Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)

www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org

Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland) Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland) Superintendent Dr. Joshua Starr

Dr. Joshua Starr

Pleasant and challenging place to work !

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsVery flexible hours. Wonderful way to work and still be home for your children when they need you.

ConsA person needs to be flexible to deal with different situations that may occur in the classroom. Most teachers are extremely helpful and leave really good plans for you to follow in the classroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have access to paid training.

Shocked at the level of ineptitude

Teacher (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

Prosstudents, parents, classroom, co-workers,

ConsCommunication and training is very poor. Common sense from administrators is lacking. Students and parents were wonderful. CT's and admin are ill equipped and lack knowledge of core curriculum. I was shocked. I am a 20 year vetern and expected the best. Unfortunately this was my worst experience of my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry seeking out talent rather than feeling threatened by experienced and good teachers.

OK place to work.

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe students and teachers are great to work with

ConsIssues are not taken care of at all, they are just pushed to the side. Management has no vision for the future and changes policies day to day.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducation is about educating... Management is about managing, educate yourself in management please. The education classes you have taken are not helping you to be effective leaders or managers of people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are many opportunities for employees without traditional teaching degrees.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsMCPS offers a wide range of opportunities ranging from support services to high trained specialized academic instruction. It is easy to find a niche job that meets your background and interest. There are both full time and part time positions available at a wide range of locations throughout the county.

ConsEach school has its own unique population and culture, so it is best to make sure that you are a good fit with that school. There is a lot of teamwork and the need to meet uniform standards, so any supplemental instruction on areas of personal knowledge or interest is hard to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization is imperative. A well organized and well planned day can make all the difference in achieving success. The teachers need to be more than just a few weeks ahead of the students in planning the instruction.

A good place to build an educational career.

ProsAmazing educators doing tremendous work for students.

ConsCurrent leadership jumps from one idea to another without coherent implementation.

Special education

ProsI have worked with some wonderful people who really care about the students. The programs and opportunities available for students with disabilities is impressive

ConsCommunication is not always clear between management and staff. The county is growing rapidly and special education always seems to get left behind

Okay gig

ProsDecent schools and some good classes to sub for. plenty of options for where/what to sub

ConsHR is sloppy and unhelpful at times

MCPS the best example of patronage ever

Project Manager (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsWonderful place for people who need job security. You can work there for 30 years without having to go through a single evaluation.

ConsThe is too much patronage and the decision making is horrible. You may wonder how the rank so high. Too much money is being used to teach student to the test.

It's OK, but stagnant.

IT Development (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGreat Benefits at a low cost compared to the private sector. Excellent job security. Lots of Holidays and vacation.

ConsWork load is constantly increasing. No communication on what management want. Decisions are defaulted not made due to playing the Cover Your Ass game. Don't expect promotions what you start as is what you will remain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions and stop playing the CYA game.

Great position for someone who has children in the school system

ProsYou share the same days off with your children, on the job learning and good health benefits

ConsParaeducators are hourly positions, you are at the bottom of the hierarchy of the school system and have to work hard to have connection and relationships with teachers and admin.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate one paid hour a week to have Paraeducators participate in Staff meetings

Worked for Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)? Contribute to the Community!