Montash

Updated December 30, 2014
Updated December 30, 2014
2.5

Andrew Larholt

Recruitment is Really Hard Work but Extremely Rewarding.

I have been working at Montash

Pros

Meritocratic
    Pave your own path to success
    Resilience and Perseverance is key

Having been in recruitment for more that 5 years I have seen many colleagues excel and fail for many different reasons.

Sometimes people find that the effort of an 8am to 6:30 day too much or cold calling and sales work not their thing however those who do and put in 110% day in day out now reap the rewards of owning their own properties, comfortable lifestyles and more freedom of choice in things they want to do.

My journey has been really rewarding, but of course this does not mean easy! I'm not sure I know anyone who is successful and has not had to work hard to achieve it.

Montash have given me a clear path with realistic targets to achieve my profession goals to date and with the continuous growth i am excited to see what 2015 brings!!

Cons

Sales is challenging
    Long Hours

Keep up the good work and thanks for the support

Avoid like the plague

I worked at Montash

Pros

Fairly decent offices & location

Table tennis table

Monthly lunchclubs/ annual holiday incentives

Cons

Long hours (8am-7pm mon-thurs, 8am-5.30pm on fri)

Installing poor ethics on their staff (i.e. regularly posting fake adverts and lying to clients and candidates)

You get worked like a slave with little or no reward. Starting on 20-21k as a Researcher working 55+ hours per week, on a per hour basis you’d get more money working as a cleaner than for Year 1 at Montash (even if you are successful!)

Huge churn and burn of employees – over 50% of the workforce have left in the last 9 months. Every single person that has left and stayed in the recruitment has moved on to better things. That tells you everything you need to know.

Quality of staff depleted as company tried to grow - for every experienced consultant that departs, they are replaced with either an Apprentice or a Graduate to keep costs down. Quite simply, Montash are unable to attract nor retain talent. Sadly, Montash’ s practices are well known in the industry and their perception is not great that they have no choice but to hire at a lower level. No-one with any experience in the industry would touch them with a bargepole.

Small fish in the market, no major house accounts. Even if you single-handedly bring on new business with a major client, chances are it will eventually get taken away from you.

Huge gulf between staff and senior management. Montash isn’t a place where people stay and progress in the long-term. Some of management are too backward in their methods and have a lot of growing up to do to be effective team leaders. It doesn't help when they are given such responsibilities at such a young age.

Having to sit beside one of them on a daily basis was like sitting beside a highly aggressive child with autistic tendencies. Consistently shouting sexist, racist and crude obscenities about clients and customers in the office should not be tolerated, not least when it is by an experienced manager. At Montash this behaviour was largely overlooked by the CEO, incredibly ironic considering ‘Quality’ being one of their main Core Values.

Salary and commission structure – one of the absolute worst in the market. When you know of top billing consultants consistently bringing £300k+ to the business each year yet are still being paid a 25k basic it makes you realise how much ‘loyalty’ is rewarded at Montash.

Take on board the overwhelmingly negative feedback from staff and start to provide an environment where people want to stay.

Promote managers who gain trust and respect, not just those with the biggest egos.

Next time you write another ‘positive’ review at least make it believable that one of your employees wrote it….maybe try using a different style or something?

Montash: where expectations exceed reality

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have genuinely met a awesome bunch of people whilst working here (albeit majority have now left or looking to leave)
    Free fruit & breakfast
    You're only chained to your desk metaphorically
    People who have left say they truly appreciate what they now have after going through this experience...

Cons

All the various reviews below sum everything up extremely accurately. When you try to impose a severely unethical way of conducting day-to-day business there is only going to be one result. Candidates and clients will run a mile, and employees will eventually come to their senses seek the nearest exit. Word of mouth spreads in this industry and reputation counts for everything. The company suffers from extreme delusions of grandeur; everything from the offices, website, promotional material and so called 'core values.' It's mostly fake; just one big illusion to reel in the young and the naive. Nothing demonstrates this more pertinently than the company's ongoing battle to deflect the current truth away from the major crisis they are undoubtedly in. Just lost their biggest Account and a mass exodus of staff is still ongoing. and only going to get worse. The rot has set for some time and the ship is steadily sinking. Just make sure you have a boat and paddle....

Sad to see things haven't changed

I have been working at Montash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Back office staff
    Free fruit
    Hot drinks provided

Cons

Treatment of staff - nothing changes and no lessons are ever learnt
    Management - dictators and really if you don't fit in with them - then you're out.
    The same words always used in every review from current staff - know they've been told to write a 'positive' review

Listen to the constant reviews on this site and wake up and change before your name becomes even worse in the industry.
    Treat your staff with respect and care and you may keep them. Sometimes people will put in the extra for that alone and not because of the threats.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Montash

Pros

Good location for drinking away the pain of working here.

