Monster Worldwide

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

Timothy T. Yates

Pros
  • In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits, free soda, and they bring in lunch at end of months and quarters (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has lost focus - more concerened with tracking metrics then actual selling (in 18 reviews)

• The threat of being terminated loomed over your head by upper management every single day (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Monster pays well but they have no organization. They change their business-model at the drop of a hat.

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was great, $65,000/annual with bonus structure; working remote. Developed many skills with the help of fellow teammates and support personnel. Offered home office equipment and expense account via Visa credit card.
    Never had any issues getting reimbursement.

Cons

The company doesn't have a clue what they are doing. The rules are different from person to person and from manager to manager. I found management to be worthless in supporting sales reps and in knowing the job that they expected the reps to do. I had three managers in 2 years, four different account lists and various supporting cast that changed with the wind. The CEO is invisible as is the rest of the folks in the ivory tower in NY.
    Monster has a horrible way of talking bad about present and former employees to customers. They broke various laws that I saw and will never pay the price.
    They tend to put certain people in no-win situations and then critique them on lack of performance.
    Sal is a freaking joke as is the rest of upper-level management. They are totally out of touch with the grunts in the field.
    HR is a joke as well, they are clueless as to how to run a HR office.

MICRO-MANAGEMENT is the name of the game here.

Treat people like people and quit pushing the envelope where employment laws are concerned. Learn to communicate with everyone and give new ideas a chance to work before you change everything.

Horribly Run Company

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are not a lot of good people there so it can be relatively easy to get promoted.
    Work-Life balance is good. Virtually 9 to 5.

Cons

CEO has no clue how to run a technology company or how to innovate.
    Always focused on meeting analyst expectations for the quarter.
    No real long term vision.
    Horrible software development practices that are very waterfall-y.
    Offices are sad places with offices and cubicles.
    Virtually no perks unless you consider a Flavia coffee machine a perk.

Monster needs a new CEO and the board needs to fire Ianuzzi.

For many years Monster was a great place to work but over time poor leadership has eroded the culture.

I worked at Monster Worldwide (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance plan, good pay.

Cons

The company spends more time marketing internally than externally. Leadership has made terrible investments over the past 7 years without consequence other than killing the business. Internally its so micromanaged at this point that employees can't perform the duties of their job. If you're in sales you are in a no win, ultra micro managed situation facing a huge quota in a shrinking market. If you're in any other division you are floating and coasting trying to stay off the radar. If you enjoy taking vacations you might want to reconsider working here.

Practice what you preach... For a life improvement career minded company you should be able to identify a culture issue when 100 years of experience gives their notice in one quarter. Its been 4-5 years since SeeMore was rolled out... Its a failure, move on.

Help Desk Worker

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Easy to excel and get new job titles. Good wage increase annually. Very progressive workplace for the most part. Very relaxed environment with the exception of the work. Not a hard place to get a job either. Was an easy place to get on with and work 2nd shift while I earned a degree in the day.

Cons

Some management incompetent. Company is going down hill financially. Wouldn't recommend getting on at this time.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Direct management is great, but unfortunately that's where it stops.

Cons

The company is in a state of constant "catch up" with the competition. For someone who consistently hit their quota for 12+ quarters in a row, growing their book of business by nearly 200%, Monster is making quotas almost unattainable. This unfortunately causes the same amount of production from the entire sales team, but without having to pay bonuses and compensation to them.

With such a tremendous turnover rate, why not focus on the the overall morale of the sales force to assure that you are keeping the best talent. Raises? The only way to get a raise is the threaten to quit for a new opportunity. Why not change that? Incentives? They offer company stock (which is at an all time low) as a sales incentive, with a 4-year vesting period! With a high turnover rate, employees and employers know that going into the contest, that there is no chance they will still be an employee by the time the shares vest! Lastly, the company is led by a group of people with a "banker" mentality with only focusing on bottom line numbers. It feels as if, they focus on how they can "screw" their own employees to save money, than to become the market leader that they once were. Change the executive teams thought process to more of a "sales" mindset, to not only encourage more productivity, but a better work environment.

Constant Chaos and Clueless Management

Current Employee - Mid-Market Sales in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Sales in Florence, SC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, benefits and nothing more. The company pays a base salary higher than the average for this part of the country but they treat employees terribly and cannot retain their talent.

