Monster Worldwide Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

3+ Years with No Improvement.

Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Manager in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Manager in Florence, SC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and an excellent benefits package. Other than those two points, it is impossible to meet the 20 word minimum required for this topic.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance; management that is ill-prepared to provide any sort of leadership. They are only able to spout platitudes and numbers. Mangers in the local office and beyond are all missing the ability to lead and inspire their employees. They rule by threat and intimidation. Morale among the people who do the work is at an all-time low and this office has become the proverbial revolving door. More people who have been successful choose to leave on a regular basis. Some are not even leaving for new jobs. They just want out. The leadership from the top down at this location and from the outside executives who visit is thin. There has not been a new message of strategy in over 3 years. They just keep re-branding the same old tired mantras that date back to the 1990s and hope that none of the employees question them. The open door policy here is really just and invitation to exit the company. Honest feedback from the employees is not a core value here.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people into leadership positions from VP to Team Leads who only recycle your failing philosophies back to you. Do something about the ridiculous multi-layered management structure. Find a way to salvage the talent that has been loyal to you over the years and when front-line managers start to lose good people, hold them accountable. Your people leave because they cannot work for this weak and insecure leaders.

run far away

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

there are none. This is a soul crushing place to work.

Cons

low pay, no raises, no professional development, no future

Advice to Management

value your employees, even just a litt.e

Customer service representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Friendly co-workers, work is really not that hard.

Cons

Prefer to have longer lunch breaks, only got 30 minutes and going out to get something eat took up all of that time.

Advice to Management

Reward hour good workers more and try not discourage new hires by letting the QA team place too much reflection on minor errors.

Great place to work back in the day

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Even at entry level, received exposure to senior management. Ability to wear different hats. Fast paced environment. Good brand.

Cons

Had a lot of different bosses which can be unsettling at times.

Advice to Management

Bring back/foster the passion and noble purpose of the early days.

Director

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

I worked with great people

Cons

Leadership does not engage, no innovation

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in Monster for a year. I really enjoy working for this company. It has a great work atmosphere. There is a lot of trust on employees and flexibility. Competitive salary and good benefits, as well as in office perks like free lunches from time to time, outing activities, etc. Overall, positive environment.

Cons

Moving up in the company can be a bit complicated because there are not many manager jobs, which could be frustrating. Because of previous management, employees in general were demotivated and working culture wasn't at its best. Seems to be improving with the new management.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing to return things to the way they were and keep moving forward.

Good company that has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility, work-life balance, PTOs -Beautiful new facility with great amenities. Fun and relaxed environment. Challenging and always changing projects

Cons

-Senior management has lost focus - more concerned with tracking metrics then actual selling -The threat of being terminated loomed over your head by upper management every single day -Poor salary

A Great Company that Let it all Go

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with Monster for 9 years. In the beginning, work life balance was great. I was making excellent money (six figures every year). It was stressful as with any sales job but was still fun and exciting mainly because of the people. Set hours so no taking your work home with you, which allows you to enjoy your family/ free time. Good benefits, Including a 401k which the company matched. Raises every year in the beginning based on performance. Sales achievers trips. I have some amazing memories with this company.

Cons

Unfortunately, most of the things that made the company and culture great stopped. No sales trips, no raises, and it became extremely hard to hit your number unless you are part of the favorites club. Management completely ruined the company. What was once so promising has become a dinosaur in the industry and I don't see how that can be fixed. I stuck around long enough to hear the plans to rebuild and couldn't see their vision. Micromanaging at its worst. Only there for shareholders, company could care less about the customer. In fact, as a sales rep they made it extremely hard to hit your number and make money without getting customers to buy products only to make Monster look better. In a lot of cases these were not products these customers even needed. I started with Monster because I felt I was helping people and making a difference....it happened to pay well and was fun which was icing on the cake. In the end I felt guilty, I was doing a disservice to my customers all for a buck. Management could care less, they are all about looking good. They rule by fear and threaten to fire you if you speak up, mainly because they themselves do not know how to manage.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees... They want to be successful too. They are the ones on the front line, let them help you right this ship. I still have a lot of friends and stock with the company and I would love to see there be a change. I do not know how Tim Yates is managing things as he took over just after I left but hope he is not running it the same way Sal did. Bring back the sales trips and raises each year.....sales people are in sales for a reason.

I love my job, I chose it and happy with my choice.

Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

The company is headed in a very positive direction. No job is perfect but it's all about your perspective. Your choice of whether the glass is half full or half empty. Your choice to work there and your choice to make the best of that decision.

Cons

Petty people trying to spoil it for the rest of us who have positive outlooks on what we CHOSE as a career. We can't expect perfection in a place when we ourselves aren't perfect beings.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. I appreciate how successful you've helped me become.

Account Manager

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, work/life balance, decent benefits. Monster seems to FINALLY be trying to reinvent itself and has made a few good acquisitions and product launches. It may be too little too late but at least there is an effort to change.

Cons

Moral is very low. Fear based culture. Managers ignore their direct reports while trying desperately to impress the executives. There seems to be a struggle between what Monster really is...Are we a job board? A software company? A media company? Monster is trying to be everything to everyone and as a result not doing anything very well at all.

Advice to Management

Your employees want Monster to win but you have to bring the fun back to the workplace. There is a huge lack of passion and enthusiasm which our customers feel.

RSS Feed </> Embed