Montage Laguna Beach

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

JAMES BERMINGHAM

Where you'll find simple elegance!

Assistant (Current Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsPassion for learning and mentoring associates. Management is encouraging and driven to see you succeed. Location and views of he ocean! Great time off program.

ConsWork holidays and weekends. No pay raises.

Low pay but great guests

Numerous Positions (Former Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsThe vast majority of guests are pleasant people who are seasoned travelers. They know what they want are polite most of the time. They are a pleasure to interact with and fun getting to know. If they challenge you or complain, it will usually be in a professional manner. The initial training is great and will help you throughout your career no matter what industry you settle in.

ConsI would not recommend applying for a job that does not involve frequent gratuities. The hourly pay is low and not more than nearby hotels. They do not offer raises and advancement is unlikely. Even if you do advance, you will work more hours and have more stress. Hospitality is notoriously underpaid but if you can land one of the following jobs then you will make more money than your salaried manager: doorman, bellman, bartender, restaurant server, in-room dining server, spa therapist. These positions make a livable wage but are also hard to get since people seldom quit these positions. Otherwise you will struggle, especially if you are trying to live in South Orange County. They might tell you that other positions get tips like front desk, concierge, beach butlers, attendants, assistants, etc. - but the cash will be nothing compared to the other positions I mentioned. This often results in animosity between departments. There are people who endure great amounts of stress and work extremely hard yet make half the money as someone who works next to them that gets frequent tips and has less stress.

Management does not promote ongoing training after your first few days of initial training. There is a common misconception that Montage will groom you and provide you with countless growth opportunities. This is sometimes true if you are in middle management. But if not, then the truth is that you will be worked hard until you burn out. The turnover rate is high and most of the managers are not promoted from within but hired from other resorts. There are a lot of burnouts here, especially at the front of the house. These people are toxic and unfortunately Montage never fires people. You have to basically commit a crime to get terminated. I suppose this is good for job security purposes but there are countless line employees with seniority who perpetuate negativity within the culture on a daily basis. Management doesn't seem to care. Probably because they are incentivized to keep turnover low.

In my opinion, the best way to approach employment at Montage is to do it for a short period of time to gain experience and maybe for some quick cash over Summer. It is not a career and long term employment will most likely hold you back from greater achievements. Be willing to move on in 1 to 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises. Provide financial incentives to people who don't get tips. Reprimand people who are vocally negative and critical of others. Provide hotel management and operations classes to people who want to make a career of it.

"THE TRANSITIONTEAM", is great.We had months without a GM. Some Managers actually imulate Montage core values.

Guest Services (Current Employee)

ProsI like that the company has direction and plans to embrace us in structure and trainning. I love almost all the poeple I work with, because most of us really enjoy working and inneracting with guests. I love, love, love the Guests and the property its self! I love being apart of such an amazing place.

ConsIts difficult to focus and be detailed while working 6to 7 days a week. This property has maintained low labor for too long.... The amount of Occupancy and events has exsploded,but the amount of employees has stayed the same or less in guest relations departments.How could you keep your 4diamond standards? Hourly employees should not have to have less than 2 or 3 days off a month. None of my department really gets tranning. You can only hope that the senior employees actually want to help train you. Keep your mouth shut, because open door policy in my department is null and void. You shouldn't have to deal with employees trying to get you fired, because your manager tells them what you say about them behind closed doors. We have people that are not speaking up, because they haven't got their 90 review. We have poeple already to leave and they have only been there a month. The favotism increases the stress when the poeple who are favored are demoralizing, with passive aggressive body language and comments. The communication from management is horrible... We dont get tlod a lot of things... For exsample, a boat tour is cancelled, but I wasnt told, so I tell the guest to show up?! I cant say that Management can focus too much on detals when they have had to do 100 different jobs. However, you should be able to talk to your Manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell us what is going on.. We are not just employees. We are people. We want to give the BESTservice. We need the tools to do that. We need, time off to be fresh minded. Knowledge, to do our jobs. We also need to be told what we need to currect after a mistake, rather than 3 weeks later. I see employees act one way around Managers and another around employees and even guests. Please dont be fooled by who you think is on your team as a Manager. It is lonely at the top for a reason. Be fair accross the bord and you will see things improve greatly. I promise! If you are coserned about performance of an employee.. Reseach ALL your employees as a comparison.Never put all your eggs in one basket, because that basket could fall and you will not know what you really have.I love the Ideals of Montage, but Im ready to really start living them at work. I feel like I am ready to see us as Montage, but that has not happened yet. Im totally putting my faith in Montage to lead us as we desperately need them to. Thank you so much for giving so many opurtunities to people and for giving us a New Manager! I hope this is the start of our transformation.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The montage is an amazing place to work

Guest Reception Night Auditor (Former Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsLearning about the hospitality industry and being taught by the best of the best

ConsThe parking and amount of spaces is definitly way tooblow.l

Advice to Senior ManagementDont change anything. The business model of the company is impeccable

Fantastic career and life learning experience!