Cons

After over two years at this company, I have watched the revolving door of talent steadily increase. This is due to the poor treatment of their employees that begins with the Site Director and works its way down through nearly every person who identifies herself or himself as a manager. The management style here is hostile and grinding.

My sales goals have been met 7 out of 8 quarters with this company. I have been there just over 2 years and I have watched the management steadily decline. There used to be an HR person onsite but with her departure, it has become open season on all employees in this call center. There are constant inappropriate conversations and vulgarities used by management as a whole to "motivate" people. There are standard practices here that would never be allowed by any other publicly traded company.

Employee development here is also very poor. This is very much due to trainers who have no idea about education. The people in charge of training are chanting mantras that were abandoned in the 1990s. They do not understand how to connect to employees. This results in new employees coming to the floor completely unprepared. Many of the newer employees become frustrated and leave. This company does not understand that you train a dog but you educate people and employees.

Managers manipulate numbers, results and accounts in order to favor and punish those they are in charge of. If you question these practices, you are marked as a troublemaker. There is a level of dishonesty that is an understood part of the corporate culture in this office. The managers force the results they want to produce by switching accounts from one employee to another when the account contact decides to stop doing business with the company. This leaves the employee who receives the account with a goal he or she cannot possibly attain.

There is no value on work-life balance here. Until recently, employees were coerced into taking home their laptops while at the same time being denied overtime. Overtime pay, by the way, was part of the original offer letter that all employees received. These practices are just a few that are resulting in people leaving on a weekly basis.

Products here are simply renamed once they stop performing. In the period of 18 months, the recruiting service has been renamed four times. In addition, the company has tried to re-brand its previous failures by acquiring new partnerships with Talent Bin and Twitter in the hope of being seen as a leader in the industry. They constantly ignore market trends until a competitor becomes successful and then they try to copy the model of the competitor. Few clients and potential clients are fooled by this tactic. Meanwhile, employees are forced to sell specific products regardless of their effectiveness or relativity.

Stop the attempted re-branding and forced product selling. Stop loading down your product and service offerings with solutions that do not perform. Find competent managers who understand the market and who will listen to the many employees and customers who are leaving you on a regular basis. There is a message there.

Product Management more like Chaos Management

Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Great people! I worked with some really awesome people I would have loved to have more time with many team members. In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in.

Cons

When I first started here I loved Monster but since the team re org I find that my only solution was to leave. The chaotic micro managing and the sr director becoming bitter before my eyes were my main motivators to move on. Sadly there is no way to give constructive criticism as management is not able to see their part. After having no support no one to ask questions to and realizing I can do all that I do on my own it was clear i could make more money have more control and work in a better organized company.

Talk to your people maybe your CEO isn't the best but try to be a good leader for your employees. Don't be what you always complain about. Also, it would be nice if the VP just maybe said HI to his staff. Your staff struggles because you do not support them, train them or offer an environment where taking ownership of their roles is even possible.

Sales Engineer

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Strong brand and client base

Cons

Market is changing and it takes time to change

Fraternity Style Environment

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers career opportunities and promotes from within. Work-life balance is good - no need to take work home at high. Compensation is higher than industry standard.

Cons

Office culture was like a fraternity party with drinking on the job and rampant unprofessional behaviors. While the corporate culture was good, the local office culture goes back to the local management.

Professionalism at the top creates professional in the office.

They don't value their employees

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. The managers, and colleagues on the inside sales team were great co-workers. I think their sales training program was fantastic as well. I have never come out of a on-boarding training more ready to go than Monsters. Also, they paid hourly, which also meant they paid over time which made up for a lower salary.

Cons

Too long to list. Poor compensation, weak benefits, lock of respect for sales team. Once you put your 2 weeks in they will doc your pay, or send you a bill. I hit my number while I was there, so I'm still baffled at this. In fact I would be writing a good review until I experienced their exiting process. I only left because I had an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm glad that I left there. Not really any other career opportunities once you get here. Most of the team had been there for 7+ years. I didn't see any promotions while I was there either.

You're employees are trained well and work hard. Start treating them like it...and I don't mean buying ice cream at EOQ. I heard that Monster used to take care of the sales team before Sal came aboard as CEO. Maybe the change needs to be made at the top.