Monsanto Company

Updated November 23, 2014
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 52 reviews)

• Monsanto takes care of their employees from the standpoint of excellent pay and benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 32 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Once great, now second-rate

Current Employee - Sales and Operations in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales and Operations in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who you do actual work with are awesome. Friendly, casual attitude and usually will help you out if you have an issue.

The chances to work on charitable project can also be a lot of fun, the rank and file employees truly seem to love to give back to the community.

Cons

Pay - No raises at all, other than cost of living. Bonuses, but their "DPR" process and calibration is so flawed and abused to recognize the politically well connected. They also rate you using a system called "9 Box", where they make high stake promotion decisions, but they will not share that information with you. Again the well connected seem to benefit from that process. Politics is a death-match art here, while co-workers are nice, management is completely in it for themselves.

Promotions - If you are young, white and from the right school, you will do well, so you should apply. If you are a minority this is not the place to work. Check with folks that work there if you doubt this.

Management - Two type: "Fast track" they will work you to death, won't care and then get promoted regularly in about 12-18 months, or the ones that can't be promoted, who just hoard information to assure their spot and take up a chance for someone else to move up the line. There are some good managers here, just avoid US Commercial at all costs.

Development - Monsanto puts it all on you. They say they are there to help, but their HR group is ineffective, thin and their policies are from the 70's. There is a great reason why they have gone through 3 diversity directors in 5 years.

Contractors - Contractors work there for 10 -15 years sometimes. It's positively awful how they will let mission critical knowledge reside with contractors and then when the market gets good, HR wonders why everyone is left doing fire drills to try to make up for a contractor finally getting fed-up they can't get hired.

Streamline management. Pay more than lip-service to development and diversity/inclusion. Don't let mission critical processes and information reside with contractors. Get rid of the multiple layers of useless managers and get back-ups for some of your folks so you can build bench strength. Stop being so arrogant that you are a great company when really talented people are voting with their feet and leaving the company.

SM

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours is a plus

Cons

No Support System to support Agile

listen to the troops

Good to employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They treat employees like gold.

Cons

(Related to the TPS department) An insane amount of corporate friction. Employees are very checked out. The knowledge gap is massive. There's way too many underperforming engineers. The employees are busy doing their at-work book clubs, volunteering for United Way, or some other bull crap while the contractors do the actual work. It's super weird.

Demolish the CA position, it's worthless. Don't be talkers, be doers. Kill the buzzword-laden town hall meetings; employ real content, criticisms, give shout outs to successful teams, live Q&A, etc.

I loved working here!!!!

Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Nursery Supervisor in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just an awesome place to work. Awesome people, great culture, great benefits! I left to move to another state where the nearest Monsanto site is too far of a commute. If not I would have continued my career with Monsanto. I started as an Intern and loved the program. Continued for another 5 years in low level management, until I needed to move for my husband.

What an awesome place to work!

My values, ideas and innovations were always given attention and I felt special at my workplace. It was a very fulfilling career and I loved my coworkers! The benefits were top-notch. I couldn't have asked for more.

Cons

Hard to progress as there are so many young, fresh people. Still they compensate your time, growth and performance even if there isn't promotion.

Promote those within, before bringing in new people.

Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development. Most managers understand and support work/life balance.

Cons

Not always easy to move to other roles despite the emphasis on development. There is a lot of organizational changes and if you aren't comfortable with that you will have a hard time in this culture.

Too many management layers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

Casual, many career opportunities

Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You can do what you want - for the most part. As long as you get everything done, but there are a lot of interesting things and a lot of interesting projects and a lot of awesome people-so staying busy is not a problem! IT isn't as advanced as Amazon/Google, but I can't imagine working for a company any less advanced as this. The things they are doing is awesome.

Cons

Monsanto has a truely bad rep. Not because we've done anything wrong. You just have to deal with obnoxious people when you tell them were you work at times.

They use a lot of 3 letter acronyms.

There is a lot of ambiguity during re-orgs- which seem to happen often. Just a statement- not much anyone can do about this

so so

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Luling, LA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Luling, LA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits overall and excellent work life balance. I enjoyed the people on my team and was very committed to the mission of the company

Cons

Too much internal competition and back stabbing. It all depends on who you know. Don't rock the boat and you will be just fine.

Decent, as long as you're not in a hurry to move your career

Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tools of trade: pretty darn good, most of the time we can get what we need to work, and it is top-level stuff
    Coworkers: nice people, very friendly and ready to help, plenty of good advice and lateral mentoring options
    Work-life balance: top priority for low- and medium- level management, overworking is actively discouraged, family time is encouraged and supported

Cons

Career: there pretty much isn't any movement unless you are an absolute master of political manuvers. Promotions are nearly impossible to get. Personal growth of highly successful individual contributors is not managed well and professional growth is not managed at all.
    Money: initial salary is OK, about right for the area overall but not stellar. Biggest issue is the absolute lack of raises beyond the cost-of-living. Yearly incentives are quite hard to win (beyond average).

It would really help if you deal with the lack of meaningful career path for scientists

Good company if you can get hired on full time

Current Employee - Biologist II in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor

Pros

It's a place to work until you find something better.

Cons

The company is overly reliant on contract workers. It is difficult to move up to a permanent role.