Cons

Culture: With a seriously high turnover of good staff and below market rate salaries, the culture was uninspiring and dull. Instead of securing and retaining top talent and keeping ahead of the market, the CEO employed mainly 17 year old apprentices to deliver on the dwindling company accounts . It seemed like a bums on seats tactic. It's sad to see from a company that once had an ok reputation in the industry.

Brand: The company is marketed well, however 90% of the time when you call the clients they claim they work with, the person at the other end of the line has never heard of Montash.

Salaries: below average market rate, starting for a researcher is 20k-21k and consultant £25k. They ask you at your interview to sign a contract immediately otherwise they claim they will withdraw the offer. This unprofessional attitude is the "company first, staff second" culture.

Commission: below market rate.
    Pots: Researcher 30%, Associate 50%, Consultant 70%
    Splits: 0-10k (12.5%) 10-20k (17.5%) 20-30k (20%) 30k+ (25%)
    The bottom line is, you won't make hardly any money compared to the other agencies out there. They sell you the dream of working hard, and you should work hard, but for a company which rewards you more for it. The only people earning decent money there are the management, which says a lot.

Hours:
    46.5 hours a week
    Mon-Thur: 8 - 6:30pm
    Fri: 8 - 5:30pm
    1 hour lunch at 12:30-1:30 only, no other breaks.
    You also lose one lunch hour every 2 weeks to cover the phones. You don't get this back.

Holidays: less than market average:
    22 holidays a year (3 have to be takOren Yakobovichen at Xmas)

Benefits: None. As a consultant you get 2% of your basic salary into a pension, but that's it. You do get breakfast on a Friday and fruit twice a week, however you all also receive bizarre emails from the CEO threatening to remove these "benefits" if you don't do X Y or Z. Collective punishment in the workplace at it's finest.

Overall, I would recommend avoiding this company. Montash struggle to follow their own core values and it's not a place to excel.

Find out why more employees than ever before are leaving Montash,

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The free Fruit bowl and back office team are great.
    Due to the constant revolving door policy you get to meet lots of new employees.

Cons

It is simply a matter of time until the broken promises , lies and pressure cooker environment gets to you.
    All consultants will have started to experience senior managements lies and personal attacks realizing that Montash are just in the game of extorting you as much as possible. A mass exodus has recently occurred due to treatment of staff and broken promises.
    Montash favors the deceitful approach rather than creating long lasting relationships.
    Working here I have been made to post regular fake jobs, lie to my clients and colleagues - Yes lying to colleagues is a common theme here and working roles in secret without your permanent counterpart or junior members knowing is common practice.
    This is a old school mentality not fit for a growing company in the 21st century - As such we only have one account about to be lost, single deals here and there and a lack of honest professional managers.
    A very unhappy place and morbid environment.

Honesty - Lie to everyone including your colleagues
    Leaders- Not in the industry and definitely not in managers
    Respectable - Bully Staff, Racism,Sexism,
    Specialist - Fake jobs and PDF's does not make you a specialist
    Quality - As above

Old school recruitment is dead - Stop lying to your clients,customers and employees
    There is a reason we have no big accounts,no big teams and no respect in the marketplace

a very energetic, supportive and meritocratic workplace!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Montash full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a giant graphic on the kitchen wall which highlights all the different career paths you can take within Montash. This is so everyone knows where they can be, what they need to achieve and how they can get there. The company is a meritocracy and is very honest. I was told in my interview that regardless of my background or who I was, as long as I worked hard, I would be put in charge of people. The offices are very stylish and scream technology, innovation and Montash. This is all thanks to the marketing team at Montash.

They manage every detail. From the design of internal birthday cards and inspiring graphics on the toilet mirrors to LinkedIn profiles and Montash's website, everything is professional and well devised.

At Montash they look after their staff. There is fresh fruit in the kitchen, free breakfast on a Friday, top-quality coffee and expensive 'Borg and Overstrom' filtered water-coolers dotted around the office. The offices are always very clean and the desks are spacious. Success is widely rewarded here in both terms of commission and recognition. Failure is rewarded with classroom, on-the-job training and attention from the supportive management here. The management want you to succeed as much as you want to. Nobody here wants to see anybody else fail. Montash is a friendly, energetic, fun and supportive team of talented professionals. The management have a good balance of authority, 'strictness', humor and forgiveness.

Montash doesn't end at 5:30pm on a Friday. Everyone stays in the office to enjoy a cold beer from the fridge, good music, some table-tennis and a catch-up before continuing the Friday-feeling in various restaurants, bars and other past-times around London.

Their offices are about a 60 second walk from Old Street tube station. The offices have great connections to the rest of the city via the Northern line, Central and Met line.

The MD at Montash is a down-to-earth and all-around nice guy. He never hesitates to speak to you, whether he passes you by in the Kitchen or you make eye-contact from across the room. He sit's among everyone on the sales-floor too, giving out advice, motivating staff and just generally taking an interest in you personally.

