Monsanto Company

Updated January 28, 2015
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly. Matrix organization and therefore visibility is very good into other teams and jobs. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

Driving around campus is a challenge getting to and from meetings. The campus spans two sides of the highway and no way other than by car to reach the other side.
    Company growth is amazing, sometimes daunting when you are new and trying to learn.

Town Halls are fantastic. Great way to keep up on all of the global events and strides by people as well as R&D.

The best company I have ever worked

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Agriculture is one of the best gift we can give to humans. We generate many direct and indirect job opportunities. Our products help farmers to obtain more profits for their crops. Good salaries and additional benefits for employees. Warm care of all the employees. Clean, safe and joyful labor environment.

Cons

Some times leaders or managers are not the adequate people to be leading the company. Our policies, sales forecast/objectives for our customers are not always fare or are very complicated to understand and/or reach. Very High prices of our products.

Job Overload in some areas, few people doing the key tasks and many people in irrelevant positions. Leaders should strongly consider implementing working from home, at least two or three days a week (I'm talking about Mexico Offices). There are many positions easily traceable with clear KPI's which could be rewarded with this model. Company could also save money (less spaces to rent not only in office stations but in parking lots, less coffee, water, food in general, electricity, etc. etc.) Less air pollution due to cars fuel burning, better and major productivity as we would not expense too much time in stressing traffic jams which we could employ in job tasks. I strongly encourage our leaders to consider working from home.

Fast paced, AMAZING company who cares deeply for their employees and customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Excellent benefits and compensation. Supportive leadership and great opportunity for career growth.

Cons

People who are outside the company don't know how great Monsanto is nor value the company for its progressive science in agriculture technology.

I Work For a Company Where "Great Place to Work" is More Than Just a Phrase

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly cares about their customers and employees. They have excellent benefits - including their paid time-off policies, flexible scheduling, and the understanding that their employees have lives away from work. They show this through the many things they do for their employees - including some unique programs like the Off the Job Safety group who recently gave each employee a fire extinguisher for their home. They also invest a tremendous amount of time and resources to employee development. I can honestly say that I love working here.

Cons

The company has high expectations and change happens frequently in order to stay ahead of the competition. In addition, they have a highly complex matrix environment that can be challenging - at times - to maneuver. Monsanto also has inherent challenges due to their reputation as the GMO leader.

I think that the company's intranet could be improved, because in the matrix environment it is sometimes difficult to find the person or group you need to connect with for an issue or project. The search tool does not seem to be very helpful or user-friendly. In addition,

The matrix culture works.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Frito-Lay, Price Waterhouse and Bayer Healthcare, the culture at Monsanto us unmatched and is a true competitive advantage. Work-life balance is modeled and fostered. No wonder this is rated as a great place to work. The "matrix" allows and fosters a free flow of feedback, uncluttered by "titles." We get things done and have fun doing it!!

Cons

The speed of people movement can almost be too much at times. While having no silos is a great thing, Monsanto needs to watch moving folks just to move them.

Finest senior management I have ever seen. They are approachable, knowledgeable and people focused. They are also uniquely humble and diverse. This is a major competitive advantage!

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Purchasing Co-Op in Soda Springs, ID
    Former Employee - Purchasing Co-Op in Soda Springs, ID

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

work environment is great, really diverse cuture.

Cons

Hiring process is pretty slow.

My manager is very thoughtful.

IT Intern

Current Employee - IT Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Best place to work! Dress code is really relax and they aren't strict on when you come and go. It is really a free environment. They are really big on you networking with the different departments within the company and shadowing other departments that interest you.

Cons

Didn't have any bad experiences. I will say training for my position probably could have been a tad bit better. But overall I still have learned so much.

Best experience I could have asked for!

Former Employee - Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment was super friendly. The office culture was very relaxed. Work-life balance was excellent. Really drove for networking and advancement.

Cons

Onboarding was slow to start. Re-orgs sometimes made things difficult.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Distribution in Sauget, IL
    Former Employee - Distribution in Sauget, IL

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Promotions and team work. Perks were great.

Cons

The number of hours could be very high.

Communication to all employees.

I loved working here!!!!

Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just an awesome place to work. Awesome people, great culture, great benefits! I left to move to another state where the nearest Monsanto site is too far of a commute. If not I would have continued my career with Monsanto. I started as an Intern and loved the program. Continued for another 5 years in low level management, until I needed to move for my husband.

What an awesome place to work!

My values, ideas and innovations were always given attention and I felt special at my workplace. It was a very fulfilling career and I loved my coworkers! The benefits were top-notch. I couldn't have asked for more.

Cons

Hard to progress as there are so many young, fresh people. Still they compensate your time, growth and performance even if there isn't promotion.

Promote those within, before bringing in new people.