Montana State University

Add Photos

Montana State University President Waded Cruzado

Waded Cruzado

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good people, great experience with work-study!

Audio-Video Technician (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsWhile working as an audio/video technician I enjoyed being able to contribute to the university and gaining some experience. My manager was nice and helpful if I needed any questions answered!

ConsNone I can think of!

close to yellow stone

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Bozeman, MT

Prosgood benefit, low work intensity. they have a pretty good health insurance plan, everyone is happy about it. close to yellow stone.

Conssmall town, the food is very simple here, very limited variety in the city, people are too relaxed when they are working , the ordering system is wired.

It's a public university

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsI worked with some really smart people, and by and large I was left to my own devices. I was given problems that needed solving, and after a while I was selecting the problems that needed solving. Very satisfying work.

ConsIt's a public university, and one of the largest in Montana. So it has all the bad parts about working for the government and working for a large company all rolled into one. It was nearly impossible to get fired (not that I tried), but it was likewise nearly impossible to get more than a cost of living pay increase either. The salary was well below market for a person with my skills, and they have a hard time retaining skilled people, especially in tech fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnd the classified system, even if only for programmers, sysadmins, and the like.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed campus activities. Good health plan, but staff salaries are low and advancement opportunities limited

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsIf you love learning, there are lots of opportunities for a staff person to take classes and attend educational events.

ConsLow pay. No bridge between classified positions and professional jobs.

really liked it

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

Prossupportive professors, good pay, strong research community

Consnorthern region, harsh whether !

It was a good experience

Ph D Candidate (Current Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsIt is located in beautiful town Bozeman. Lot of out door activities to do. Great place to live and work.

ConsLeadership is good, and they treat their employees very well. More over the place makes you to stay there for ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Go pure gold!!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

University with growing pains, learning to cope.

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsCampus atmosphere. Great staff and communication.

ConsThe Faculty v. administration drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Stable but no room for innovation.

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsStable, state funded, interesting problems, big organization with lots of opportunities.

ConsBureaucratic nightmare, actively discouraged innovation, understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people what they are worth and get rid of the low performers.

Campus dining halls - good Freshman-Sophomore year college job

Dining Hall Employee (Current Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsSlightly above minimum wage pay, simple to get hired and keep position. Great college job, especially if you live in the dorms. The managers are great about working around classes/tests, though it is your responsibility to find people to cover your shifts. It was fine when I needed to take a test and no one could cover though. Free meals when you work.

ConsBe ready to get a bit dirty and smell like burgers when you come home, particularly for dishroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest emphasizing getting the job done well over being constantly busy.

Graduate Student Studying Extremophiles

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsHigh concentration of extremophile scientists all at one university. The compensation is pretty good considering Montana has a much lower cost of living than a coastal area. Lots of opportunities for cross disciplinary collaboration given MSU historical geographic isolation. A surprising number of the top scientists choose to live in Bozeman, making MSU an incognito research powerhouse.

ConsDisjointed departments that do similar work don't always connect well

Worked for Montana State University? Contribute to the Community!