Monster Worldwide Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great beginnings but downhill after year one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and coworkers were the best thing at the company when I was there. Everyone was like a family because we were all learning a new company together. Upper management was pretty ok. The site director was probably the only person that actually listened and actually had an open door policy. Not intimidating at all and very nice.

Cons

There was a lot of office politics and unfair management hiring practices. Instead of hiring a capable, educated and experienced agent that has been with the company from day 1 in Florence, they would rather hire someone from the outside and then train them for 6-8 weeks on what an internal candidate would already know. If an internal candidate would make it to the second round of interviews, it would be with a manager that already didn't care for them much or saw them as a threat and would not recommend them because they knew that they were more qualified to be a manager before. There were several customer service representatives that were team managers in another call center but for some reason, did not qualify to do the exact same job at Monster. Confusing right? Then when the new manager gets on the floor, they still don't know what to really do because they're fresh out of training just like a new customer service agent. The team managers that were in place were not professional at all.

Advice to Management

Push professionalism amongst the team managers and it will trickle down to the agents. Listen to the employees. If there are many of the same complaint, they all can't be lying.

Global Account Manager

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Growing suite of tools and buttoned up solutions engineers. Flexibility working from home.

Cons

Reasons why reps are leaving: 1) Comp plan is sub par. -- if over 130%, payout is less!? -- under 60% on massive quotas, $0 payout. 2) Customer service is a joke. 3) No brand recognition with millennials. 4) Outdated UI

Advice to Management

1) Fix the comp plan immediately. --meet your overage goal by say 130%? Double commission or at least pay more vs. less. --under quota but brought in $1M , offer some form of compensation. 2) Move CS back to MA and/or incentivise service reps to take pride in clients' performance success. 3) Online mkt has good ROI, it's time to spend on commercials. There is still promise, but let's fix this ship before we become a case study.

Telesales Small Business Account Manager

Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Great Co Workers, Monster really knows how to hire good people to work with. Paid well for the Florence SC area. Great place to get experience to go work somewhere better. If it hadn't been for my time with monster I wouldn't have my current position which I love.

Cons

I worked in the Florence SC Office and I can only speak for THIS office! Management is stressed to the max and doesn't communicate with the reps about what needs to be done. The focus switched from being about sales to you better be making those 75 calls a day or else. It doesn't matter if you hit quota of not they don't treat you any better. I was a top performing rep with one of the highest quotas in the center and my manager would come to me and expect me to make more to cover the slack from other team members. If I've already hit my $80,000 for the month you can't expect me to haul in that much more to cover for under performing co workers. If they're under performing let them go and replace them. Very VERY poor communication although you could tell the atmosphere in this office changed no one really knew why or what we could do and not do anymore since many rules changed. When I started working here I worked independently with very little supervision, if a question came up and I needed assistance I could go to colleagues or my manager or other managers in his absence. After the first year this was a big no no. One manager allowed one thing while others did not. There was no consensus for what could and could not be done. In my last few months I felt my job wasn't even needed truly because I couldn't even make a sale without approval from the manager, director, CEO, Pricing team, the legal department and so forth. It became ridiculous how many channels a sale had to go through just to be approved. I lost a $30,000 sale because it took 3 weeks for approvals on the sale. Not to mention I tried to starting on this early and was repeatedly ignored by my manger until the very last minute. Another big problem came from the introduction of the new products in the last 6 months of so. It wasn't about finding customers that needed these services it was about shoving them down their throats until they bought them or walked away. I lost 2 larger sales because the customer didn't want the Twitter Cards($150) so my manager wouldn't approve the deals which were $10,000 or more. Personally I think it's stupid to let deals like that walk away over $150 product. I was literally told as a direct quote from my supervisor that these products needed to be on every quote whether the customer wanted the products or not. To me this is a big issue. I'm responsible for the renewal next year and if I give you products you don't need, wants or use you will NOT renew next year. Those are simple facts.

