Monsanto Company

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 63 reviews)

• Great benefits and the company places a lot of emphasis on professional/personal development (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 37 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

so so

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Luling, LA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Luling, LA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits overall and excellent work life balance. I enjoyed the people on my team and was very committed to the mission of the company

Cons

Too much internal competition and back stabbing. It all depends on who you know. Don't rock the boat and you will be just fine.

Decent, as long as you're not in a hurry to move your career

Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tools of trade: pretty darn good, most of the time we can get what we need to work, and it is top-level stuff
    Coworkers: nice people, very friendly and ready to help, plenty of good advice and lateral mentoring options
    Work-life balance: top priority for low- and medium- level management, overworking is actively discouraged, family time is encouraged and supported

Cons

Career: there pretty much isn't any movement unless you are an absolute master of political manuvers. Promotions are nearly impossible to get. Personal growth of highly successful individual contributors is not managed well and professional growth is not managed at all.
    Money: initial salary is OK, about right for the area overall but not stellar. Biggest issue is the absolute lack of raises beyond the cost-of-living. Yearly incentives are quite hard to win (beyond average).

It would really help if you deal with the lack of meaningful career path for scientists

Good company if you can get hired on full time

Current Employee - Biologist II in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor

Pros

It's a place to work until you find something better.

Cons

The company is overly reliant on contract workers. It is difficult to move up to a permanent role.

SM

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours is a plus

Cons

No Support System to support Agile

listen to the troops

Good to employees

Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Java in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They treat employees like gold.

Cons

(Related to the TPS department) An insane amount of corporate friction. Employees are very checked out. The knowledge gap is massive. There's way too many underperforming engineers. The employees are busy doing their at-work book clubs, volunteering for United Way, or some other bull crap while the contractors do the actual work. It's super weird.

Demolish the CA position, it's worthless. Don't be talkers, be doers. Kill the buzzword-laden town hall meetings; employ real content, criticisms, give shout outs to successful teams, live Q&A, etc.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Biologist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

At least with the group I am with, your work time is flexible. This allows me to get into work early to avoid traffic and be able to pick up my kids right after school. I like that they encourage employees to take "summer hours" over the summer, working later during Mon-Thurs so you can take a half day on Friday. They are also very safety conscience at work and also make you think about safety outside of work and at your home. They allow you to purchase safety related material for your home (fire extinguishers, safety ladders) at their cost. They truly keep their employees in mind.

Cons

Has been hard to find a full-time position. The positions are out there, but they hire from within first, and even if you contract with the company, they still make full time positions tough to grab.

Casual, many career opportunities

Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You can do what you want - for the most part. As long as you get everything done, but there are a lot of interesting things and a lot of interesting projects and a lot of awesome people-so staying busy is not a problem! IT isn't as advanced as Amazon/Google, but I can't imagine working for a company any less advanced as this. The things they are doing is awesome.

Cons

Monsanto has a truely bad rep. Not because we've done anything wrong. You just have to deal with obnoxious people when you tell them were you work at times.

They use a lot of 3 letter acronyms.

There is a lot of ambiguity during re-orgs- which seem to happen often. Just a statement- not much anyone can do about this

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Monsanto Company has good health benefits and a generous match retirement savings plan. The company is very focused on safety and wellness, including incentives for wellness activities. Pay is competitive. I really like the matching gifts program and how they encourage volunteerism. After you log a certain number of volunteer hours, they will send a check to that charity. I think the company goal to feed the world is noble.

Cons

Monsanto tends to hire external candidates instead of promoting from within. Morale on some teams is suffering because of this practice. Work/Life balance is a buzz phrase, but I'm working still 12 hour days several times a month. The hiring process takes MONTHS.

Retention is just as important as hiring good people. You have to keep the ones you have happy, encouraged, and challenged. A response back from HR that a position has been filled would be nice instead of learning that you won't be considered for a role until you see the announcement of the person who got the job. Non-employee friends who have applied for jobs at Monsanto have not received the common courtesy of a response to their application to say thanks, but no thanks. They are left wondering.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are many nice people to work with. I did spend a very enjoyable summer.
    The project is also interesting. And they did provide many intern-unique activities to attend. Also, you could learn a lot, how to apply your school knowledge to real world industries.

Cons

The location is a little too far away. Meanwhile, the food choice nearby is too limited.
    During my internship, there are also constructions around.

Large company feel with no room for advancement

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code

Company provided laptop, though it is incredibly slow.

Good cafeteria. They have some pretty decent chefs.

Thats it.

Cons

You are a contractor and will always be a contractor. They do not convert anyone to full employee status.

There is no room for advancement. This place is fine for building some initial experience but after a year or two in your role, it's time to move on to another company.

My number 1 complaint about this company is the security and safety that revolves around everything. They block every website under the sun, even when it doesn't need to be. (Example: They block google chat but not facebook) They have sporadic 'seat belt checks' where they watch every single person arrive to work and tally whether or not they are wearing their seat belts. If you drive too quickly on the campus, their security will pull you over.

They frown on working from home which doesn't make sense to me since they provide you with a laptop and a vpn.

Hire some people. Seriously, convert some of the contractors to employees. I don't know anyone who wants to stay a contractor their whole career. You wouldn't have such a high turnaround if it weren't for this very reason.