Monster Worldwide

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.7

Timothy T. Yates

Pros
  • In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits, free soda, and they bring in lunch at end of months and quarters (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has lost focus - more concerened with tracking metrics then actual selling (in 18 reviews)

• The threat of being terminated loomed over your head by upper management every single day (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Monster is Awesome and Keeps Getting Better

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I’ve worked for Monster as a Senior Account Manager (IRC) for almost a year, and coming to work here has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

The innovation is amazing. Every quarter I have exciting new products and solutions to tell my clients about.

My clients are wonderful, and on the whole, they get great results. They tell me Monster is their vendor of choice and are open to trying new products.

My coworkers are mature and very bright. If I don’t know how to do something, chances are someone sitting near me does. With people who have worked there over a decade, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience all around me.

My boss is a nice, genuine person. He is there to remove roadblocks and point me in the right direction.

We are a real team. I closed a sale at 6 pm on a Friday night. Almost the only people left in the office were managers and they clapped for me. It was a great feeling.

Oh, and I just was able to bring a friend on board and she likes it a lot too.

Cons

The company would greatly benefit from more women in management, and I'm not even pointing at myself here.

I don’t know what to make of the negative reviews. Maybe things used to be better, but I have looked at many, many similar jobs in the Boston area, and this is by far the sanest company with the best compensation.

I am very lucky that I have a great RSM and Director that care what I think and wish that for all of my colleagues.

Great experience for a while

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Smart people with a lot of pride about the brand and company (when I was there).

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Plenty of pot-stirrers and gossips, but plenty of opportunity to keep focused on your job if that's what you want.

Move on. Environment has been a stale, old boys network for too long.

Started as a great company, quickly went down hill.

Former Employee - Sales Help Desk in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Help Desk in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were some very talented and nice people who worked there. Great training program when first starting out.

Cons

Poor management, not flexible, unrealistic goals and expectations for employees working in call center. There were times when the environment felt more like a high school than a place of employment - lots of gossip, lots of drinking, and just overall mayhem. It was distracting.

Listen to your employees and try to get back some of the magic of the earlier days of the company.

Was great in it's prime but is on a slow death spiral.

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Back in the day (middle '00s), Monster had the talent, technology and atmosphere that made working there quite fun. They practiced the work hard play hard approach. And were poached regularly because of the top talent they had. However, those days are long, long gone.

Cons

Most of the good talent left after significant management changes/decisions and missed opportunities -- not buying Linked in for pennies on the dollar, half attempted "facebook" lite projects like BeKnown, questionable acquisitions, and they even had a stock scandal.
    The rest of the talent soon followed. Their Maynard location (in the old DAC mill) used to be cool, but they have moved most of the development out to Cambridge and Weston, and filled in the holes with cheap outsourcing.

I think it's too late to save the company. Linked-In, Glass Door, hell even Craigslist has taking huge chunks of the market share. Why pay premium prices for stuff that other sites have for free? Unless they gut, and refocus I don't see how Monster can make it.

Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home and vacation. Get ready for high school all over again

Cons

Micro - management. High school atmosphere. Promotions based to friendship rather than the most qualified person.
    Lots of underhanded back stabbing. Company focuses on what they have done in the past (pioneer of the industry) when it should focus on the modern age follow LinkedIn's lead (trying different things)
    Stock plummeted $2 in 2 weeks & CEO sent company wide email saying everything is ok. Either he think all the employees are stupid or he thinks all the employees are stupid.

Your ship is sinking fast. Look around pay attention. Employee morality is at an all time low. Look at your stock
    Just saying

Good solutions, poor leadership

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good solution set and technology, great team members, especially the more tenured folks who are willing to help

Cons

focus is on spreadsheets and micro managing, rather than providing solutions to clients' needs... and karma. Bad systems will ruin good people every day of the week

ceo's #1 priority is shareholder value... which is non-existent at MWW. Not sure how the board hasn't relieved Sal of his duties

Keep on moving

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance.
    Most of First line management "gets it".

Cons

Review their last 8+ quarters of financial reports and you will not need to read anymore of this review
    Huge revenue losses despite multiple rounds of layoffs, office closures and limited marketing spend.
    Quotas change every month and every quarter. The goal seems to not pay sales people.
    Several years of bad bets on technology and solutions that have been major misses with clients.
    Customers wont return calls (need I say any more).
    CEO is an accountant.....that line of thinking rolls down hill (ie MicroManagement)
    No one, I mean no one is interested in any feedback from the field. In fact it is frowned upon by senior leadership and by some managers.
    And most important is the morale is really low and no one seems to care to change it.

Sales force is too large for the limited opportunity. Consider changing that to improve commissions and morale. Willing to bet you win more in the end.
    If not, step down and move on yourself. Time to concede and let new leadership try and revive a once darling brand.

What a Joke of a Company!

Former Employee - Practice Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Practice Leader in Boston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, work from home,

Cons

Everything with the company. it is the sinking ship

Replace yourself with true leaders.

Product Management more like Chaos Management

Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Great people! I worked with some really awesome people I would have loved to have more time with many team members. In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in.

Cons

When I first started here I loved Monster but since the team re org I find that my only solution was to leave. The chaotic micro managing and the sr director becoming bitter before my eyes were my main motivators to move on. Sadly there is no way to give constructive criticism as management is not able to see their part. After having no support no one to ask questions to and realizing I can do all that I do on my own it was clear i could make more money have more control and work in a better organized company.

Talk to your people maybe your CEO isn't the best but try to be a good leader for your employees. Don't be what you always complain about. Also, it would be nice if the VP just maybe said HI to his staff. Your staff struggles because you do not support them, train them or offer an environment where taking ownership of their roles is even possible.

They don't value their employees

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. The managers, and colleagues on the inside sales team were great co-workers. I think their sales training program was fantastic as well. I have never come out of a on-boarding training more ready to go than Monsters. Also, they paid hourly, which also meant they paid over time which made up for a lower salary.

Cons

Too long to list. Poor compensation, weak benefits, lock of respect for sales team. Once you put your 2 weeks in they will doc your pay, or send you a bill. I hit my number while I was there, so I'm still baffled at this. In fact I would be writing a good review until I experienced their exiting process. I only left because I had an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm glad that I left there. Not really any other career opportunities once you get here. Most of the team had been there for 7+ years. I didn't see any promotions while I was there either.

You're employees are trained well and work hard. Start treating them like it...and I don't mean buying ice cream at EOQ. I heard that Monster used to take care of the sales team before Sal came aboard as CEO. Maybe the change needs to be made at the top.