Monterey Bay Aquarium

Updated November 9, 2014
3.5

Julie Packard

MBA security

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and team work environment.

Cons

Separation in senior leadership on operations side. leading to competing ideals two distinctive growth paths for the MBA.

Internal training for promotional potential. Hire and promote based on experience and proficiency not time accrued. Don't be afraid to let go of people who aren't pulling their weight or are bringing the team down.

Customer service oriented, 10x.

Former Employee - Guest Experience Representative in Monterey, CA

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the bay area's gems. It is truly unique, and it stands out as one of the best aquariums in the world. What really makes it quite exceptional is that the aquarium give visitors a peak at what the bay actually is like.

When you work there you will quickly see a stratified the workforce. There are A LOT of entry level positions there, and very few entry level jobs ever progress into anything more advanced. The people that create the displays are often volunteers for years before actually getting a job.

If you can get into middle management, or research those jobs congrats.

Cons

I was always catching colds because visitors come regardless of whether they are contagious. In addition, moving up in rank is very hard.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Guide in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Guide in Monterey, CA

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Family atmosphere while on shifts. It's easy to feel reward for your efforts and there are lots of perks for volunteers and employees.

Cons

None really... Meal vouchers would've been nice because we have a short lunch break.. More continued training would have been nice, too. I went on a leave of absence for a year for school, and when I came back some of the exhibits had changed. No one really bothered to catch up to speed except to give me a book to read. It was unfortunate.

I greatly enjoyed my time working at the Monterey Bay Aquarium during college.

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Representative in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium part-time

Pros

The care for the animals and dedication to teaching people about our ocean is the best I have seen from any aquarium.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by, but if you need a part time job during college it is a great place to work!

Try to stay clear from showing favoritism in staff members. It creates an environment where individuals do not feel comfortable speaking with you about current problems or issues they are facing with co-workers.

staff are committed to the mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

beautiful location, inspiring mission, best aquarium in the world, good benefits

Cons

Favorites get away with anything and everything. Each department has them. Most senior management are removed (a few of them are the favorites) from staff problems including conflicts, under performers and workload distribution. Poor performers are routinely promoted. No consequences for under performers.

Action! Take the time to connect with your staff. Acknowledge the senior leadership who don't act according to the values of the organization and put them to pasture instead of letting problem employees carry on for years just because they are friends.

Outstanding company

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time

Pros

Loved working here, great people who are all working together towards the mission. Great training programs, development and coaching and overall sense of pride you get working here.

Cons

Non-profit so salaries are lower than you might hope; balanced by great benefits and extra perks though.

Wonderful Aquarium - typical NGO culture

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best Aquarium in the US...you can't beat Monterey as a place to work. I was part of the Seafood Watch team for 2+ years (not the attraction side of the Aquarium). The team is passionate about the work they do - which is educate and promote sustainable seafood to consumers, restaurants and businesses.

Cons

There is definitely favoritism for those employees who have been there a long time and are close friends with the Executive Director. They are 'protected' and will never be reprimanded for poor performance or any other valid reason. Unfortunately, I witnessed on more than one occasion people being rewarded for continuous bad behavior. Many staff are so grateful to work there, they don't give much needed feedback for fear of retaliation. As with many non-profits, things move very slowly, and it is a culture of consensus vs. having someone make a much needed decision and moving forward. Also, it is a very hierarchical culture, that neither fosters nor listens to the ideas of junior staff (whom often times have great input; based on my experience there).

Management is part of the problem. If you really want to understand what is going on, take the time to talk with all members of your team. Recognize that some people are more of a liability than an asset to your organization, and take proper measures to make changes. Infusion of new people and ideas is a good thing.

Top notch conservation, research & educational institute

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission & work life balance

Cons

Salary &Compensation could be better

none

I believe in their conservation work, not their politics amongst employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experience the exhibits, meet great people, benefits and progressive attempt

Cons

non profit organization means little pay and little advancement in professional growth.

Experience the workload you give your employees. Lead by example with your employees, not hiding in a office or meeting

Guest Experience Representative

Former Employee - Guest Experience Representative in Monterey, CA

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Amazing team of talented individuals
    - Organized morning meetings that make all employees feel informed and included
    - Stellar management that mentor as well as supervise
    - Beautiful place to work, both in & around

Cons

- Generally only day shift available - students with day classes may have trouble

Rock on!