Advice to Management

Communication, bring back a decent working environment, stop threatening to fire people you can't afford to lose and get rid of those that are bringing you down. Put set rules in place and if sales have to go through so many channels just get rid of your sales reps and have the managers handle everything because that is what it seems to be trending to anyways. Starting worrying about the customer instead of the number and maybe the stock prices will stop tanking. No one wants to be sold but everyone wants to buy SO STOP TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE INTO THINGS THEY DONT WANT. That's how Monster got into trouble in the first place.

Consumer Ad Ops

Former Employee - Advertising Operations in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Advertising Operations in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people on my team Nice office Enjoyed the reps and clients I worked with

Cons

Empty management across the board. I have no clue how the people in charge got to where they are because they have no clue how to manage people or what is even going on in their own department. We lost 4 strong team members in the course of two months, 3 of them within two weeks of each other. Yet management still fails to realize that they are the reason for this and only focus on what they think we did wrong. These weren't new employees, but people who were with the company for 3+ years. People are hired who contribute nothing to the team, but make friends with the crappy managers, so they really have no reason to actually work hard and make a difference because they won't ever be fired. The managers are immature and constantly gossip about their employees. Hard work isn't recognized. You could go above and beyond in your role, while someone else is doing below bare minimum and they will be recognized/treated the same. Increased workload, but no increased pay and no career path whatsoever. Instead of focusing on everything we are taking on and helping with, we are only called out if we make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the individuals who aren't making a positive contribution to the department, and replace them with people who can make a difference.

Glory Days have passed it by

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (home office) Above average pay/benefits Generous T&E Policies Good training programs

Cons

Highly Stressful work environment, all about the stock price not focus on customers and letting rest take care of itself. Boys at top would beat up layers below them and it would trickle down to all levels. Poor territory alignments Reps would frequently call into others accounts/ some managers all about own career advancement to care much "New Monster" products like Twitter cards irrelevant, need to greatly simplify product set

Advice to Management

Majority of people at Monster no longer like it esp those who have worked there for more than a few years. Yet they feel stuck and hang on for good pay/options or waiting for a buyout that may never come. Many of best reps have left for other companies even if pay is a little less or if they need to make millions to go start own business ventures.

7. National account executive

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to work from home, so lots of flexibility there.

Cons

Not really anyone to back you up when you wanted to take vacation, etc.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the number of managers and add more folks that are actually doing the work.

OK

Former Employee - IRC in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IRC in New York, NY

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice PTO, fun environment, hard work can pay off.

Cons

They care more about call stats than sales.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people on the front lines.

What are they thinking?

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

The fundamental work Monster does -- helping connect people who want a new job with employees looking for candidates -- is a worthy mission, and people at Monster are dedicated to that mission. There are some talented people who really care.

Cons

Leadership is a train wreck. Executive team is handpicked by the former CEO and they simply feather each other's nests. They have presided over the demise of a once iconic brand due to head in the sand syndrome. No brave or important decisions get made. Ironically, the culture is absolutely terrible -- a climate of fear, constant layoffs, little ability to share one's ideas or be heard.

Advice to Management

Clean house at the executive level.

10. Best Company I have Ever Worked For

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Excellent management that do not micromanage and let true sales professionals do what they do. The expectations are extremely reasonable, in regards to hitting bonus, and the pay for upper level account managers and sales managers are above average. They also cover any and all expenses regarding your personal vehicle, personal needs on the job, and travel.

Cons

The only "negative", which really isn't a negative, is they make you attend a very long training program with first year sales reps to Vice President of sales. I wish they would have divided the groups up based on experience so you wouldn't have to waste a lot of time during the class going over a lot of basic information. Again no big deal, but I had to put a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and rewarding your sales reps for the work they do.

Joke

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Work from home. Competitive salary

Cons

Horrible Management on all levels

Advice to Management

Figure out what Monster does

RSS Feed </> Embed