Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute

Reset
4.0
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute CEO Christopher Scholin
Christopher Scholin

1. Learned a lot, but I never fit in...

Former Employee - R&D Electrical Engineer in Moss Landing, CA
    Former Employee - R&D Electrical Engineer in Moss Landing, CA

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The projects I worked on at MBARI were some of the most enjoyable in my career, and I got to work on A LOT of projects. There was a lot of opportunity to explore technology and expand my capabilities. Obviously having in an office right on the beach was great. I loved the encouraged opportunity to publish my work and attend the yearly IEEE Oceans conference. There were a lot of perks to working there, including the annual golf tournament. I also enjoyed going to sea with Operations when I got the opportunity. The benefits were exceptional, including the retirement plan. The guest lectures were incredible. The proximity to places like 17-mile drive and Laguna Seca.

Cons

The staff is filled with idealists from all different sides, and there is rarely any reasoning with them. You just have to kind of learn to live with whomever is preaching to you at the moment. Not a lot of other high-tech in the area. You have to head up to the San Jose area for decent tech purchases. There was a lot of gang activity in Salinas. With just a BSEE I doubt I'd get hired there again. Seems like the PhDs ran everything, so not a lot of opportunity to come up with ideas to explore. Just worked on others' ideas. Wasn't included on at least one patent that I should have been. Not a lot of credit given for contributions.

Advice to Management

Get back to what Packard wanted, a collaboration between scientists/engineers/operations. The infighting created a nasty political atmosphere.

2. Marine Operations

Pros

Some really bright and great people to work with.

Cons

Some people that could not hold a job in the real world. Wages are based on who you know not what you can offer

Advice to Management

get a hold of the waste, lots of money on bad decisions. IE retiring the Point Lobos to buy the Carson. one step forward ten steps back.

3. Work on interesting problems, but make sure you fit into the community.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Moss Landing, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Moss Landing, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location & research. 9/80 work schedule.

Cons

Typically a long commute -- 30 minutes from Santa Cruz and 30-40 from Monterey, with rural living in-between. It's a tough adjustment for someone who really enjoyed being able to walk to work before. Sometimes feels isolated at work. It can be difficult to connect and fit in with people here.

Advice to Management

Pay your postdocs more, and/or let them participate in retirement plans. Sometimes it feels like my time and my contributions are not valued.

5. Summer Intern Program

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Moss Landing, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Moss Landing, CA

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent intern program available for a variety of areas of study in the sciences and engineering. Lots of support for the interns. Great community and atmosphere. Housing in organized for the interns. Surfboard and bike locker!

Cons

Internship program is designed more as an educational outreach rather than prospective for hiring. There were some interns from past years that were hired but it is an extremely low percentage compared to many other intern programs.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the intern program.

MBARI is a GREAT place to work

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Moss Landing, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Moss Landing, CA

Pros

The location is spectacular, within yards of Monterey Bay. We often see whales, dolphins, sea otters, and a huge variety of seabirds from the facilities windows. The work is rewarding and environmentally sound. Colleagues are far above average in knowledge and respect for others. Computer support is the best I have ever experienced. All the tools necessary to do one's job are in place, and are top quality.

Cons

Very little high tech nearby. Transportation is a real problem, as Highway One is a dangerous two-lane sadly neglected, heavily traveled corridor. The nearest Fry's Electronics is 'way over the hill in San Jose. There are no technical bookstores in the area. There are few services in the immediate area: no place to get a haircut, or go to the bank, or a service station, unless you drive seven miles or so to Castroville or Watsonville.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed