Montash Reviews

3.2
Andrew Larholt

1. Rapid Development

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time in the business has been enjoyable and progressive. With 18 months under my belt, I have been promoted 3 times and am currently mentoring a junior. It’s been a tough journey with lots of stress around managing the emotional roller-coaster the role creates but for me, my progression and remuneration have outweighed all the challenges I’ve faced so far. Remuneration has been better than I expected - working on a really hot desk I have made a healthy commission pot Best memories are from Lunch clubs, the anniversary party and regular Friday drinks.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to manage in my first year

Energetic and fun environment to work in

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Monash for 2 years and I can honestly say that it is a Energetic and fun environment to work in. From the day I have started there has been constant support and on going development to get me to where I am now, which is a senior consultant. Montash has always showed a structured approach to progression with realistic goals which help in moving up that ladder. We have a great office environment with all the top of the range equipment and a solid database to build from on a daily basis. The incentives are really cool as I have been to some top restaurants for lunch clubs which usually you would have to wait months for a reservation. We have a great social and working life balance and from that have made genuine friendships

Cons

Building towards more of an International presence

Advice to Management

Thanks for everything

Thoroughly Enjoyable

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Montash and unfortunately had to leave due to relocation abroad with family. However my time at Montash was thoroughly enjoyable and it had been quite a experience working in central London. The offices are in a prime location in Shoreditch with a good mix between business and social surroundings. The people from management to the peers were very accommodating throughout my time there. My targets were always realistic and so that pushed me to better myself all the time. I would recommend anyone looking to get into recruitment to join Montash to be apart of something special.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work late but I understand this is part of recruitment and you do get financially rewarded.

Advice to Management

It would be great to see you again when i'm in London next

A Really Positive and Enjoyable Working Environment

Current Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Montash for a little over a year now. I can honestly say, hand on my heart, it’s the best company, not even recruitment company, but COMPANY that I have worked for. So what brings me to say that with confidence? There’s nothing worse than going into work hating either your job role or the place in which you work. The working environment at Montash is far more positive than the previous companies I have worked for. There is a mutual level of respect between employees across the organisation. My team colleagues are great as are senior management. We have some great incentives too which always helps! I have had a past personal issue which I didn’t want to interfere with my work, but I was able to go to HR, who were really supportive. Employee care is definitely great!

Cons

My team sometimes expect me to make a cup of tea for them! Cheeky!

Advice to Management

Thanks for making this a really great and inspiring place to work!

Confidently one of the best agencies in the market.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked for Montash for a number of years I am shocked at all the misleading remarks below. I have never been asked to write a review nor have any of my colleagues. Montash is the 3rd Agency I have worked for over the past 10 years and having many friends in recruitment I confidently say its one of the best in the market. Sadly not everyone will have the same experience, despite being in the same office, having the same opportunity and working under the same conditions but my experience at Montash has been one filled with fun memories, a supportive management team and lots of success as a result of my own hard work. To be a successful recruiter you have to be most importantly hard working and willing to put the hours in. Have the ability to be strong minded, show intuitive, have a mature attitude and take ownership of your actions. Montash were selected out of thousands of recruitment firms in the UK and ranked 3rd in the Hot 100 Recruiter Awards 2014, to me this is a sure sign among many more that I work for a reputable and supportive business which has given me a platform to achieve my success. My personal favourites are: Incentives, I especially enjoy the fully paid for holidays every 6 months Ibiza & Barcelona being my favourite experiences. Rolex Club The Ping Pong Table Free Friday breakfast - I just love to eat!! Although a smaller incentive it always draws a smile in the morning!

Cons

My commute is over 1 hour 30 minutes, so a shorter commute would help with the hours in recruitment.

Advice to Management

thanks for your support and patience over the years.

7. Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash

Pros

My experience working for Monash has been positive, working here for almost a year I have been supported and have been promoted twice. Last year I met targets to go on Lunch clubs which have been brilliant, i have been on a Montash Holiday and joined the team on some fun and very boozy nights out! Joining Monash as a graduate and having worked previously for a corporate business in a sandwich year and then a part time role in sales while at university Montash has given me everything they promised at interview stage.

Cons

Getting my head around all the technical terminology - it took me roughly 4 months to be comfortable Hours Pressure

Advice to Management

Great job, thanks for being patient.

