Monster Worldwide

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.7

Timothy T. Yates

Pros
  • In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits, free soda, and they bring in lunch at end of months and quarters (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has lost focus - more concerened with tracking metrics then actual selling (in 18 reviews)

• The threat of being terminated loomed over your head by upper management every single day (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Direct management is great, but unfortunately that's where it stops.

Cons

The company is in a state of constant "catch up" with the competition. For someone who consistently hit their quota for 12+ quarters in a row, growing their book of business by nearly 200%, Monster is making quotas almost unattainable. This unfortunately causes the same amount of production from the entire sales team, but without having to pay bonuses and compensation to them.

With such a tremendous turnover rate, why not focus on the the overall morale of the sales force to assure that you are keeping the best talent. Raises? The only way to get a raise is the threaten to quit for a new opportunity. Why not change that? Incentives? They offer company stock (which is at an all time low) as a sales incentive, with a 4-year vesting period! With a high turnover rate, employees and employers know that going into the contest, that there is no chance they will still be an employee by the time the shares vest! Lastly, the company is led by a group of people with a "banker" mentality with only focusing on bottom line numbers. It feels as if, they focus on how they can "screw" their own employees to save money, than to become the market leader that they once were. Change the executive teams thought process to more of a "sales" mindset, to not only encourage more productivity, but a better work environment.

Once an innovator in the talent acquisition this company has lost touch with job seekers and employers globally

Current Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is excellent. It allows for an amazing work-life balance. It provides the opportunity to spend a great deal of time with your family, managing your home, and out of work responsibilities. The pay and commission are pretty awesome for the online recruiting space. Expectations are not that high. It's understood that LinkedIn has taken over as the top played in the space and we are a commodity that races to the bottom on price.

Cons

Lack of a differentiated product, poor regional management, and incompetent VP's and senior executives. They have no idea of where they are going or how to be successful.

It is so broken it would be difficult to reshape this dying organization. The new products that have been rolled out are simply not scalable or even remotely what the market is looking for.

Constant Chaos and Clueless Management

Current Employee - Mid-Market Sales in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Sales in Florence, SC

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits and nothing more. The company pays a base salary higher than the average for this part of the country but they treat employees terribly and cannot retain their talent.

Cons

After over two years at this company, I have watched the revolving door of talent steadily increase. This is due to the poor treatment of their employees that begins with the Site Director and works its way down through nearly every person who identifies herself or himself as a manager. The management style here is hostile and grinding.

My sales goals have been met 7 out of 8 quarters with this company. I have been there just over 2 years and I have watched the management steadily decline. There used to be an HR person onsite but with her departure, it has become open season on all employees in this call center. There are constant inappropriate conversations and vulgarities used by management as a whole to "motivate" people. There are standard practices here that would never be allowed by any other publicly traded company.

Employee development here is also very poor. This is very much due to trainers who have no idea about education. The people in charge of training are chanting mantras that were abandoned in the 1990s. They do not understand how to connect to employees. This results in new employees coming to the floor completely unprepared. Many of the newer employees become frustrated and leave. This company does not understand that you train a dog but you educate people and employees.

Managers manipulate numbers, results and accounts in order to favor and punish those they are in charge of. If you question these practices, you are marked as a troublemaker. There is a level of dishonesty that is an understood part of the corporate culture in this office. The managers force the results they want to produce by switching accounts from one employee to another when the account contact decides to stop doing business with the company. This leaves the employee who receives the account with a goal he or she cannot possibly attain.

There is no value on work-life balance here. Until recently, employees were coerced into taking home their laptops while at the same time being denied overtime. Overtime pay, by the way, was part of the original offer letter that all employees received. These practices are just a few that are resulting in people leaving on a weekly basis.

Products here are simply renamed once they stop performing. In the period of 18 months, the recruiting service has been renamed four times. In addition, the company has tried to re-brand its previous failures by acquiring new partnerships with Talent Bin and Twitter in the hope of being seen as a leader in the industry. They constantly ignore market trends until a competitor becomes successful and then they try to copy the model of the competitor. Few clients and potential clients are fooled by this tactic. Meanwhile, employees are forced to sell specific products regardless of their effectiveness or relativity.

Stop the attempted re-branding and forced product selling. Stop loading down your product and service offerings with solutions that do not perform. Find competent managers who understand the market and who will listen to the many employees and customers who are leaving you on a regular basis. There is a message there.

Product Management more like Chaos Management

Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Great people! I worked with some really awesome people I would have loved to have more time with many team members. In the beginning the work life balance was great but that quickly changed about 2 years in.

Cons

When I first started here I loved Monster but since the team re org I find that my only solution was to leave. The chaotic micro managing and the sr director becoming bitter before my eyes were my main motivators to move on. Sadly there is no way to give constructive criticism as management is not able to see their part. After having no support no one to ask questions to and realizing I can do all that I do on my own it was clear i could make more money have more control and work in a better organized company.

Talk to your people maybe your CEO isn't the best but try to be a good leader for your employees. Don't be what you always complain about. Also, it would be nice if the VP just maybe said HI to his staff. Your staff struggles because you do not support them, train them or offer an environment where taking ownership of their roles is even possible.

Sales Engineer

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Strong brand and client base

Cons

Market is changing and it takes time to change

Fraternity Style Environment

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers career opportunities and promotes from within. Work-life balance is good - no need to take work home at high. Compensation is higher than industry standard.

Cons

Office culture was like a fraternity party with drinking on the job and rampant unprofessional behaviors. While the corporate culture was good, the local office culture goes back to the local management.

Professionalism at the top creates professional in the office.

Management team always has your back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Training Programs, Management team always has your back

Cons

HR Benefits are sparse and over priced. Out of the last 9 years, raises were only given out three times and its been over four years since a bonus was seen.

Promote from within, seems that a lot of people here start in a positon and stay in the same position.

Constantly evolving with plenty opportunity for development.

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

If you are willing to devote your work life to Monster, you will invariably be rewarded with new opportunities.

Cons

Slow to react to changing market conditions (although this seems to have changed lately).

Observe what is going on in the online recruitment space - it's as if everyone else at the company knew about social recruiting and the threat LinkedIn would pose.

They don't value their employees

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people. The managers, and colleagues on the inside sales team were great co-workers. I think their sales training program was fantastic as well. I have never come out of a on-boarding training more ready to go than Monsters. Also, they paid hourly, which also meant they paid over time which made up for a lower salary.

Cons

Too long to list. Poor compensation, weak benefits, lock of respect for sales team. Once you put your 2 weeks in they will doc your pay, or send you a bill. I hit my number while I was there, so I'm still baffled at this. In fact I would be writing a good review until I experienced their exiting process. I only left because I had an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm glad that I left there. Not really any other career opportunities once you get here. Most of the team had been there for 7+ years. I didn't see any promotions while I was there either.

You're employees are trained well and work hard. Start treating them like it...and I don't mean buying ice cream at EOQ. I heard that Monster used to take care of the sales team before Sal came aboard as CEO. Maybe the change needs to be made at the top.

Great opportunity: Opens doors professionally, gain global-based project perspective

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Strong recognizable brand name— adding Monster to your resume may help open some doors for you as it did for me. Opportunity to work on projects with international reach. Personally, I had a excellent direct manager who believed in investing in the growth of his team, offering some training on the job. Good work-life balance. Nice scenic and convenient location in the Cambridge / Kendall branch.

Cons

Product managers seemed somewhat clueless at times. Semi-aloof culture — not a particularly warm company toward contractors. You may find pockets of friendly people even if they aren't in your own department.