Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute CEO Christopher Scholin

Christopher Scholin

Work on interesting problems, but make sure you fit into the community.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Moss Landing, CA

ProsGreat location & research. 9/80 work schedule.

ConsTypically a long commute -- 30 minutes from Santa Cruz and 30-40 from Monterey, with rural living in-between. It's a tough adjustment for someone who really enjoyed being able to walk to work before.

Sometimes feels isolated at work. It can be difficult to connect and fit in with people here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your postdocs more, and/or let them participate in retirement plans.

Sometimes it feels like my time and my contributions are not valued.

Summer Intern Program

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Moss Landing, CA

ProsExcellent intern program available for a variety of areas of study in the sciences and engineering. Lots of support for the interns. Great community and atmosphere. Housing in organized for the interns. Surfboard and bike locker!

ConsInternship program is designed more as an educational outreach rather than prospective for hiring. There were some interns from past years that were hired but it is an extremely low percentage compared to many other intern programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in the intern program.

MBARI is a GREAT place to work

Electronics Technician (Current Employee) Moss Landing, CA

ProsThe location is spectacular, within yards of Monterey Bay. We often see whales, dolphins, sea otters, and a huge variety of seabirds from the facilities windows. The work is rewarding and environmentally sound. Colleagues are far above average in knowledge and respect for others. Computer support is the best I have ever experienced. All the tools necessary to do one's job are in place, and are top quality.

ConsVery little high tech nearby. Transportation is a real problem, as Highway One is a dangerous two-lane sadly neglected, heavily traveled corridor. The nearest Fry's Electronics is 'way over the hill in San Jose. There are no technical bookstores in the area. There are few services in the immediate area: no place to get a haircut, or go to the bank, or a service station, unless you drive seven miles or so to Castroville or Watsonville.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees.

Worked for Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!