8. Avoid like the plague

I worked at Montash

Pros

Fairly decent offices & location Table tennis table Monthly lunchclubs/ annual holiday incentives

Cons

Long hours (8am-7pm mon-thurs, 8am-5.30pm on fri) Installing poor ethics on their staff (i.e. regularly posting fake adverts and lying to clients and candidates) You get worked like a slave with little or no reward. Starting on 20-21k as a Researcher working 55+ hours per week, on a per hour basis you’d get more money working as a cleaner than for Year 1 at Montash (even if you are successful!) Huge churn and burn of employees – over 50% of the workforce have left in the last 9 months. Every single person that has left and stayed in the recruitment has moved on to better things. That tells you everything you need to know. Quality of staff depleted as company tried to grow - for every experienced consultant that departs, they are replaced with either an Apprentice or a Graduate to keep costs down. Quite simply, Montash are unable to attract nor retain talent. Sadly, Montash’ s practices are well known in the industry and their perception is not great that they have no choice but to hire at a lower level. No-one with any experience in the industry would touch them with a bargepole. Small fish in the market, no major house accounts. Even if you single-handedly bring on new business with a major client, chances are it will eventually get taken away from you. Huge gulf between staff and senior management. Montash isn’t a place where people stay and progress in the long-term. Some of management are too backward in their methods and have a lot of growing up to do to be effective team leaders. It doesn't help when they are given such responsibilities at such a young age. Having to sit beside one of them on a daily basis was like sitting beside a highly aggressive child with autistic tendencies. Consistently shouting sexist, racist and crude obscenities about clients and customers in the office should not be tolerated, not least when it is by an experienced manager. At Montash this behaviour was largely overlooked by the CEO, incredibly ironic considering ‘Quality’ being one of their main Core Values. Salary and commission structure – one of the absolute worst in the market. When you know of top billing consultants consistently bringing £300k+ to the business each year yet are still being paid a 25k basic it makes you realise how much ‘loyalty’ is rewarded at Montash.

Advice to Management

Take on board the overwhelmingly negative feedback from staff and start to provide an environment where people want to stay. Promote managers who gain trust and respect, not just those with the biggest egos. Next time you write another ‘positive’ review at least make it believable that one of your employees wrote it….maybe try using a different style or something?

9. Montash: where expectations exceed reality

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have genuinely met a awesome bunch of people whilst working here (albeit majority have now left or looking to leave) Free fruit & breakfast You're only chained to your desk metaphorically People who have left say they truly appreciate what they now have after going through this experience...

Cons

All the various reviews below sum everything up extremely accurately. When you try to impose a severely unethical way of conducting day-to-day business there is only going to be one result. Candidates and clients will run a mile, and employees will eventually come to their senses seek the nearest exit. Word of mouth spreads in this industry and reputation counts for everything. The company suffers from extreme delusions of grandeur; everything from the offices, website, promotional material and so called 'core values.' It's mostly fake; just one big illusion to reel in the young and the naive. Nothing demonstrates this more pertinently than the company's ongoing battle to deflect the current truth away from the major crisis they are undoubtedly in. Just lost their biggest Account and a mass exodus of staff is still ongoing. and only going to get worse. The rot has set for some time and the ship is steadily sinking. Just make sure you have a boat and paddle....

Sad to see things haven't changed

I have been working at Montash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Back office staff Free fruit Hot drinks provided

Cons

Treatment of staff - nothing changes and no lessons are ever learnt Management - dictators and really if you don't fit in with them - then you're out. The same words always used in every review from current staff - know they've been told to write a 'positive' review

Advice to Management

Listen to the constant reviews on this site and wake up and change before your name becomes even worse in the industry. Treat your staff with respect and care and you may keep them. Sometimes people will put in the extra for that alone and not because of the threats.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Montash

Pros

Good location for drinking away the pain of working here.

Cons

Culture: With a seriously high turnover of good staff and below market rate salaries, the culture was uninspiring and dull. Instead of securing and retaining top talent and keeping ahead of the market, the CEO employed mainly 17 year old apprentices to deliver on the dwindling company accounts . It seemed like a bums on seats tactic. It's sad to see from a company that once had an ok reputation in the industry. Brand: The company is marketed well, however 90% of the time when you call the clients they claim they work with, the person at the other end of the line has never heard of Montash. Salaries: below average market rate, starting for a researcher is 20k-21k and consultant £25k. They ask you at your interview to sign a contract immediately otherwise they claim they will withdraw the offer. This unprofessional attitude is the "company first, staff second" culture. Commission: below market rate. Pots: Researcher 30%, Associate 50%, Consultant 70% Splits: 0-10k (12.5%) 10-20k (17.5%) 20-30k (20%) 30k+ (25%) The bottom line is, you won't make hardly any money compared to the other agencies out there. They sell you the dream of working hard, and you should work hard, but for a company which rewards you more for it. The only people earning decent money there are the management, which says a lot. Hours: 46.5 hours a week Mon-Thur: 8 - 6:30pm Fri: 8 - 5:30pm 1 hour lunch at 12:30-1:30 only, no other breaks. You also lose one lunch hour every 2 weeks to cover the phones. You don't get this back. Holidays: less than market average: 22 holidays a year (3 have to be takOren Yakobovichen at Xmas) Benefits: None. As a consultant you get 2% of your basic salary into a pension, but that's it. You do get breakfast on a Friday and fruit twice a week, however you all also receive bizarre emails from the CEO threatening to remove these "benefits" if you don't do X Y or Z. Collective punishment in the workplace at it's finest. Overall, I would recommend avoiding this company. Montash struggle to follow their own core values and it's not a place to excel.

RSS Feed </> Embed