Monsanto Company

Updated December 19, 2014
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company! Great people! Colleagues and leaders are caring. Lot’s of freedom to do the job. I had several very satisfying career opportunities. I can develop myself in Monsanto.

Cons

Tons of work! Difficult to prioritize.

Make processes more simple and integrated that would save time for employees. It would help to improve work life balance.

Monsanto has a great culture and work environment!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monsanto cares about me as an employee and as a person! Very concerned about my safety and well being! Leadership cares about my professional development and offer opportunities for growth. Compensation is very fair and annual incentive bonus potential based on company and personal performance is an added perk! Monsanto is like no other company I have ever worked for in my 22 year professional career! It's one of a kind, truly best places to work!

Cons

Some (internal) training opportunities are limited to size/space restrictions and you are on a waiting list for months - would be nice to offer additional classes to accommodate additional learning opportunities. Although Monsanto offers excellent health/welfare benefits, my biggest dissatisfaction is with having to utilize Express Scripts for prescriptions.

I thoroughly enjoy my role, but additional "training" sessions to learn the business and about GMO's specifically would be welcomed. I would encourage and challenge you to consider moving away from Express Scripts as an exclusive provider of prescription drugs. I think if you did a pulse check with the employee population, you would find that this is the biggest negative impact on employees as it relates to the benefits offered - it is my one and only major complaint.

Monsanto- a REALLY great place to work!

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at Monsanto for many reasons. Monsanto values work-life balance, we have a great vacation schedule, we have summer hours on Fridays. Monsanto leadership truly cares about me as an employee- i'm not just a number. Monsanto inspires its employees to have the courage to speak up and share their opinions and views. Monsanto cares about my development and wants to see me succeed and gives me the tools that I need to continue developing. Monsanto has a fantastic 'Total Rewards' package that is pretty hard to top! Monsanto allows you to be who you are.

Cons

It would be nice to have a better parking situation- or bring the shuttles back.

Continue to share your thoughts and vision with your employees. Having a transparent environment is so important and valuable.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto has an excellent office culture emphasizing work-life balance and truly focuses on individual employee development more than any other company I have worked for! Company has GREAT benefits, fair and equitable promotions and salary, and is all around the best company I have worked for and will ever work for!

Cons

No cons about working here at all!

Continue focusing on creating a great place to work and keep employees centric! GREAT JOB!

A truly Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Leadership, Opportunities for growth, Great benefits, Overall compensation is competitive and good. Offered care and concern for my family during a personal health emergency. Access to Sr. Leadership in my organization. Summer hours (1/2 day every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day)

Cons

You have to work very hard...all the time. Once you perform at a Superior level, you are expected to always perform at that level. For some, it can be hard to navigate the matrix

More work/life balance, continue to reward people for hard work (even in tough years because the work doesn't stop),

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast moving, agile company. You are able to really direct what you are interested in working on. Great pay and time off benefits.

Cons

Not a lot of extra time to work on additional projects. Must be able to juggle a lot of responsibility. Job changes frequently, even without promotions or compensation increases.

Stop expanding roles and responsibilities without pay increases. Jobs grow larger several times in a year, with no additional compensation or promotion.

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IT - COOP in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for them and they have great benefits

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy but that is to be expected with a big company

none

"It's a great place to work" for some...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great, nice and caring people work here
    Serious devotion to safety
    People who work here are passionate about finding better ways to feed the world
    Relaxed dress code
    Good Benefits
    Decent holidays and vacation time
    Ability to occasionally work from home
    Some employees make great coin and terrific bonuses, but not everyone

Cons

Extremely political work environment. Heart-achingly, soul-crushingly political. Network or die.
    Disproportionately focused on diversity. If you are not female or minority and you are not in sales or a scientist, good luck.
    Monsanto saves money by relying on employees remaining contractors for multiple years.
    "The Monsanto Culture" = Don't rock the boat.
    Work-Life balance is good, but managers do not model it making you feel guilty or anxious about doing it
    Inconsistency. Sometimes a position is posted, sometimes a person is just promoted to it. It depends on what management wants to do.

Share the wealth.
    Commit to developing talent from within. There are a lot of great people in Monsanto who are overlooked when the first instinct is to recruit from other companies or from colleges.

One of the best employers in the Greater St. Louis area

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with competent leadership team. The LT is as up front concerning the state of the business as possible. Monsanto supports the Greater St. Louis area in many, many ways both financially & many volunteer hours. The company was just named #8 as one of the Best Multinational Workplaces. The total compensation package out shines other local employers.

Cons

Like with any company there are issues...none I to point out here.

Great company

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly values it's employees and pays well and has outstanding benefits. There are also many career opportunities and the culture is very much focused on development.

Cons

Monsanto operates in a matrix and it can be confusing at first and feel like some decisions are slower but it brings a lot of collaboration and networking that helps people connect and share ideas.

WLB