Montage Laguna Beach

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.8

JAMES BERMINGHAM

This was an amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at Montage Laguna Beach part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training, you are set up for success. Free shift meals, amazing managment, beautiful spa with ocean view, employee parking with shuttle to hotel.
    They allow you to use a room for trades if available of course, you get great training on massage modalities, if you become full time you get trained in scrubs, wraps, ect...

Cons

The uniform needs update, that's all i can come up with

If hospitality isn't your life don't work here.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked in the heart of Beverly Hills so there were lots of perks and if you name dropped Montage you were taken care of.

Cons

There was no work life balance. They controlled you with their scheduling. Let their workers know the following weeks schedule the day before didn't allow you to make any plans. They also never had their employees back. The entitled elite were always right.

Watch out for your employees and have their backs. Everyone grew resentful because management never took their employees side in conflict.

Great things I learned there plus memorable experiences involving co workers

I worked at Montage Laguna Beach

Pros

Awesome teamwork feeling, entire hotel staff are treating each other very nice

Cons

Little understanding for employees needs

I love everyone here

I have been working at Montage Laguna Beach part-time

Pros

I don't know what I would do without everyone I've met at Montage, they really all help you become better individuals

Cons

It's really hard to ask for time off during the summer because it is our peak season. However, the management work very hard in order to honor all your requests

This was one of my favorite jobs!

Current Employee - Hostess At the Loft in Laguna Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess At the Loft in Laguna Beach, CA

I have been working at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Community environment. I met great friends and enjoyed everyone I worked with. Beautiful views from all areas of the resort how could you not enjoy your job?

Cons

There are no cons that I have

Low pay but great guests

Former Employee - Numerous Positions in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Numerous Positions in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The vast majority of guests are pleasant people who are seasoned travelers. They know what they want are polite most of the time. They are a pleasure to interact with and fun getting to know. If they challenge you or complain, it will usually be in a professional manner. The initial training is great and will help you throughout your career no matter what industry you settle in.

Cons

I would not recommend applying for a job that does not involve frequent gratuities. The hourly pay is low and not more than nearby hotels. They do not offer raises and advancement is unlikely. Even if you do advance, you will work more hours and have more stress. Hospitality is notoriously underpaid but if you can land one of the following jobs then you will make more money than your salaried manager: doorman, bellman, bartender, restaurant server, in-room dining server, spa therapist. These positions make a livable wage but are also hard to get since people seldom quit these positions. Otherwise you will struggle, especially if you are trying to live in South Orange County. They might tell you that other positions get tips like front desk, concierge, beach butlers, attendants, assistants, etc. - but the cash will be nothing compared to the other positions I mentioned. This often results in animosity between departments. There are people who endure great amounts of stress and work extremely hard yet make half the money as someone who works next to them that gets frequent tips and has less stress.

Management does not promote ongoing training after your first few days of initial training. There is a common misconception that Montage will groom you and provide you with countless growth opportunities. This is sometimes true if you are in middle management. But if not, then the truth is that you will be worked hard until you burn out. The turnover rate is high and most of the managers are not promoted from within but hired from other resorts. There are a lot of burnouts here, especially at the front of the house. These people are toxic and unfortunately Montage never fires people. You have to basically commit a crime to get terminated. I suppose this is good for job security purposes but there are countless line employees with seniority who perpetuate negativity within the culture on a daily basis. Management doesn't seem to care. Probably because they are incentivized to keep turnover low.

In my opinion, the best way to approach employment at Montage is to do it for a short period of time to gain experience and maybe for some quick cash over Summer. It is not a career and long term employment will most likely hold you back from greater achievements. Be willing to move on in 1 to 2 years.

Give raises. Provide financial incentives to people who don't get tips. Reprimand people who are vocally negative and critical of others. Provide hotel management and operations classes to people who want to make a career of it.

"THE TRANSITIONTEAM", is great.We had months without a GM. Some Managers actually imulate Montage core values.

Current Employee - Guest Services
    Current Employee - Guest Services

I have been working at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like that the company has direction and plans to embrace us in structure and trainning. I love almost all the poeple I work with, because most of us really enjoy working and inneracting with guests. I love, love, love the Guests and the property its self! I love being apart of such an amazing place.

Cons

Its difficult to focus and be detailed while working 6to 7 days a week. This property has maintained low labor for too long.... The amount of Occupancy and events has exsploded,but the amount of employees has stayed the same or less in guest relations departments.How could you keep your 4diamond standards? Hourly employees should not have to have less than 2 or 3 days off a month. None of my department really gets tranning. You can only hope that the senior employees actually want to help train you. Keep your mouth shut, because open door policy in my department is null and void. You shouldn't have to deal with employees trying to get you fired, because your manager tells them what you say about them behind closed doors. We have people that are not speaking up, because they haven't got their 90 review. We have poeple already to leave and they have only been there a month. The favotism increases the stress when the poeple who are favored are demoralizing, with passive aggressive body language and comments. The communication from management is horrible... We dont get tlod a lot of things... For exsample, a boat tour is cancelled, but I wasnt told, so I tell the guest to show up?! I cant say that Management can focus too much on detals when they have had to do 100 different jobs. However, you should be able to talk to your Manager.

Tell us what is going on.. We are not just employees. We are people. We want to give the BESTservice. We need the tools to do that. We need, time off to be fresh minded. Knowledge, to do our jobs. We also need to be told what we need to currect after a mistake, rather than 3 weeks later. I see employees act one way around Managers and another around employees and even guests. Please dont be fooled by who you think is on your team as a Manager. It is lonely at the top for a reason. Be fair accross the bord and you will see things improve greatly. I promise! If you are coserned about performance of an employee.. Reseach ALL your employees as a comparison.Never put all your eggs in one basket, because that basket could fall and you will not know what you really have.I love the Ideals of Montage, but Im ready to really start living them at work. I feel like I am ready to see us as Montage, but that has not happened yet. Im totally putting my faith in Montage to lead us as we desperately need them to. Thank you so much for giving so many opurtunities to people and for giving us a New Manager! I hope this is the start of our transformation.

Where you'll find simple elegance!

Current Employee - Assistant in Laguna Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Laguna Beach, CA

I have been working at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Passion for learning and mentoring associates. Management is encouraging and driven to see you succeed. Location and views of he ocean! Great time off program.

Cons

Work holidays and weekends. No pay raises.

The montage is an amazing place to work

Former Employee - Guest Reception Night Auditor in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Reception Night Auditor in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at Montage Laguna Beach full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learning about the hospitality industry and being taught by the best of the best

Cons

The parking and amount of spaces is definitly way tooblow.l

Dont change anything. The business model of the company is impeccable

Fantastic career and life learning experience!

Current Employee - Naaah in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Naaah in New York, NY

I have been working at Montage Laguna Beach full-time

Pros

People, location, working conditions, management, training, many more I am leaving out, I'm sure. It is a really, really nice place to work, without a doubt!

Cons

Typical non-union situation. Management is conditioned to put the company first. Front line associates although treated with respect and appreciation, are left without an advocate. They are minor issues, but left without resolution will only perpetuate lower-than-possible morale.

Live up to your values; "Do the right thing". The reason unions exist is because the employee craves the security they feel that someone is protecting their interest. Employees are not looking to bite the hand that feeds them. They only seek fair and equitable consideration. What are you waiting for; another company to show you how it's done?