Monsoon Reviews

Updated June 12, 2014
2.8

David Adams
1 Rating

great place to meet different people at all classes

I worked at Monsoon

Pros

to help people by giving them options

Cons

sometime the victim is asking too much

The most miserable 7 months of my life!!!!

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Monsoon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

70% discount on some beautiful products.
    If you like dressing up, layering outfits and accessories then this is the job for you!

Cons

After re-templating last year, stores are expected to do a lot more with so little staff. As manager you are expected to not use the tills....but the reality is that you are quite often the only person available to process sales. My store had half the amount of staff compared to 2 years ago. The tills are totally unreliable and crash constantly. There is no technology in stores and everything is done with pencil/calculator. Such a waste of time! I brought my own laptop in and done my own spreadsheets. This was not well received. I could not participate in shopping centre events or advertise in the centre. (Which was freeof charge) so while the advert says 'its like running your own boutique' that is utter rubbish! You are fine as long as you become a monsoon robot. Don't be creative, don't jump out of your box that they put you in!!! Don't work for monsoon!!!!!!!

There are three things that I wanted from my area manager.... Open and honest communication..... Constructive criticism....positive feedback. I never got any of these!!!!!! Was so excited to be joining monsoon and was the most disappointing and demoralising experience in my life!!!!

Good Experience (Accessorize)

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Monsoon part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours, always needing staff for overtime
    Staff were friendly and approachable to answer any questions
    Most of the management were lovely, worked really hard and actually did their job

Cons

The Mystery Shop was really annoying, the key phrases and questions made the customer service robotic and impersonal
    Some of the management would draw out paperwork, leaving the shop floor with only one member of staff for prolonged periods of time and making it hard for sales assistants to effectively serve customers
    Had a sense of us vs them with the store staff and head office, which lead to some management taking advantage of the loyalty of their staff and abusing it to cover for them leaving early and not working the hours they were contracted to
    Due to the location the store it would only have a couple of hours a day when it was busy, making it quite boring in slow periods
    As it was located in a tourist spot we were used as an information point and suffered a lot of scams and con artists, head office could have given us more training for this
    Having to wear Monsoon clothing, I was only eighteen but it made me look nearly ten years older!!
    Sales targets were a little misguided for the footfall the store attracted
    The training was pretty much learn as you go and the buddy system was obviously written with larger stores in mind, not the small store I was in, where there was only one sales assistant there for each 4 hour shift

Give training appropriate to location
    Drop mystery shops, they prove nothing as stores know when they are coming and ruin customer service
    Create a better relationship and communication between stores and Head Office and make sure Head Office understand the stores and their requirements

average

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Monsoon part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great customers, lovely ethnic designs, good discount

Cons

work overload, short staffed, very less salary compared to the amount of work.

Monsoon

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Monsoon part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount, pay good great team

Cons

Not always paid correctly, management not always on shopfloor,

Need to learn to get more involved

Look Elsewhere!

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Monsoon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Discount
    Reputable Brand Name
    Fashion Forward

Cons

In some stores you will find Management do not take their fair share of responsibility - e.g. will leave early but state on the time-sheets they worked all day, and will shirk the paperwork to you. Dodgy holiday arrangements so favoured staff members receive more pay than they're entitled too. No formal training given, zero reviews on your progress, no sounding board for any concerns, working till 8 am until 10/11pm during the sales, Incorrect payments, or as in my case, i was not paid and then received an aggressive letter threatening to send debt collectors to my home because they 'overpaid' me when in fact they didn't pay me at all. No effort to integrate new members in to the team or support given to new members, which makes life very difficult for a new member of management to assert themselves, bullying is rife, something i noticed in a few stores, not just my own. Overworked, e.g. a 30 hour contract will creep up to a 46 hour week and there's nothing you can do about it. In the end, I suffered a nervous breakdown, and treated for depression, stress and mood management and yet even now, constantly harassed with letters, phone-calls, still not received the pay owed to me and still receiving threatening letters about debt collections and human resources couldn't care less if they tried. This was supposed to be a dream job with amazing career progression, and it's ruined my life. Avoid at all costs!

Open your eyes.

Wouldnt do retail again but at the time was no problem at all!

Former Employee - Temp Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Temp Sales Assistant

I worked at Monsoon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

met some decent people there during the summer

Cons

some late shifts during sales

Accessorize; Place to work?

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Monsoon

Pros

Excellent Discounts of their products,fair salary, good holidays. One of the leading retail companies therefore very impressive on the CV. Reputable brand name.

Cons

Management not really helpful if you are looking to work youre way up the career ladder. May try to get you to work with very little notice!

Listen to employees needs, allow those who want to progress the chance to show off their potential. Stop changing days of work/rest days at the last minute!

Working at Accessorize

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Monsoon

Pros

Monsoon Accessorize is very fast-forward with the fashion and its products. It's very inspiring and yet a great challenge working within a developing company. Monsoon Accessorize staff work amazing as a team, as everyone participates in providing the best service for customers and the store. We always give each customer excellent service and attend to their needs.

Cons

It can be difficult keeping up-to-date with its new clothing and accessories as new lines are always coming in. Mangement should react to staff's enquiries as soon as they can.

My advice I would give the management is that to push staff for career progression and seek opportunities to help them within Monsoon Accessorize.

bad communication between managers and employees

Former Employee - Temorary Employment
    Former Employee - Temorary Employment

I worked at Monsoon

Pros

50% discount on products, the higher the position, the higher is also the monthly and annual limit.

Cons

Quality of many of the products is not good, but pretty expensive compared to competitors with the same quality. You have to wear only their products at work and a minimum of 4 products. I understand that of course, but sometimes 4 products are too much. Furthermore the discount they give you is really ok, but is limited for temporary workers to 40 euros a month. This is not really that much, regarding their prices. and you have to wear it. No team-meetings were made for the first months after the opening. I know that only for the store i worked in. I cannot say how it was in other stores. No changing room for the clients, so many bikinis and dresses were returned. High expectations from employees, but not sufficient training.

They should definetly listen more to their employees and their feedback, as there were sometimes very stupid orders given that were also very customer unfriendly.