Monster Worldwide Reviews

Timothy T. Yates

1. Great learning experience with great people

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a relaxed atmosphere, with catered lunches, weekly happy hours, and friendly people. Supportive environment that encourages learning with good pay.

Cons

Direct management is lacking. Often didn't feel I was learning much after the first year. Raunchy language used on sales floor.

Create more individual accountability by managing the team more closely. Don't instill an attitude of haughtiness in new hires. Confidence is great, but not when it's unwarranted.

Once an innovator in the talent acquisition this company has lost touch with job seekers and employers globally

Current Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is excellent. It allows for an amazing work-life balance. It provides the opportunity to spend a great deal of time with your family, managing your home, and out of work responsibilities. The pay and commission are pretty awesome for the online recruiting space. Expectations are not that high. It's understood that LinkedIn has taken over as the top played in the space and we are a commodity that races to the bottom on price.

Cons

Lack of a differentiated product, poor regional management, and incompetent VP's and senior executives. They have no idea of where they are going or how to be successful.

It is so broken it would be difficult to reshape this dying organization. The new products that have been rolled out are simply not scalable or even remotely what the market is looking for.

3. Great Pay but Strange Structure and out of touch

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Key Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay (both salary and commission).
    Fun Culture - depending on your sales manager

Cons

Management thinks Monster is still #1. People arent using Monster like they used to and people are not as impressed with the name brand anymore. The name doesnt sell itself anymore. Its a dying industry. They are behind the 8-ball.

People over profits and you would be surprised how performance can take off.

5. Happy & Interesting

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Talented people who know how to get the job done.

Cons

Competitors make success more challenging.

Managers reviewed by staff.

Its all about money at San Francisco.

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Occasional perks (happy hours, sodas, weekly lunches), and great location (downtown San Fran). If you're naturally very talkative and social, you'll at least have a good time with some of the people here. If not, don't bother.

Cons

You ever seen those "get a free iPod!" sites, or those annoying "get a degree from ITT Tech!" forms that pop up on Monster.com whenever you try to do anything?

That's basically what the San Francisco office is.

It is very much a money counting place where they only care about leads and revenue calculation, plain and simple. Nobody cares about the users who use their sites (SF office deals with community sites not monster.com proper), its all a farm for lead generation forms. When i say money counting i mean that literally, up to the hour people are looking at the dollar amounts from people who fill out forms and making decisions based on that.

To be fair, this might not be so bad as long as you know what you're getting into. Some people do really well in this kind of environment. Others like to provide some value to the users in return for making money - if the latter applies to you, forget about this place.

You get no positive feedback at all when you do a good job, but get definite feedback on a bad job.

The people who have been around for years from when "affinity labs' was bought by Monster.com, they have a very clique-ish mentality.

Take a look at your departmental managers. They're not as good as you think you are.

7. Leading Web 2.0 Company Finds Its Own Niche

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

The people at Affinity are what makes this working environment light and exciting. People are allowed to have fun and are encouraged to work hard. Because we're still very young but have great potential, everyone is motivated to be the best, to top last month's numbers, to always be improving. Our company feels transparent and strong.

Cons

I'd have to say that its hard to keep up with the pace - we're growing fast. It feels competitive at times, which can be good or bad. Also, there is not much room for vertical growth - everyone plays their own role and that's it. Of course, these are all common downsides of a start-up-like company, which comes with many benefits.

While the company is intimate and hardworking, I feel uncertain about my performance because we don't receive enough feedback. I'm proud of the work I do, and I hope others are too.

8. Monster Worldwide - trying hard but still falling behind

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement, the organization is mostly a meritocracy, vacation time is above average if you can find the time to actually use it.

Cons

Monster is a big company and it struggles under it's own weight. In a market that's filled with younger, more mobile companies, innovation at Monster is stifled by corporate bureaucracy.

Monster is a web 1.0 company struggling in a web 2.0 world. Adapting current best practices and focusing on getting beyond the keyword/zipcode job search would be a step in the right direction. Focusing on user experience and interface would go a long way toward increasing the consumer value proposition.