Mood Media Reviews

Updated April 29, 2015
89 reviews filtered by
1.9
Steve Richards

Pros
  • ample time off, casual dress code, offices for some (in 5 reviews)

• 4 weeks PTO, along with about 5 federal holidays, so altogether, a little over a month paid time off (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one really knows why they are doing what they do or at least (in 13 reviews)

• You really have to wonder how this senior management team got hired (in 5 reviews)

1. awesome

I have been working at Mood Media

Pros

everything is great - good job

Cons

none that i can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Definitely Getting Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Does Mood have issues? Yes, of course.

Are they working to get better? Yes, from what I can see and feel - they are trying and have done a good job.

The company is fun, the people work hard, and the business is big and booming. If you are a Customer Service Representative or work in Billing, the job is tough, hourly work. However, for those working in the creative, marketing, product, design, or engineering space - the work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Management needs to work on better communication. We need more transparency on what the company is doing to get better and news on new product launches and initiatives.

Big discrepancy on office culture. If you visit Mood offices across the US you will find that some are MUCH nicer than others, this has a big impact on the work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep trying, put faith into your employees, keep making employees happy, keep launching new products.

Great Company Moving in the Right Direction

Current Contractor - Senior Web Developer in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Contractor - Senior Web Developer in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Mood Media as a contractor

Pros

Room for growth and many benefits to being in the office including bands, lunches and events held for employees. I was full time for 5 years and moved out of state switching to contract. Mood Media has been very good to me and acknowledge your worth to the company.

Cons

There have been negatives in recent years due to transitions of many companies coming together to form Mood. This year Mood is settling in place with a great team and one voice. The cons have been falling fast.

Advice to Management

Communication with departments as a whole could prove useful as opposed to filtering everything through department heads all the time. Of course generally this is fair for time management although 6 month or so full department discussions may help with insight into multiple opinions within the company instead of a filtered one through management. Just my 2 cents.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

Free coffee and .25 cents vending machines

Cons

Your schedule changes daily, even if you are a senior employee who requests to be on a set schedule. The norm is 10 to 11 hour days with a measly 30 minute lunch break. It is difficult to use PTO; you must swap with another employee who is off on the day you need. (I thought that's what PTO's for?) PTO can be scheduled months in advanced, and you have a 99% chance that it will be denied. Most loose PTO at end of the year because they were not allowed to use it. To add insult to injury, you can't sell unused time back to the company. Good employees never stay long because there is no raises; you have to apply for another position (if one is available) to earn more money.

Advice to Management

Enroll in some basic management courses, and let people use their PTO without jumping through hoops.

Apr 30, 2015Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and we apologize for your poor experience at Mood. Thanks to feedback like yours, we have been able to identify many opportunities for improvement and are ... More

They don't care about the employees

Current Employee - Sales Account Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is cool stuff we get, like bands come play once a month for about 10 minutes.

Cons

The management is all over the place. No one cares about you if you're not management. The turnover is so high. Low pay for stressful work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Stop making us work overtime and come in on weekends.

Good Place to work

I have been working at Mood Media

Pros

Room for growth, fun environment, good leadership

Cons

Must know what career path you want to take and carve it out for yourself.

Advice to Management

More transparency and understanding of the big picture.

Great

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media

Pros

good people, fun environment, decent benifits

Cons

High stress, high workload, customer complaints

Advice to Management

communication breakdowns

Mar 24, 2015Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with Mood! Thank you for your contributions and working through the stresses of your high demand job. You are ... More

Tough couple of years. Major improvement in 2015!

Current Employee - Sales Account Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting products that touch lots of people every day. I've heard about partnerships with Pandora, Shazam, Spotify, but don't really know details. Management does seem to care about employees and moral, just doesn't do a good job communicating it. Kinda funny. Think that there is good career path here as they seem to need new talent. Sales people seem to get all of the attention. That's good if you are one.

Cons

2014 was tough based on computer system conversion to Oracle. Impacted lots of employees and clients. Still a challenge here and there, but much better now. Tough to merge the cultures of 2 company's that were such long time competitors (DMX and Muzak). Still some us vs. them mentality that runs along former company lines. Lots of senior leadership changes since I've been here that I think were linked to investors and financial matters. The current group seems to be stable now, but they don't tell people what's going on

Advice to Management

Do a better job communicating with the employees in the various facilities in Austin. Be more transparent, good and bad. I hear good things when I actually poke around, but nobody knows about them. Employees need to know about what things mean to them, not to investors.

10. The experience was not to bad.

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

The hours were ok.I liked what I was doing installing sound systems ,satellite music,and drive thru ssystems.

Cons

Their was no communication in the management side of the company.The equipment was never shipped on time and the schedulers would you late for a job.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is better to have the internal tech to do the job instead of a subcontractor who might know what they are doing

Unfortunate and sad what the company has become

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mood Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The concept of music and sensory branding is just the coolest concept to me. Creating an environment and connecting customers to a brand is a very fun and gratifying career.

Cons

The merger was the worst thing that could happen for the company. You take two lifelong competitors, one that was bankrupt, and expect them to not have animosity? Whats worse is they then tried to implement Muzak's bloated processes and failed managers to create the worst trickle-down effect imaginable. Some points:

- Management (most, not all) are only looking out for themselves. If there's a problem, not their fault. Pass the buck down. If there's praise, they're the first to sing their own praises. They manage using fear tactics, which means that no one talks for fear that they might get blamed or fired. One SVP in particular didn't speak a word to me for months towards the end upon reaching out to him by email or spoke on conference calls. Unprofessional.

- Music Design is the most undervalued department in the entire company. Without them, there is no company. Yet they make some of the lowest salaries/hourly wages in the entire company. No performance reviews and no raises. So you never know where you stand.

- Working for this company affected my personal life. I became defeatist, cynical, and depressed. Before the merger, this career was my passion. I sacrificed so much time and energy for little pay, but it didn't bother me because I loved what I did! Everyone was worried, but optimistic about the merger. Slowly but surely, logical ideas got rejected, efficiency opportunities ignored, and the passion that I once had fizzled into disappointment and resentment for what we had become.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees well. Hear them out, even if you don't want to. Explain to them your reasoning and bring them on board with your idea, or even adopt aspects of their idea if they are genuinely good! Don't be afraid to give thanks and treat them like human beings.

Apr 30, 2015Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and we deeply regret your poor experience at Mood. We have faced many challenges in our reorganization, including aligning and unifying the management team, and ... More