Montclair State

Be The First To
Add Photos

Montclair State President Susan A. Cole

Susan A. Cole

One of the best positions I've ever taken

Student Web Assistant (Former Employee)
    Montclair, NJ

ProsOffice staff is friendly, professional, and laid back (whenever opportune), you will get the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of people and students from different backgrounds and majors. They are extremely flexible with your schedule as long as you put in your 15 hours/ 4 school days per week AND you complete all tasks within the deadlines issued. You will be given the opportunity to learn about various International Study Abroad trips and countries while you're doing your work.

ConsSchool has them located in a small single family house converted into office.
    School sets guidelines on what they can pay their student assistants.
    All the student assistants are segmented between 3 floors and it takes a bit of effort to meet and interact with your peers.

Incredibly boring status quo

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun campus, great to be in higher education.

ConsState employee mentality, overly union

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more modern thinkers at every opportunity.

Exhausting, but not very challenging.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
    Montclair, NJ

ProsDecent hours, easy work, good work environment.

ConsDisrespectful students, unorganized management, low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize your policies at the start of the semester and stick to them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good and bad.

ProsFacilities can be new or old depending on where you are placed. Great flexibility on what you are going to teach and how you will present information. Pay scale is good for summer job.

ConsPoor administration of program. Employees are never paid on time.

Accountant: Division of Finance and Treasury

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Montclair, NJ

ProsFlexible hours, very family-friendly, professional

ConsYou are give training and then on your own

Overall, working for Montclair State was a good decision.

ProsFairly Easy, Fun Work Environment

ConsThe pay rate and hours weren't always the best.

Worst experience of my life!

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay; beautiful campus. That's about it!

ConsI worked in the Office of Alumni Relations. Since the moment I started working, there was no welcoming, no sense that my co-workers were happy to have me join the team, no type of kindness whatsoever. As time progressed, my co-workers acted as bullies who enjoyed when I made a mistakes and constantly told my supervisor lies about my performance. I had no training or proper new employee on-boarding. I had to figure out most of my job responsibilities by myself. When I approached my supervisor for assistance on how to deal with the toxic environment in the office, I was told to "deal with it." I got the same response from HR, which was useless (like in most places. They work for the employer, not for the worker). Another one of my co-workers who started around the same time I did, went through the same ridicule and unpleasantness and we both quit right around the same time. It was only after about a month into my job that I found out that the person who held my job prior to me had left after only 3 months and that she had the same problems with my co-workers. Before that, the department faced a discrimination complaint and that person was displaced to another department very unceremoniously. It is very clear that it's the alumni relations office that has a problem. I made great friends in other departments and dealt with perfectly decent and kind people. To summarize, worst experience of my life and leaving was the best decision I've ever made! All the money in the world is not worth going through what I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they know what's going on but want to maintain the status quo

MICRO-MANAGES the staff to the point that you just want to quit

Customer Service II (Current Employee)

ProsMedical and Dental Benefits, Pension

ConsParking is horrible. Employee lots are limited so the employees end up having to pay for parking or walking 2 miles to their office

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing the employees, we are not children.

Great School that is on the rise and was a pleasure to work for.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)
    Upper Montclair, NJ

ProsFree Education, Flexible Work Schedule, Great Opportunity to Network with members of faculty. Great Work/Life Balance

ConsNot challenging enough when it came to research and other projects. Sometimes treated as a secretary rather than a graduate student capable of more complex tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGraduate Assistants do not really know each other and more should be done to get at least assistants from the same schools to network and work on projects across different business disciplines, for example.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome professors are truly helpful and grade fairly.

ConsMany professors grade based on personality rather than ability. The registrar is full of attitude and lacks any willingness to assist the students. I strongly advise that if you intend to receive a challenging and full experience that you do not attend this University. My professors never respond to my emails or calls. Instead, they say to attend office hours. Now every time that I go to their office hours they are never there, which is frustrating when you are a commuter student. That being said, the university is roughly 80% commuter students who have no intention of staying on campus longer than they have to, and I do not blame them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease lose the attitude. When I send an email asking for help I expect a helpful response, not a sarcastic email that does not answer my question or point to the individual that actually can help me. It is simply unprofessional.

Worked for Montclair State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Montclair State reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Montclair State CEO Susan A. Cole. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Montclair State employees.