Montana State University Reviews

• Bozeman, MT
3.5
Montana State University President Waded Cruzado
Waded Cruzado

1. The Lasers and LIDAR research group was an amazing experience with superb people working on new technologies in optics.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So many toys to play with and so many new things to learn. The most fun I have ever had in a work environment. Incredibly challenging!

Cons

Late nights coding on research trips to try and fix bugs in software before the next set of field demonstrations the next day.

Pay more attention to the strengths/weaknesses of your research team and assign tasks accordingly.

2. I live the hard life of a graduate research assistant but I'm getting paid to improve myself. I cannot complain.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Varied assignment that often improve skills introduced in the classroom. The compensation is almost lavish for the young single male.

Cons

Sometimes overwhelming. Grading can be the bane of one's existence. There isn't much choice in regards to what tasks must be completed. Faculty sometimes assign crushing amounts of grading.

I don't know anything that I might recommend because I don't know how to manage cohorts of graduate students.

3. process and paperwork

Former Employee - Montana in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Montana in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great healthcare, located in beautiful Bozeman

Cons

most employees are afraid of upper management

be creative

Oppressive work environment where micromanaging abounds and subversive management style is the norm.

Current Employee - Administrator in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Administrator in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Benefits;
    - Able to take classes and receive 16 credits per semester waived after working there for 5 years, if your supervisor allows it;
    - Great library and resources and the library staff are superb; and,
    - Within walking distance to the Museum of the Rockies, should you want to visit at lunchtime.

Cons

- Very cold and austere community.
    - Training consists of sophomoric professional development seminars like, "How to Work with Difficult People." Obviously those do not help, since so many employees at MSU are difficult to work with.
    - Office culture is that if you weren't born in Montana, you'll have a hard time making new friends.
    - Campus culture is so polarized that rarely do faculty fraternize with staff and rarely, unless one is in the "clique," do staff engage with other staff. Not welcoming to new incoming employees.
    - Career advancement opportunities are non-existent unless you "know" someone and are able to secure a higher-level, better paying position before it is made public. One is unable to advance within the department they work. One must continually jockey around campus finding new jobs to receive higher pay and advancement.
    - Company values? Oxymoron. Most employees keep their heads down and say nothing for fear of being reprimanded for expounding on something creative and different or out of the realm of anything the faculty propose, most of which have never worked in private sector.
    - Successful managers embrace creative environments; MSU views that as a threat. As a result, one is constantly striving for excellence in mediocrity.
    - Poor manners and lack of etiquette, despite the fact that faculty and upper admin believe they are to-the-manor-born.

Treat your non-faculty employees with respect, and when I pass you on the walkway or in the corridor, don't put your head down. Acknowledge the salutation and reciprocate.

6. 15 Year Employee

Current Employee - Information Systems in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for MSU-Bozeman is working with intelligent people helping others to learn and get ahead with life. The students provide a varied and interesting environment to work within.

Cons

It's difficult to get promoted as there are no direct promotion paths for staff. The only way seems to be through changing jobs. Raises only happen when the legislature passes them and then they are given across the board, not by merit.

Make meaningful contributions to the quality of life of the Staff. Fight for higher base salaries. Many staff (and faculty) leave because they can get better pay somewhere else, leading to a brain drain and extra expense hiring new employees and faculty. Better to spend that money on salary and keep the experience staff and faculty.

7. Outstanding place to live and work

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location and high standard of living. Great place for outdoor addicts

Cons

Lower than average pay on a national level

8. Good people, great experience with work-study!

Former Employee - Audio-Video Technician in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Audio-Video Technician in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

While working as an audio/video technician I enjoyed being able to contribute to the university and gaining some experience. My manager was nice and helpful if I needed any questions answered!

Cons

None I can think of!

9. close to yellow stone

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, low work intensity. they have a pretty good health insurance plan, everyone is happy about it. close to yellow stone.

Cons

small town, the food is very simple here, very limited variety in the city, people are too relaxed when they are working , the ordering system is wired.

10. It's a public university

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really smart people, and by and large I was left to my own devices. I was given problems that needed solving, and after a while I was selecting the problems that needed solving. Very satisfying work.

Cons

It's a public university, and one of the largest in Montana. So it has all the bad parts about working for the government and working for a large company all rolled into one. It was nearly impossible to get fired (not that I tried), but it was likewise nearly impossible to get more than a cost of living pay increase either. The salary was well below market for a person with my skills, and they have a hard time retaining skilled people, especially in tech fields.

End the classified system, even if only for programmers, sysadmins, and the like.

11. Enjoyed campus activities. Good health plan, but staff salaries are low and advancement opportunities limited

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you love learning, there are lots of opportunities for a staff person to take classes and attend educational events.

Cons

Low pay. No bridge between classified positions and professional jobs.