Mood Media

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
1.6

Steve Richards

Pros
  • ample time off, casual dress code, offices for some (in 5 reviews)

• 4 weeks PTO, along with about 5 federal holidays, so altogether, a little over a month paid time off (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one really knows why they are doing what they do or at least (in 13 reviews)

• You really have to wonder how this senior management team got hired (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointed at the path the company chose after buying out Muzak

Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator
    Former Employee - Warehouse Coordinator

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

It was good work ... while it lasted. for about a year after they bought out all competition, everything stayed status quo, which was a good thing for those employed in Muzak, and other companies they had bought out. All pay and most benefits were honored.

Cons

No raises for anyone, they took some benefits with no advanced noticed and left a lot of people including me in a bind for transportation and extra pay to which we had become accustomed. Lowered our health care options and charged more out of pocket and monthly cost to employees. Completely erased the name of Muzak, while at the same time not giving the same services and options Muzak had given to their customers

Pay more attention to your employees and their economic welfare, and not so much to new technology when you are strapped for cash. Also, you should have kept Muzak and their service standards and technology options open for customers who wanted more individualized personal service, and different service and equipment options.

It could be great but...

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

The company has many of the right elements to be very successful. Specifically their are many very talented and hard working people doing the jobs that keeps the company going and the clients happy (customer service, music programming, installations, etc).

Cons

The company has had a tough time consolidating its business units and getting people focused around a single vision. In large part because there is no real vision. To quote a musician "a point in every direction is the same as no point at all". For you kids out there it is Harry Nilsson's The Point.

Get a vision, a real single vision, share it with the company (the entire company), and go execute it. Or continue to lose all the company's hard earned accounts and probably get fired. The choice is yours.

could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cool music in workplace, fun activities occasionally, good location, pleasant coworkers, mostly. Many folks eager to help you learn. Nobody micromanages you.

Cons

Almost no training - you are expected to learn everything on your own by reading poorly written documents and surfing around in the system. limited room for advancement. Horrid pay. Worse benefits, but I guess with a small company (?) that's to be expected. Was actually encouraged NOT to take PTO for the spaced-apart days I requested - "it'll roll over, you won't lose it".

struggling - lack of clear direction from management - poor communications at all levels

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some great creative employees who work hard in a really tough environment.

Cons

management communication, training at all levels, turnover , turnover , turnover , poor employee moral, seems to be grasping at straws- does not foster/value a sense of pride in work or company and is evident internally and with customers.

many areas of poor leadership- no clear and consistent path to company growth /success - management needs to look beyond the "old" methods of management and company structure and find the leadership and new ideas that will once again make the company a leader in the industry.

Exploitation of Entry Level Professionals

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

Young employee demographic, casual dress code

Cons

All departments are heavily overworked, and extremely underpaid
    No employee recognition or appreciation from management
    Inexperienced lower level management is a large portion of the disconnect of the company
    Negative atmosphere as employees are very disgruntled, and the morale is very low
    Upper management scams the lower level employees on pay
    No room for growth
    They try to compensate the low pay for a sense of community and a hip vibe in the offices, but it doesn't work
    Company culture is very clique-ish, and the office has a lot of trouble with gossip, and HR issues

Appreciate your employees, listen to and value their input, give raises

Operational Disaster - Constant Employee Turnover - No Direction - Poor Management

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have almost doubled the size of the sales staff in the past year and actual sales are up year over year. But they have not added to the staff that is supposed to support all of the additional sales. They cant keep the people that they have so they are constantly hiring replacement positions instead of new ones. High turnover is a pro for those people out of work I guess.

Cons

Very weak management and no direction. Constant fire drills without accountability. Sales sells whatever they want but operations cannot get it done. Unfortunately, operations has so many problems running just basic jobs they trip, stumble and fall all over the more challenging jobs. It is a nightmare. The new operating system has been running for half a year now and we still cant keep up with all of the data entry - which means we are not processing orders or billing. Way behind. When it is finally billed, it is incorrect and the customers are pissed. So many cancelling everyday - no wonder they hired so many more sales people. The operations management team are unwilling or incapable of trying anything new. THAT'S THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT SO IT IS THE BEST WAY! Not.

