Monsanto Company Reviews

Reset

1. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Challenging and out of box thinking appreciated

Cons

Very slow in hiring and decision making

2. Operations supervisor 1

Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operation Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits and great people many opportunities

Cons

Limited feedback from upper management on employees future

3. Great, safe company that genuinely cares!

Current Employee - Research Assistant II
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, intelligent co-workers, very safe place to work, everyone is very helpful and compassionate

Cons

Programs move around a lot so if you aren't willing to relocate you could be out of a job

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep good people in same area when programs need to relocate

“Great Place to Work” isn’t just a tag line.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

•Amazing peers and leadership •My managers and teams I support make me feel very valued and appreciated •Great work life balance, I am able to work from home when needed. •As a contractor, I am included in business and strategy meetings, as well as training and development opportunities. •I am asked about my goals and what I need to do my job better & more efficiently. I regularly receive formal reviews/feedback on my performance. •I feel my thoughts, opinions and ideas are valued and appreciated. • I know that the benefits package (insurance, 401k, bonus, ext) for perm employees is exceptional •On campus cafeterias, daycare, health clinic, gym, mammography van visits, flu shots, home safely give always (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, car safety/emergency kit)…all accessible to contract employees as well perm. • High value placed on the diversity of employees

Cons

•Heavily matrixed organization can be difficult to navigate and slow down getting things done •Long length of contracts may cause lose of exceptional talent, even with transparency of the business reasons behind the contract. •Culture and benefits are best in class, but moderate pay levels and lack of clear merit based raises may not be ideal for money motivated employees •While when and where you work is very flexible, there are times when you will need to work hard and work a lot of hours. I have always felt the appreciation for the extra hard work but it could be difficult to excel if you are looking for a straight 40 hour a week job

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Love the work you are doing with transparency and advocacy with consumers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice culture and nice people

Cons

lack of recognition for hard working

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales people are supported well. Like to hire from the inside or former employees.

Cons

New people don't have the same opportunities for advancement as longer and more well known employees. Hiring for management are nearly all done before the vacancy is even announced.

Advice to Management

Make a more unbiased hiring practice. Current trend of hiring primarily known employees/former employees for promotion rather than considering outside hires with experience and credentials will stifle creativity and drive good people away.

8. Top notch Co-op Program

Former Employee - IT Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - IT Co-Op in Creve Coeur, MO

Pros

Encourage learning environment Access to new tools and technology Low stress

Cons

I cant find any complains about the position

The Corporate Culture has taken a nosedive.

Former Employee - Linux/Windows Systems Administrative and Support in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Salary is competitive. Great benefits for full timers Quality of coworkers -- Smart, competent people who were very cooperative and collaborative to work with.

Cons

The culture has become that of any large monolithic firm -- blind allegiance to procedure and apathetic towards workers. Obtaining task closure is increasingly difficult due to increase in procedural red-tape in the pursuit of ''Operational Excellence"...You're left with a ton of work that seems to never be completely finished. Fingerpointing is becoming more acceptable due to indifference in middle management who take their employees to task before considering their side of the story. Working at Monsanto is starting to resemble working for The Government.

Advice to Management

When you neglect individual workers for no apparent reason other than blind allegiance to policy and procedure it doesn't go unnoticed. Loyalty will be the first casualty. This will result in it being harder and harder to retain talent...continuity will suffer and expertise won't be fully leveraged. This especially holds true when you consider most of your talent is contact based.

Monsanto IT a study in catchphrases and contractors

Former Employee - Senior IT Support in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Support in Woodland, CA

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

if you are an employee- good compensation

Cons

management- lost in translation. uses contractors to hide poor performing employees.

Advice to Management

stop believing the IT salesmen that come and do slick presentations, a recent multi million dollar investment in dumb terminals called Mon desk was a classic mistake of non IT people making IT decisions and then using seniority and leverage to force it on the clients. stop going to meetings and find out what your teams needs are and then supply them with the tools and support to do the job they were hired for. trust your employees. focus on the support not the longevity of your careers do not use contractors to hide the mistakes of your management. be honest with your employees regarding the direction dictated by your management. give them information not slogans and misdirection stay on point, do not be distracted by new technology, the aim of IT is to support the business not propagate technology for technologies sake. IT is a tool. abandon the doctrine of we expect you to dig the hole and by the shovel, IT should provide the tools for its clients and support them, not force direction and platform on other business units, why should an employee also be his/her own support? is it the new normal that we are not only good at our jobs but know how to fix our own computers? fire half your managers and hire regional IT support, why run a worldwide company IT organization from a city in the middle of the US?

Work really hard, then work really hard on something else!

Current Employee - Breeder in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Breeder in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers/relationships, good compensation package for new employees, lots of opportunities for growth/advancement, great tools to get your job done. Good internal recognition for achievements.

Cons

Very top-heavy on management. Lots of bold decision making and direction changing that can run roughshod over the career plans of an individual. you will spend as much time documenting the work you have completed as you will on actually doing the work. As a breeder, you will earn much less over the course of a career here than with some other companies because there is no connection between sales of your product and your salary (profit sharing is done at a very high level and in a freakishly obfuscated system, no royalties for your products, even if you sell multi millions). Also, you need very thick skin to work at Monsanto, especially in lefty-leaning locations, and you will lose friends and family members who disapprove of your career choice.

Advice to Management

Choose a core focus, and allow people more realistic timelines to achieve those goals.

RSS Feed </> Embed