Montesquieu Reviews

2.8

Fonda Hopkins

Not what you would expect

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Montesquieu full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great female manager. She teaches you a lot about wine and the industry. I really enjoyed the meetings we had with her. We also get to taste wine (which were great) and the office environment was fun!

Cons

This is a telemarketing job! For some, this is fine and actually enjoy working on the phone. But when you apply as a wine sales broker, you would expect to meet with your clients. But, that's just not the case. You are calling these "potential" clients at their PLACE OF WORK. I am not okay with that and find that very annoying. This was not what I wanted or expected.

To further save your time as well as ours, just be direct at the interview what you expect us to do. Let us know that this is basically a telemarketing job that CAN be lucrative, but it is still a telemarketing job.

Another unrealistic opportunity

Former Employee - Wine Broker  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Wine Broker in San Diego, CA

I worked at Montesquieu full-time for less than a year

Pros

San Diego had a good female Manager that could teach you valuable information.
    If you make it past a month you can make some good money. Not very likely you will stay that long though.

Fun atmosphere.

Recommended style of selling is truly on a high level of awesome. (Banter, Bs, Call out). Not your typical kiss butt style which is not effective at all!

Cons

Where to begin. It's another company that states $100k is very likely your first year. True if you are willing to do whatever it takes to make money including lying. My second day there I raised the question that the two sales reps who have been working there have been there for under a month. Like a typical salesperson she tried putting it back on me stating something along the lines of "If you are having doubts then you should question if you want to be here or not." Typical "bs saleperson" answer. The concern was about if employees actually lasted a long time here and not prematurely evacuated ;).
      After what I observed and reviewed it seems like Montesquieu hires people once or twice a month for a few reasons: there is no job security and they fire a majority of the people a few weeks to maybe a few months after they are hired. Those who stay seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to make a dollar. This company is no different than a lot of sales companies out there who make big promises but do not have good values/morals.
      The only way I would recommend working here is if you need a few 100 dollars. You get paid $500 a week so last here as long as you can and don't expect to stay here too long or make a career out of it. Take the training information and apply it elsewhere.
      I had mad anxiety from the get go which usually results if I detect bs. I think the bs radar was on overload because of how unethical this place be. Bottom line, DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!

To lay out the entire job responsibilities so people don't waste their time and energy. Don't numb people with alcohol thinking that this will make your lame company seem like a legit opportunity.

BEST JOB IN THE WORLD

Current Employee - Private Wine Broker Sales  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Private Wine Broker Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Montesquieu

Pros

Money: the pay is more than fair in regards to your performance...especially in the beggining when they give you a base salary plus commission while you are in the trenches of building you client base.
    Vacation and Benefits: Some of the best I have seen in the sales world. You can get up to 9 weeks fully paid vacation.
    Management, growth,and education: The management is truly there for you. If you come ready to go, submit to what they tell you to do, and follow their lead, you can't help but to be successful. There is always room to grow and take over an existing or new office.
    Time at home: If you are successful as a broker and you wish to have more time at home, after a certain amount of time hitting certain sales goals, you are able to come into work half days or take Fridays off. There is no overtime in this company. You show up as a team, you work hard, and you leave at 530 as a team everyday...unless you have paid your dues and qualify to leave early.

Rewards from company, exciting events: Montesquieu is amazing when it comes to sales competitions and events. Prizes can include anything from trips to New york with limo rides and cash to wine tastinf in the many popular areas of France.

Cons

Very few people can survive the client building process. Every day the "newbies" must face constant rejection and fight to win over clients, but if they follow managements constant lead and support, they can not fail.

Keep doing what you are doing!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dream Job

I have been working at Montesquieu

Pros

I’ve been with the company for over 6 years now and I love what I do! Our environment is extremely positive and I am surrounded by a fun, talented, motivated sales team. The support structure is outstanding, not only are you supported and encouraged for individual success, but team success as well. I get my clients access to incredible wines from all over the world that are not offered to the general public, and I work directly with successful individuals all over the country that love what I do for them! There are also opportunities for growth within the organization and unlimited earning potential. Opportunites to travel, wine dinners, and tasting incredible wine from around the world…why would you would want to do anything else!

Cons

That our wines sell out so quickly. Just when you are beginning to fall in love, you have to move on :)

Keep doing what you are doing.

What a Joke

I worked at Montesquieu

Pros

Tasting wine/drinking wine while at work.

Cons

Their "leads" are a joke. In my first few days on the phones, supposedly calling on "wine enthusiasts", I spoke to not one person who even liked wine. Many leads were for deceased persons and people who had not lived/worked at the number for several years. We were instructed to find "find the wine guy" regardless.
    Their wines are decent, but overpriced, and only available by the case. Really? Selling cases of wine to people who do not even drink wine?? Not even close to what they sell the job as being.

When a wine professional applies to your company, be honest with them. Just tell them that you really need heartless phone sharks who can endure making hundreds of calls to bogus leads in order to find one wine enthusiast to talk to.

This is a telemarketing job!

I worked at Montesquieu

Pros

They tried to make things more fun by having games with wine as a reward and provided crazy costumes(hats, glasses, etc to wear).

Cons

They are completely deceptive. They are nothing more than a telemarketing center with call sheets. They lie to you and the people that you call. Run as fast as you can away from this place!
    They make you wear a headset so they can tap into the phone line and you have a manager or senior employee telling you exactly what they want you to say to the person on the other end...even if it's a bold face lie...not good!

Tell the truth. This is not an international wine broker position it's nothing more than telemarketing.

Walk away, you can do better

I worked at Montesquieu full-time for less than a year

Pros

Montesquieu Wines is a company without pros.

Cons

Most deceptive company I have encountered.This one really wants to convince it's employees and customers that what they do is a service. They say initially you have 6 months before you go on commission only, truth- they have no intention of keeping you for 6 months. Be prepared, if you are not willing to do anything for money, this is not the employer for you. Bottom line, No Integrity. So if you live with values and integrity in who you are and what you do, definitely look elsewhere for an employer that will treat you with a little humanity. And the warm sales leads are not warm.

Treat people with a little humanity. If you are going to let people go, have the courtesy to give them notice. Maybe read a few personal development books. There is a lot you can learn about how to better run your company and how to treat people. There is a better way to run a business.

Worked for Montesquieu? Contribute to the Community!