Give the company a chance to keep their doors open and hire people that are actually capable of building a strong operational team. Clean house. It is not working. You definitely need to improve morale. Benefits suck.

Hire people who care

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better than average vacation time.
    Casual work environment

Cons

Many of the new employees are young and think of this job as just a paycheck.
    High turnover in some departments.
    Some employees are roadblocks to getting resolution to issues.
    Within some departments being unresponsive and uncommunicative is acceptable.
    No one on my team has received a raise in 5+ years.

Questions to ask yourself: If you were a customer, would you want to sign a contract, and not have any idea of when it would be installed? Would you want to place a service call and not get a follow up call about when it would be taken care of, or resolved? Would you want to wait months for billing adjustments because our system messed up your invoices? Would you want to get robo calls from collections threatening to cut off your service, while you were waiting for your billing to be straightened out? We need to focus on excellence. Every employee needs to have a bias for action and want to help customers be taken care of instead of a culture of "it's not my job."

I long for the days of Muzak...

Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun products to sell that make a huge difference in our clients' experience for their customer, a sexy sell. Lots of freedom, make your own schedule, have time with your family, and can be lucrative if you find the right niche market. As a sales rep, I made close to 200k one year, and the last several years, 100k plus. You get to deal with lots of different industries and make wonderful connections in the business community.

Cons

Compensation plan is a draw versus commission, or for many, straight commission. This is a dinosaur model that doesn't attract good talent. Turnover of new reps is off the charts. You see virtually no light at end of tunnel for repeat business, or no residual revenue for reps who retain clients. You have to start over each month in search of new business. The very worst part of working here, is this company is not paying commissions correctly at all for last five months, and many times reps get nothing on sales they have made. You have to beg, threaten, send a million emails to anyone who is willing to take up your cause. (One internal payroll person at Mood told me that my check was 3x hers and why am I complaining for my missing commissions?). The account executives rarely have meetings, get no on going training, and are extremely apprehensive to speak up, so many are leaving. The marketplace landscape has changed dramatically and now music is often viewed as a commodity for many businesses, so a really tough sell. Also, sales reps are competing internally, within Mood Media, against Pandora.

Get your commissions issues fixed now and quit making excuses for why you are not paying your sales reps. We deserve better and have stuck though thick and thin, with a bankruptcy in 2009, roller coaster swings in leadership, poor internal systems that leave customers without good service, and a new brand. We also have migrated to a feckless enterprise system which translates to our W-2's reflecting much, much less than what we should be compensated for in 2014.

Rock Bottom? Work here and you will be.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a music and video company. I should have gone with my gut at the interview. The person interviewing me was not a happy person and did not even make an effort to sell me on the company. I thought the interviewer was just having a really bad day so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and accepted the job offer. But that sourpuss attitude is pretty commonplace at Mood Media.

Cons

The only thing less than the amount of direction given is the overall level of morale. It is the most depressing place I have ever worked at. Management is non-existent. No direction. No enthusiasm. No idea. Mid-managers try to keep their teams engaged, but the executives are known to hi-light mistakes and ignore any accomplishments. Never heard a 'thank-you' from anyone in senior management. The only thing we hear is that we are in trouble for this or for that and someone is going to lose their job over it. Maybe try training us? Maybe get Oracle to work? Maybe get some people that actually know how to use Oracle? If I have to take one more phone call from an angry customer or a sales rep who feels that I am personally responsible for the operational nightmare called Mood Media, I quit. Whoops, there's the phone. I guess I am quitting.

You certainly don't pay me enough to make me feel like I can't do anything right. If you want to use me as your punching bag, pay me more and punch away.

They wonder why we are all leaving...

I have been working at Mood Media

Pros

What's not to love about selling music. Everyone has an emotional connection with it.

Cons

Times they are a changing. Management has their heads buried. They do not pay us correctly and there is currently a mass exodus of top 10 sales reps and they can't understand "WHY". It's simple really we arent happy anymore. The product has gone down hill and u are operating 2 companies as 1 yet have duplicate reps still and say you can't figure out how to pay us since oracle conversion.

Wake up and get out of your offices you talk about "pain" well we feel it. When we have to apologize 20 times a day to clients and potential clients. Doesn't give a commission only sales rep mich time to make any sales or money when we are left to clean up messes that you ignore.

Mood Media Photos