Monster Worldwide

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.6

Timothy T. Yates

Pros
  • In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits, free soda, and they bring in lunch at end of months and quarters (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has lost focus - more concerened with tracking metrics then actual selling (in 18 reviews)

• The threat of being terminated loomed over your head by upper management every single day (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of changes and seems to be getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

big brand and cool technology
    fun working environment in recent months and getting better - managers are stepping it up
    a lot more focus on the employees and the customers coming from senior management

Cons

stressful targets and not rationale
    management needs to be seen and heard more if they want the momentum to keep going

listen to the people doing the work

Challenging sales environment at times but success is attainable.

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Great training (initial and ongoing)
    • Benefits are above average (PTO, 401k matches, HRA)
    • Continued effort to innovate in the recruitment industry
    • Excellent sales resources (reporting, analytics, etc.)
    • Brand recognition when prospecting new business
    • Huge portfolio of products

Cons

• Outdated CRM (moving to Salesforce soon)
    • Sales quotas have gotten very aggressive

Continue to innovate to remain viable in this very competitive landscape.

Good company, great people

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Flexible work times, good compensation, interesting technology, good benefits. Nice people.

Cons

The work was monotonous at times.

Keep focusing on the innovation, try to work on the next big thing instead of making small changes. Improve change management, faster, smaller increments.

Great Career Path

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing potential for growth. Wonderful culture and co-workers.

Cons

The company has had some bad press and the stock is under valued.

Great beginnings but downhill after year one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and coworkers were the best thing at the company when I was there. Everyone was like a family because we were all learning a new company together. Upper management was pretty ok. The site director was probably the only person that actually listened and actually had an open door policy. Not intimidating at all and very nice.

Cons

There was a lot of office politics and unfair management hiring practices. Instead of hiring a capable, educated and experienced agent that has been with the company from day 1 in Florence, they would rather hire someone from the outside and then train them for 6-8 weeks on what an internal candidate would already know. If an internal candidate would make it to the second round of interviews, it would be with a manager that already didn't care for them much or saw them as a threat and would not recommend them because they knew that they were more qualified to be a manager before. There were several customer service representatives that were team managers in another call center but for some reason, did not qualify to do the exact same job at Monster. Confusing right? Then when the new manager gets on the floor, they still don't know what to really do because they're fresh out of training just like a new customer service agent. The team managers that were in place were not professional at all.

Push professionalism amongst the team managers and it will trickle down to the agents. Listen to the employees. If there are many of the same complaint, they all can't be lying.

Product Mis-Management

Current Employee - Product Manager Media Products
    Current Employee - Product Manager Media Products

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Learning a new industry, fun with co workers! Office Campus is beautiful

Cons

When every person on a team except for 2 quit you probably should just run. However, I took the job and believed the BS my director and Sr director gave me as to why ppl jumped ship!! It comes down to the director. She is not only not capable of her own job but can not manage ppl. I have only been here short time but she gossips and tells me negative things the SR Director says or thinks. I do not like having him be used as a 'I'm telling Dad role'. When starting I was lead to believe I was taking the rold of someone incompetent. Now I see its the impossible work load, lack of support and pressure of having a boss hate you that lead to an entire team quitting.

Get a new director for this role, get some ppl who are passionate in these roles. Lets start getting a head and not falling behind. To the Sr Director I would go talk to the ppl who left and get the real story before barking orders.

Global Account Manager

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Growing suite of tools and buttoned up solutions engineers. Flexibility working from home.

Cons

Reasons why reps are leaving:
    1) Comp plan is sub par.
        -- if over 130%, payout is less!?
        -- under 60% on massive quotas, $0 payout.
    2) Customer service is a joke.
    3) No brand recognition with millennials.
    4) Outdated UI

1) Fix the comp plan immediately.
      --meet your overage goal by say 130%? Double commission or at least pay more vs. less.
      --under quota but brought in $1M , offer some form of compensation.
    2) Move CS back to MA and/or incentivise service reps to take pride in clients' performance success.
    3) Online mkt has good ROI, it's time to spend on commercials.

There is still promise, but let's fix this ship before we become a case study.

Telesales Small Business Account Manager

Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Great Co Workers, Monster really knows how to hire good people to work with. Paid well for the Florence SC area. Great place to get experience to go work somewhere better. If it hadn't been for my time with monster I wouldn't have my current position which I love.

Cons

I worked in the Florence SC Office and I can only speak for THIS office! Management is stressed to the max and doesn't communicate with the reps about what needs to be done. The focus switched from being about sales to you better be making those 75 calls a day or else. It doesn't matter if you hit quota of not they don't treat you any better. I was a top performing rep with one of the highest quotas in the center and my manager would come to me and expect me to make more to cover the slack from other team members. If I've already hit my $80,000 for the month you can't expect me to haul in that much more to cover for under performing co workers. If they're under performing let them go and replace them. Very VERY poor communication although you could tell the atmosphere in this office changed no one really knew why or what we could do and not do anymore since many rules changed. When I started working here I worked independently with very little supervision, if a question came up and I needed assistance I could go to colleagues or my manager or other managers in his absence. After the first year this was a big no no. One manager allowed one thing while others did not. There was no consensus for what could and could not be done. In my last few months I felt my job wasn't even needed truly because I couldn't even make a sale without approval from the manager, director, CEO, Pricing team, the legal department and so forth. It became ridiculous how many channels a sale had to go through just to be approved. I lost a $30,000 sale because it took 3 weeks for approvals on the sale. Not to mention I tried to starting on this early and was repeatedly ignored by my manger until the very last minute. Another big problem came from the introduction of the new products in the last 6 months of so. It wasn't about finding customers that needed these services it was about shoving them down their throats until they bought them or walked away. I lost 2 larger sales because the customer didn't want the Twitter Cards($150) so my manager wouldn't approve the deals which were $10,000 or more. Personally I think it's stupid to let deals like that walk away over $150 product. I was literally told as a direct quote from my supervisor that these products needed to be on every quote whether the customer wanted the products or not. To me this is a big issue. I'm responsible for the renewal next year and if I give you products you don't need, wants or use you will NOT renew next year. Those are simple facts.

Communication, bring back a decent working environment, stop threatening to fire people you can't afford to lose and get rid of those that are bringing you down. Put set rules in place and if sales have to go through so many channels just get rid of your sales reps and have the managers handle everything because that is what it seems to be trending to anyways. Starting worrying about the customer instead of the number and maybe the stock prices will stop tanking. No one wants to be sold but everyone wants to buy SO STOP TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE INTO THINGS THEY DONT WANT. That's how Monster got into trouble in the first place.

Glory Days have passed it by

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (home office)
    Above average pay/benefits
    Generous T&E Policies
    Good training programs

Cons

Highly Stressful work environment, all about the stock price not focus on customers and letting rest take care of itself. Boys at top would beat up layers below them and it would trickle down to all levels.
    Poor territory alignments
    Reps would frequently call into others accounts/ some managers all about own career advancement to care much
    "New Monster" products like Twitter cards irrelevant, need to greatly simplify product set

Majority of people at Monster no longer like it esp those who have worked there for more than a few years. Yet they feel stuck and hang on for good pay/options or waiting for a buyout that may never come. Many of best reps have left for other companies even if pay is a little less or if they need to make millions to go start own business ventures.

OK

Former Employee - IRC in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IRC in New York, NY

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice PTO, fun environment, hard work can pay off.

Cons

They care more about call stats than sales.

Listen to your people on the front lines.