Monsanto Company

Updated January 23, 2015
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast moving, agile company. You are able to really direct what you are interested in working on. Great pay and time off benefits.

Cons

Not a lot of extra time to work on additional projects. Must be able to juggle a lot of responsibility. Job changes frequently, even without promotions or compensation increases.

Stop expanding roles and responsibilities without pay increases. Jobs grow larger several times in a year, with no additional compensation or promotion.

A truly Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Leadership, Opportunities for growth, Great benefits, Overall compensation is competitive and good. Offered care and concern for my family during a personal health emergency. Access to Sr. Leadership in my organization. Summer hours (1/2 day every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day)

Cons

You have to work very hard...all the time. Once you perform at a Superior level, you are expected to always perform at that level. For some, it can be hard to navigate the matrix

More work/life balance, continue to reward people for hard work (even in tough years because the work doesn't stop),

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto has an excellent office culture emphasizing work-life balance and truly focuses on individual employee development more than any other company I have worked for! Company has GREAT benefits, fair and equitable promotions and salary, and is all around the best company I have worked for and will ever work for!

Cons

No cons about working here at all!

Continue focusing on creating a great place to work and keep employees centric! GREAT JOB!

Monsanto- a REALLY great place to work!

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at Monsanto for many reasons. Monsanto values work-life balance, we have a great vacation schedule, we have summer hours on Fridays. Monsanto leadership truly cares about me as an employee- i'm not just a number. Monsanto inspires its employees to have the courage to speak up and share their opinions and views. Monsanto cares about my development and wants to see me succeed and gives me the tools that I need to continue developing. Monsanto has a fantastic 'Total Rewards' package that is pretty hard to top! Monsanto allows you to be who you are.

Cons

It would be nice to have a better parking situation- or bring the shuttles back.

Continue to share your thoughts and vision with your employees. Having a transparent environment is so important and valuable.

Monsanto has a great culture and work environment!!

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monsanto cares about me as an employee and as a person! Very concerned about my safety and well being! Leadership cares about my professional development and offer opportunities for growth. Compensation is very fair and annual incentive bonus potential based on company and personal performance is an added perk! Monsanto is like no other company I have ever worked for in my 22 year professional career! It's one of a kind, truly best places to work!

Cons

Some (internal) training opportunities are limited to size/space restrictions and you are on a waiting list for months - would be nice to offer additional classes to accommodate additional learning opportunities. Although Monsanto offers excellent health/welfare benefits, my biggest dissatisfaction is with having to utilize Express Scripts for prescriptions.

I thoroughly enjoy my role, but additional "training" sessions to learn the business and about GMO's specifically would be welcomed. I would encourage and challenge you to consider moving away from Express Scripts as an exclusive provider of prescription drugs. I think if you did a pulse check with the employee population, you would find that this is the biggest negative impact on employees as it relates to the benefits offered - it is my one and only major complaint.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Senior AA in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee friendly. Matrix organization and therefore visibility is very good into other teams and jobs. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

Driving around campus is a challenge getting to and from meetings. The campus spans two sides of the highway and no way other than by car to reach the other side.
    Company growth is amazing, sometimes daunting when you are new and trying to learn.

Town Halls are fantastic. Great way to keep up on all of the global events and strides by people as well as R&D.

Great Place with Great People

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monsanto is as committed to people as it is to sustainable agriculture, employing a very diverse workforce with endless opportunities for those who take ownership of their career. But also for those who don't, Monsanto provides for a very stable and attractive working environment as long as you perform well. Underperformance gets monitored and may eventually lead to separation. There are processes for everything to guide you in your job and your professional as well as personal development. Pay and Benefits are great and work-life balance is very good but depends on yourself and your managers. Very open door culture where anything can be discussed. Overall truly a great place to work;

Cons

Having excellent development opportunities also has its cons, i.e. high rotation in management positions creates some instability. A complex matrix structure requires agility and constant effort to navigate your way through operational and governance issues (i.e. can too many processes kill efficiency?). The nature of the business and reputation of GMOs does not really encourage a sense of ownership or belonging to the brand "Monsanto".

Change the company name and take a fresh start! Do not kill efficiency with processes, i.e. keep it lean!

The matrix culture works.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Frito-Lay, Price Waterhouse and Bayer Healthcare, the culture at Monsanto us unmatched and is a true competitive advantage. Work-life balance is modeled and fostered. No wonder this is rated as a great place to work. The "matrix" allows and fosters a free flow of feedback, uncluttered by "titles." We get things done and have fun doing it!!

Cons

The speed of people movement can almost be too much at times. While having no silos is a great thing, Monsanto needs to watch moving folks just to move them.

Finest senior management I have ever seen. They are approachable, knowledgeable and people focused. They are also uniquely humble and diverse. This is a major competitive advantage!

Fast paced, AMAZING company who cares deeply for their employees and customers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Excellent benefits and compensation. Supportive leadership and great opportunity for career growth.

Cons

People who are outside the company don't know how great Monsanto is nor value the company for its progressive science in agriculture technology.

I Work For a Company Where "Great Place to Work" is More Than Just a Phrase

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto truly cares about their customers and employees. They have excellent benefits - including their paid time-off policies, flexible scheduling, and the understanding that their employees have lives away from work. They show this through the many things they do for their employees - including some unique programs like the Off the Job Safety group who recently gave each employee a fire extinguisher for their home. They also invest a tremendous amount of time and resources to employee development. I can honestly say that I love working here.

Cons

The company has high expectations and change happens frequently in order to stay ahead of the competition. In addition, they have a highly complex matrix environment that can be challenging - at times - to maneuver. Monsanto also has inherent challenges due to their reputation as the GMO leader.

I think that the company's intranet could be improved, because in the matrix environment it is sometimes difficult to find the person or group you need to connect with for an issue or project. The search tool does not seem to be very helpful or user-friendly. In addition,