Naaah (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPeople, location, working conditions, management, training, many more I am leaving out, I'm sure. It is a really, really nice place to work, without a doubt!

ConsTypical non-union situation. Management is conditioned to put the company first. Front line associates although treated with respect and appreciation, are left without an advocate. They are minor issues, but left without resolution will only perpetuate lower-than-possible morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your values; "Do the right thing". The reason unions exist is because the employee craves the security they feel that someone is protecting their interest. Employees are not looking to bite the hand that feeds them. They only seek fair and equitable consideration. What are you waiting for; another company to show you how it's done?

Don't do it if you have self respect - unless you desperately need money

Guest Services (Current Employee)

ProsNice training program
    SOME managers will go above and beyond for you and will work with you

ConsGuests will demand the moon and even if its something inappropriate or not achievable, theres something going on with the management that believes we should/could.

Terrible middle management - never seen the lack of care for their own associates at this level. Sure you can befriend one manager who will help you but unless you do that or push to HR - they really don't seem to help you. Emails just shovel on from one person to the next passing off work. Don't call out sick or they'll guilt you like crazy or call you unprofessional - even if you have a doctors note.
    Some situations in which managers have to be called in for, they made the situation worse, making A- you seem like you don't know what your doing because they completely override what you said or did, and B- they themselves look like they are not aware of the situation or know what they're doing. And yet as I mentioned theres some weird expectation of you to move mountains for them, when you're not given the properly tools or authority to accomplish these tasks.

Some of these managers also have really sketchy behavioral issue.

Worst part of all which is why I give it a one star - Attitude and Morale. Morale is so low, I've never in my professional life seen a group of people so miserable before. Even the managers complain to you about their colleagues or YOURS! I had the pleasure of over hearing two of my managers talk bad about me. That's a booster- Makes me want to work harder.

All in all - it will seem nice at first but the stink will settle will and you will very quickly see what's going on here. Just avoid it unless you need a job to pay bills as I needed to. They say their culture is very important but the bad apples have ruined it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management is a mess. There is never enough coverage at the FD. Hire more people who WANT to be there and get rid of toxic employees. You keep them because you have no choice but what you don't see is that they are the reason why you have such a high turn!

Gain a lot of experience in hospitality, but you'll work hard for it.

Concierge (Former Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsBeautiful location, most of the staff is friendly, you'll have great stories to tell friends and families for years to come, really good experience working in a luxury hotel environment (front of the house positions), has helped me on my resume.

ConsGuests are never perfect, some can be downright ridiculous, some managers are horrendous, rules are very strict (dress code, etc.), very long work days and weeks in the summer, not the best pay in the area.

Not always Pleasant...The spa is one of the worst department I found to work for...

SPA Supervisor/Stewarding Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsParking, Meals and sometimes insurance...I was there for three years in Management....Working in the Stewarding department was one of the best ......

ConsH.R. is the worst....High Management I mean upstairs treat you like kids...the test they do every single year...I mean no one cares about the palm trees being called Desi and Lucy...no one ask those questions....No raises and if so there like five cents or ten cents a year if any.....Warnings over the smallest thing...not willing to listen to the staff....

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is there to say it's not like they take it to heart....as long as people apply and guest come they don't really care....

Good for some short-term cash.

Valet Attendant (Former Employee)
    Laguna Beach, CA

ProsI worked as a valet for one summer. On average, I was making around $20 an hour, including tips. It was a good cash job, but obviously, there is very little ability for career progression. The best reasons to work there: You need cash for a summer, and you want a LOT of shifts. If you are working as a valet, you will get quite a workout, as well.

It's an incredible resort with a great atmosphere.

ConsManagement can be a little air-headed. The garage is TINY for the amount of volume they receive on very busy days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback to employees and be more hands-on.

working at the montage...

Cook (Former Employee)

ProsProbably the best benefit was 5 weeks of paid vacation, full medical, dental, vision, free meals, free parking, 401 k.

ConsThe downfall was no raises were given after over 1 year of employment, regardless of job performance, but then again, it was more than likely due to the failing economy. Also, layoffs were surprises to the victims. They would be laid off the same day as they were notified about it with no pre-warning.

Advice to Senior Managementmore effective communication between management and staff.

Worked for Montage Laguna Beach? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Montage Laguna Beach reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Montage Laguna Beach CEO JAMES BERMINGHAM. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Montage Laguna Beach employees.