Montana State University Reviews

Reset
3.7
Montana State University President Waded Cruzado
Waded Cruzado

Pros
  • If you love learning, there are lots of opportunities for a staff person to take classes and attend educational events (in 4 reviews)

• Great place for outdoor addicts (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay/high cost of living (comparable to living on the coast at a (in 5 reviews)

• It was nearly impossible to get fired (not that I tried), but it was likewise nearly impossible to get more than a cost of living pay increase either (in 3 reviews)

1. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, atmosphere, convenient, employees are great

Cons

Salary was not very good. Little room for advancement.

2. A nice campus, poor salaries.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University (More than a year)

Pros

A very pretty and helpful community of folks on campus. I have enoyed the students and the faculty very much during my work there,

Cons

The salary is terrible and the amount of upward movement is very limited. A lot of people leave as soon as they find something better

Advice to Management

Raise the salaries. Treat adjuncts like actual valued employees and not as replaceable cannon fodder. It's disheartening and upsetting.

3. Administrative Associate II

Current Employee - Administrative Associate II in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate II in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, great coworkers, great work environment, all staff is friendly and helpful

Cons

Office space is limited, terrible base pay with limited growth potential

Advice to Management

biweekly pay instead of monthly pay

5. Employee at the MSU Bookstore

Former Employee - Workstudy in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Workstudy in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work hours - Not required to work holidays - Can do homework during slow times - Pay is competitive - Most coworkers are great - Only have to work two to three weekends a semester - Perfect location - Pretty good discounts

Cons

- Management can reign a little heavy for no real reason - Communication needs work in almost every department

Advice to Management

- Work on teamwork at the higher levels - Be leaders people want to follow, and that is directed to all leaders no just management

6. The Lasers and LIDAR research group was an amazing experience with superb people working on new technologies in optics.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So many toys to play with and so many new things to learn. The most fun I have ever had in a work environment. Incredibly challenging!

Cons

Late nights coding on research trips to try and fix bugs in software before the next set of field demonstrations the next day.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the strengths/weaknesses of your research team and assign tasks accordingly.

7. I live the hard life of a graduate research assistant but I'm getting paid to improve myself. I cannot complain.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied assignment that often improve skills introduced in the classroom. The compensation is almost lavish for the young single male.

Cons

Sometimes overwhelming. Grading can be the bane of one's existence. There isn't much choice in regards to what tasks must be completed. Faculty sometimes assign crushing amounts of grading.

Advice to Management

I don't know anything that I might recommend because I don't know how to manage cohorts of graduate students.

8. process and paperwork

Former Employee - Montana in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Montana in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great healthcare, located in beautiful Bozeman

Cons

most employees are afraid of upper management

Advice to Management

be creative

Oppressive work environment where micromanaging abounds and subversive management style is the norm.

Current Employee - Administrator in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Administrator in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Benefits; - Able to take classes and receive 16 credits per semester waived after working there for 5 years, if your supervisor allows it; - Great library and resources and the library staff are superb; and, - Within walking distance to the Museum of the Rockies, should you want to visit at lunchtime.

Cons

- Very cold and austere community. - Training consists of sophomoric professional development seminars like, "How to Work with Difficult People." Obviously those do not help, since so many employees at MSU are difficult to work with. - Office culture is that if you weren't born in Montana, you'll have a hard time making new friends. - Campus culture is so polarized that rarely do faculty fraternize with staff and rarely, unless one is in the "clique," do staff engage with other staff. Not welcoming to new incoming employees. - Career advancement opportunities are non-existent unless you "know" someone and are able to secure a higher-level, better paying position before it is made public. One is unable to advance within the department they work. One must continually jockey around campus finding new jobs to receive higher pay and advancement. - Company values? Oxymoron. Most employees keep their heads down and say nothing for fear of being reprimanded for expounding on something creative and different or out of the realm of anything the faculty propose, most of which have never worked in private sector. - Successful managers embrace creative environments; MSU views that as a threat. As a result, one is constantly striving for excellence in mediocrity. - Poor manners and lack of etiquette, despite the fact that faculty and upper admin believe they are to-the-manor-born.

Advice to Management

Treat your non-faculty employees with respect, and when I pass you on the walkway or in the corridor, don't put your head down. Acknowledge the salutation and reciprocate.

10. 15 Year Employee

Current Employee - Information Systems in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for MSU-Bozeman is working with intelligent people helping others to learn and get ahead with life. The students provide a varied and interesting environment to work within.

Cons

It's difficult to get promoted as there are no direct promotion paths for staff. The only way seems to be through changing jobs. Raises only happen when the legislature passes them and then they are given across the board, not by merit.

Advice to Management

Make meaningful contributions to the quality of life of the Staff. Fight for higher base salaries. Many staff (and faculty) leave because they can get better pay somewhere else, leading to a brain drain and extra expense hiring new employees and faculty. Better to spend that money on salary and keep the experience staff and faculty.

11. Outstanding place to live and work

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location and high standard of living. Great place for outdoor addicts

Cons

Lower than average pay on a national level

RSS Feed </> Embed