My favorite pro for working at Montash is the table-tennis at lunch. There is a full-sized, professional table-tennis table in the middle of the sales-floor; they don't just work professionally, they play professionally too. It helps new staff to get involved and socialize, as well as breeding a competitive yet fun environment. I myself got to know most of the people here, by playing table-tennis with them.

Cons

As per any recruitment role, it is unlike any other office job, the hours are long and there is only an hour break in the day.

The job is also very stressful, you need to be resilient and thick-skinned. You will hear the word 'no' and get rejected a hundred odd times, before you succeed.

Keep up the good work. I can already see the company progressing and having an exceptional service with candidates and clients, they are setting a high industry standard. The company is already rapidly expanding, so my advice would be to ensure that the support and recognition given to staff continues with the ongoing growth of the company.

A strong combo of elitism / sexism and propaganda........no not Soviet Russia....... Montash

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Montash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its not as cold as Soviet Russia
    I was paid a salary
    they had fruit

Cons

The recent propaganda Montash have distributed through the use of Glassdoor is a thin veil over the deep cracks within the company. The turnover of staff is huge as senior management are more concerned about filling targets as opposed to treating people like human beings. It's entertaining to think that a company with such a strong group of dissatisfied ex-employees thinks they can create a new persona for the company through the use of a PUBLIC social media site. Similarities can be seen between the Gulag of the USSR and senior management at Montash - they work their staff like dogs, the work is mundane and boring, huge gulf between senior management and workers, little to no chance of career trajectory. To be fair Montash do have a nice new office as opposed to mines in Siberia. Being ridden like Seabiscuit for a poor salary and fake promises of untold wealth in bonuses wasn't for me.

More democracy,
    more autonomy,
    less rape and pillaging of staff

Andrew Larholt is one of the good guys of recruitment

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Montash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Came across this when looking up another company that I have been called to interview with and thought I would look up my first recruitment employer Montash. I am very surprised at some of the negative comment made about Montash and Andrew Larholt. Montash was my first job in recruitment and it was hard work. The rewards are good and looking back I did well out of it. I left and joined another recruitment company but turned out to be a whole lot worse. I have now been in recruitment for some time now and I have to say Montash is one of the better ones out there. Andrew Larholt is a generous boss he is very down to earth and is one you can relate to very easily. Andrew Larholt made being in recruitment fun so don’t be fooled by some of the remarks on here who may just be jealous of what he has given the people who actually get to work for him. I made some good friends in Montash and still keep in touch with many of them who tell me a few people like me who left went back to Montash. I can go back but recruitment is not for me so I want something different.

Andrew Larholt is a good boss. Don’t be fooled by those jealous of Andrew Larholt.

Cons

Long hours
    Everyone knows how well or bad you are doing
    Limited choice of drinks

Do not listen to those who think they are owed an easy ride in recruitment. I now realise that Montash is one of the better people to work for in recruitment.

Montash is a place for Career Progression and Life Progression

I have been working at Montash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at Montash for over 2 years, the time that I have been at Montash has bought a massive change in my career and personal life. Before Montash I was at another recruitment firm, the job was mundane, I had to work hard and got an average pay with no recognition at all.

I joined Montash as a Researcher, from the first day I set foot in Montash offices, I knew I had made the right decision. I've been progressed from a Researcher to a Consultant and I'm on my way to Management level. My Manager is providing me with continuous support and mentoring, and is building me up to be a manager with my own team of Consultants.

The support structure that the Senior Management team has built is proven to be a success, as I have seen many peers come as Researchers / Associate Consultants, who are now on the same level as me or above. Everyone's career paths are treated individually and you are allowed to achieve these goals at your own paces. Its not like a factory where you churn a certain number of Associate Consultants to Consultants, and then into managers and so forth. You are given the choice whether you want to be in management or become a senior consultant or go down the account management route.

There's not one achievement, success or target that is hit that goes unnoticed. Everything we do gets recognised and rewarded, via Lunch Clubs, fully paid for BI annual holidays, tailor made suits, £500 clothes vouchers for the ladies, rolex club and so many more. My success is due to the company I'm working for, the values and culture that Montash stands for. Had I been elsewhere I know for sure I would not be in this position and have achieved the many personal goals I set myself.

The CEO Andy Larholt of Montash has built a great business, team, working environment, culture and values. He is a very inspiring individual and knows how to spot, nurture and develop talent. Andy has given every employee the opportunity to open close doors and see life positively and believe within yourself to achieve the greatness you want in life. At Montash its truly a culture of work hard to play hard. Personal growth is equally as important as professional growth.

Cons

The hours are long, but I'm willing to put the time in to achieve the goals I want.

Keep up with the good work and continue in believing in people and talent.