Monsanto Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Office Manager

I have been working at Monsanto Company part-time

Pros

It has flexible schedule and flexibility.

Cons

Clerical duties and low growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Provide more Growth opportunities.

Great company to work for with good benefits. The top company in their industry.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Strong company financially.

Cons

Promote people to management level that have no business being managers. Cut people at will while upper managers and executives garner huge bonuses.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting people to management levels just because they do a lot of meaningless team spirit raw raw raw -ing or have a Ph. D. Ph.D. almost guarantees some management / Lead position. Need to find people who can motivate and lead people, not introverts with zero people skills. Some managers their must have managed in a sweat shop somewhere. Need a better development plan for employees. While Monsanto says they have employee development plans, they really don't. The people who move up are the ones who plan social events, decorate team rooms, organize happy hours, lunches, etc - but have zero people skills, or know their area enough to motivate and train others. You have way over corrected for the woman's movement and have replace the Old Boy Network with the Old Girl Network. Monsanto is a great company, but management is sophomoric at best.

3. IT Professional

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Support for development and investment in new technologies

Cons

Experiences vary by department or team

5. Finance

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Great Company! Challenging environment and solid benefits.

Cons

Not many cons; company has grown and could be becoming a little bureaucratic.

6. Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, good benefits, incredibly interesting work. A person is able to learn new techniques and explore new and different ideas.

Cons

Sometimes the plants decide that their schedule is more important than the researcher's schedule so by necessity, there is a lot of extra time put in at various times of the year.

Advice to Management

Town halls were always interesting and fun, especially when the company received information from the CEO. Cannot think of anything to add. Great company to work for.

Information Technology

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility & benefits. Some talented, passionate people. Tuition reimbursement. Ability to develop yourself, network & meet others at any level in the company. Random people are nice.

Cons

Terrible management. Workplace bullying & retaliation for reporting documented incidents. Sexual harassment- tolerated. HR is a disaster & do not strive to protect employees or enforce common workplace policies (like harassment). Only higher level employees are 'developed'. Unfair compensation. Unfair pay for internal promotions. You have to quit to get accurate compensation, which causes people to learn at Monsanto then take their skills elsewhere. The talented people are typically afraid to speak up for fear of getting a bad bonus. Bonuses are hung over employees heads like a permanent threat. Matrix environment allows for zero management accountability. Coach employees on how to respond to org/corporate surveys.

Advice to Management

If you really care about your reputation, fire the old school-closed minded leaders & focus on your talent. You have it, but you don't take action to develop or protect it. There is a ton of deadweight. Filling out a form is not employee development. Especially when your boss complains about it & tells you it's a joke and no one looks at it anyway. Saying & doing are 2 different things. It's 2015- harassment isn't a joke & neither is retaliation for speaking up about your rights. Women aren't 2nd class citizens & deserve equal compensation. Just because an employee has been there 'forever' doesn't give them the right to abuse their power at will with no repercussions. Great company, but an employee shouldn't have to report harassment 10+ times & still have to be submitted to prejudice & bias' on a regular basis.

8. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Challenging and out of box thinking appreciated

Cons

Very slow in hiring and decision making

9. Operations supervisor 1

Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Great benefits and great people many opportunities

Cons

Limited feedback from upper management on employees future

10. Great, safe company that genuinely cares!

Current Employee - Research Assistant II
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, intelligent co-workers, very safe place to work, everyone is very helpful and compassionate

Cons

Programs move around a lot so if you aren't willing to relocate you could be out of a job

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep good people in same area when programs need to relocate

“Great Place to Work” isn’t just a tag line.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company

Pros

•Amazing peers and leadership •My managers and teams I support make me feel very valued and appreciated •Great work life balance, I am able to work from home when needed. •As a contractor, I am included in business and strategy meetings, as well as training and development opportunities. •I am asked about my goals and what I need to do my job better & more efficiently. I regularly receive formal reviews/feedback on my performance. •I feel my thoughts, opinions and ideas are valued and appreciated. • I know that the benefits package (insurance, 401k, bonus, ext) for perm employees is exceptional •On campus cafeterias, daycare, health clinic, gym, mammography van visits, flu shots, home safely give always (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, car safety/emergency kit)…all accessible to contract employees as well perm. • High value placed on the diversity of employees

Cons

•Heavily matrixed organization can be difficult to navigate and slow down getting things done •Long length of contracts may cause lose of exceptional talent, even with transparency of the business reasons behind the contract. •Culture and benefits are best in class, but moderate pay levels and lack of clear merit based raises may not be ideal for money motivated employees •While when and where you work is very flexible, there are times when you will need to work hard and work a lot of hours. I have always felt the appreciation for the extra hard work but it could be difficult to excel if you are looking for a straight 40 hour a week job

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Love the work you are doing with transparency and advocacy with consumers.

RSS Feed </> Embed