with Monsanto. I started as an Intern and loved the program. Continued for another 5 years in low level management, until I needed to move for my husband.

What an awesome place to work!

My values, ideas and innovations were always given attention and I felt special at my workplace. It was a very fulfilling career and I loved my coworkers! The benefits were top-notch. I couldn't have asked for more.

Cons

Hard to progress as there are so many young, fresh people. Still they compensate your time, growth and performance even if there isn't promotion.

Promote those within, before bringing in new people.

Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development. Most managers understand and support work/life balance.

Cons

Not always easy to move to other roles despite the emphasis on development. There is a lot of organizational changes and if you aren't comfortable with that you will have a hard time in this culture.

Too many management layers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

Decent experience; great for those with no work experience

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Nice people, awesome work-life balance, and very family-oriented. I'm told the benefits are good too!

Cons

Corporate communication, "playing the game". Lots of people have different amounts of pull to bring you in different directions, some more negative than others.

Good to employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They treat employees like gold.

Cons

(Related to the TPS department) An insane amount of corporate friction. Employees are very checked out. The knowledge gap is massive. There's way too many underperforming engineers. The employees are busy doing their at-work book clubs, volunteering for United Way, or some other bull crap while the contractors do the actual work. It's super weird.

Demolish the CA position, it's worthless. Don't be talkers, be doers. Kill the buzzword-laden town hall meetings; employ real content, criticisms, give shout outs to successful teams, live Q&A, etc.

Mind-numbing, but pleasant surroundings at Monsanto

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very profitable firm with good dedication to improvement projects

Cons

Far too many layers of management to get things done quickly

Look for opportunities to streamline decision-making

Casual, many career opportunities

Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You can do what you want - for the most part. As long as you get everything done, but there are a lot of interesting things and a lot of interesting projects and a lot of awesome people-so staying busy is not a problem! IT isn't as advanced as Amazon/Google, but I can't imagine working for a company any less advanced as this. The things they are doing is awesome.

Cons

Monsanto has a truely bad rep. Not because we've done anything wrong. You just have to deal with obnoxious people when you tell them were you work at times.

They use a lot of 3 letter acronyms.

There is a lot of ambiguity during re-orgs- which seem to happen often. Just a statement- not much anyone can do about this

It has been my best corporate job ever! I would love to work for Monsanto again but here in the USA.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Guatemala (Guatemala)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Guatemala (Guatemala)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are serious about designing mentorship plans for new employees in the company to reach their goals, the compensation is competitive.

Cons

Since I had a home office I had limited exposure to office culture, plus this was in an international assignment in Guatemala, Central America.

Company values aren't shared and valued the same way around the world as they are in the headquarters. I can't wait to re-apply to the company for a job opportunity here in the US.

nice place to work

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Monsanto for a year and it was the best work environment I ever had. Attitude of management was fantastic, they always listened for opinions of every team member and treated everyone with respect. Schedule was quite flexible too, my boss told me it's ok to leave early if i don't have any work! That really motivates you to work hard when you do have work to do.

Cons

none that i remember, great company

keep up the good work!

Ethics and safety at priority with very good working environment

Current Employee - Research Associate in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Camaraderie between the employees transperacy in work
    Opportunity given to showcase your talent and suitably rewarded
    Get to work with motivating and highly qualified and experienced leadership team

Cons

No matter how superior you perform your educational background will hinder your promotions to higher level
    Lateral moves are more than vertical

Work life balance is much talked but hardly followed ....