Monsanto Company

Updated November 17, 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 52 reviews)

• Monsanto takes care of their employees from the standpoint of excellent pay and benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 32 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working here!!!!

Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just an awesome place to work. Awesome people, great culture, great benefits! I left to move to another state where the nearest Monsanto site is too far of a commute. If not I would have continued my career with Monsanto. I started as an Intern and loved the program. Continued for another 5 years in low level management, until I needed to move for my husband.

What an awesome place to work!

My values, ideas and innovations were always given attention and I felt special at my workplace. It was a very fulfilling career and I loved my coworkers! The benefits were top-notch. I couldn't have asked for more.

Cons

Hard to progress as there are so many young, fresh people. Still they compensate your time, growth and performance even if there isn't promotion.

Promote those within, before bringing in new people.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

It has been my best corporate job ever! I would love to work for Monsanto again but here in the USA.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Guatemala (Guatemala)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Guatemala (Guatemala)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are serious about designing mentorship plans for new employees in the company to reach their goals, the compensation is competitive.

Cons

Since I had a home office I had limited exposure to office culture, plus this was in an international assignment in Guatemala, Central America.

Company values aren't shared and valued the same way around the world as they are in the headquarters. I can't wait to re-apply to the company for a job opportunity here in the US.

nice place to work

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Monsanto for a year and it was the best work environment I ever had. Attitude of management was fantastic, they always listened for opinions of every team member and treated everyone with respect. Schedule was quite flexible too, my boss told me it's ok to leave early if i don't have any work! That really motivates you to work hard when you do have work to do.

Cons

none that i remember, great company

keep up the good work!

It's the culture

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture promotes open communication and sharing of thoughts and ideas.
    Management tends to be very approachable with a lack of ego and condescension.
    Relaxed atmosphere and reasonable HR policies.
    Very much a team oriented work environment.
    A relaxed environment but still very little tolerance for dead-wood employees.
    After a year or so, it's comparatively easy to make lateral moves to other departments and broaden your skills sets.

Cons

Labor is predominately contractors....challenging to land a full time job there.
    You could work there for 3 years and still be a contractor.

Your lower management manages to be both people oriented as well as mission oriented.
    They balance pursuit of excellence with compassion.
    It would be best to continue down that path of encouraging such management style.

Crop Intern

Current Employee - Crop in Monmouth, IL
    Current Employee - Crop in Monmouth, IL

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a ton of valuable information. They provided great knowledge with cutting edge technology. The management at the Monmouth farm really allowed a lot of freedom and trusted us with our jobs.

Really enjoyed the experience and value the information I learned during that summer

Cons

Long hours were sometimes tough but always were taken care of.

A great, innovative place to work.

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

The work is challenging and there are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills through cross-project collaboration.

Cons

There is a tendency to favor a pipeline mentality, that, while efficient, is less flexible in meeting rapidly - changing research objectives.

Leadership sees way too many polished PowerPoint slide decks from mid-level management in R&D that often don't reflect the data or technical challenges of a project very accurately.

Excellent work culture, excellent benefits

Current Employee - Fixed Asset Accountant in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Fixed Asset Accountant in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits

Cons

career growth is a little slow. Very hard to get a job there.

Great company for challenging you to grow in your skills

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I feel I am pushed very hard to where my skills are developed under pressure. In the end after the day is over I have the work accomplished and have gained new skills. Leadership is great at encouraging innovation.

Cons

Working overtime feels necessary just to get everything done with an understaffed group

Continue to encourage innovation for different ways of doing things. Do not get stuck in a rut doing something 1 way because that's just how it's always been done.

The most underrated and innovate company in the world

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great place to grow as a person and a professional.

Cons

work-life balance and enterprise systems

I had a great manager that equipped me the necessary resources not do my job.