Montana State University

Waded Cruzado

15 Year Employee

Current Employee - Information Systems  in  Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Information Systems in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best thing about working for MSU-Bozeman is working with intelligent people helping others to learn and get ahead with life. The students provide a varied and interesting environment to work within.

Cons

It's difficult to get promoted as there are no direct promotion paths for staff. The only way seems to be through changing jobs. Raises only happen when the legislature passes them and then they are given across the board, not by merit.

Make meaningful contributions to the quality of life of the Staff. Fight for higher base salaries. Many staff (and faculty) leave because they can get better pay somewhere else, leading to a brain drain and extra expense hiring new employees and faculty. Better to spend that money on salary and keep the experience staff and faculty.

Outstanding place to live and work

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location and high standard of living. Great place for outdoor addicts

Cons

Lower than average pay on a national level

MSUB considerable more enjoyable then City College

Former Employee - Everyone Does Everything  in  Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Everyone Does Everything in Billings, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits available at day 1 and much shorter wait for vacation and sick leave then in the privet sector.

Cons

ALL UPPER MANAGEMENT. For those of you who are looking to do "advising," "recruitment," "enrollment," or "student life," at City College. Stop considering the job, there is a reason they can't keep a full staff, that is why their turn over is unreal. Everyone does a little of everyone else's jobs, and the micromanaging is unlivable. One position had 3 different people in 1 year! One position had a new person EVERY YEAR. Unrealistic expectations and even if you pass the schools goals for anything you may not get to keep your job. The so called "upper management" is not worth any of your trouble!

New upper management, significant training in sensitivity and stick removal for that management if keeping them is important for some reason. Relaxing a smidge....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, great experience with work-study!

Former Employee - Audio-Video Technician  in  Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Audio-Video Technician in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University part-time for less than a year

Pros

While working as an audio/video technician I enjoyed being able to contribute to the university and gaining some experience. My manager was nice and helpful if I needed any questions answered!

Cons

None I can think of!

good environment for research

I have been working at Montana State University

Pros

good life/ work balance, great outdoor activities, nice academic culture

Cons

low salary, few opportunity for promotion

close to yellow stone

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Montana State University full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefit, low work intensity. they have a pretty good health insurance plan, everyone is happy about it. close to yellow stone.

Cons

small town, the food is very simple here, very limited variety in the city, people are too relaxed when they are working , the ordering system is wired.

Cost of living deceptive and salary is woefully low

I have been working at Montana State University

Pros

The weather is great--you have to like cold and winter (duh--you're moving to MT...) but the SUN IS OUT and it's DRY!!!

Cons

Very low pay/high cost of living (comparable to living on the coast at a $35k pay cut--c'mon, folks...); most staff are fearful of the administration and keeping their jobs so they say nothing. The hatchet comes out too often and very arbitrarily, yet some are paid $$$ and do very little of any benefit except to occupy a chair. Limited to no career opportunities unless you're native MT or have connections.

Lift your head up and check out what's around you; you will not always have the luxury of saying "Don't like it here? There's 10 others lined up who want to live in Bozeman, despite their crappy qualifications. And because of this, quite frankly, we don't care."

It's a public university

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Montana State University full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with some really smart people, and by and large I was left to my own devices. I was given problems that needed solving, and after a while I was selecting the problems that needed solving. Very satisfying work.

Cons

It's a public university, and one of the largest in Montana. So it has all the bad parts about working for the government and working for a large company all rolled into one. It was nearly impossible to get fired (not that I tried), but it was likewise nearly impossible to get more than a cost of living pay increase either. The salary was well below market for a person with my skills, and they have a hard time retaining skilled people, especially in tech fields.

End the classified system, even if only for programmers, sysadmins, and the like.

Alma Mater

I worked at Montana State University

Pros

Small class size, engaging professors, outdoor opportunities

Cons

administration is inflexible, high fees/tuition for out of state students, poor financial aid help

grassroots leadership is stronger than top-down management, embrace your everyday leaders

Hope you can survive on the incredible location.

I worked at Montana State University

Pros

Bozeman is a fantastic place to work. Competitive salaries for the area. Job security as fitting with a government institution. Fairly good benefits. Most social activities in town revolve around the university. The Brick Breeden Fieldhouse is a venue that books a good number of shows, considering the location.

Cons

I hope you can survive on the awesome views. And like winter, cause it snows nine month regularly. You will not relocate here to make more money. Montanans pride themselves on paying public sector employees less than almost any other state. Bozeman is NOT a cheap place to live. Obviously not coastal expensive, but your money will go much further in Oklahoma City or Indianapolis than it will in Bozeman.

Worked for Montana State University? Contribute to the Community!