Mood Media Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
1.6

Steve Richards

Pros
  • ample time off, casual dress code, offices for some (in 5 reviews)

• 4 weeks PTO, along with about 5 federal holidays, so altogether, a little over a month paid time off (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one really knows why they are doing what they do or at least (in 13 reviews)

• You really have to wonder how this senior management team got hired (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I long for the days of Muzak...

Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun products to sell that make a huge difference in our clients' experience for their customer, a sexy sell. Lots of freedom, make your own schedule, have time with your family, and can be lucrative if you find the right niche market. As a sales rep, I made close to 200k one year, and the last several years, 100k plus. You get to deal with lots of different industries and make wonderful connections in the business community.

Cons

Compensation plan is a draw versus commission, or for many, straight commission. This is a dinosaur model that doesn't attract good talent. Turnover of new reps is off the charts. You see virtually no light at end of tunnel for repeat business, or no residual revenue for reps who retain clients. You have to start over each month in search of new business. The very worst part of working here, is this company is not paying commissions correctly at all for last five months, and many times reps get nothing on sales they have made. You have to beg, threaten, send a million emails to anyone who is willing to take up your cause. (One internal payroll person at Mood told me that my check was 3x hers and why am I complaining for my missing commissions?). The account executives rarely have meetings, get no on going training, and are extremely apprehensive to speak up, so many are leaving. The marketplace landscape has changed dramatically and now music is often viewed as a commodity for many businesses, so a really tough sell. Also, sales reps are competing internally, within Mood Media, against Pandora.

Get your commissions issues fixed now and quit making excuses for why you are not paying your sales reps. We deserve better and have stuck though thick and thin, with a bankruptcy in 2009, roller coaster swings in leadership, poor internal systems that leave customers without good service, and a new brand. We also have migrated to a feckless enterprise system which translates to our W-2's reflecting much, much less than what we should be compensated for in 2014.

Lots of work, but also lots of opportunity.

Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+Location, both south & downtown
    +Casual Environment: you're allowed to speak your mind, encouraged to give new ideas and question established process, they don't care what you wear to work, (the rule is "don't offend) and they don't blow a gasket if you're 5 minutes late
    +Great social environment; everyone that works here is friends with one another
    +Benefits are great & affordable
    +Always looking inward for promotion first
    +Management: Every manager I've had has been wonderfully supportive and understanding, and very good at giving solid direction.

Cons

-Training: this isn't because it's not provided, but because we have a large array of products and services, and because we still have so may problems that we inherited from Muzak. It's too much for one person to learn all at once; so much of this is "learn as you go," and that's not for everyone.

-Work/Life balance: if you want to be successful here, forget about having a life outside your job.

-Gossip: We never have any idea what Management is doing until it's already done, and that causes there to be a large amount of gross gossip going around at any point in time.

-Pay: You are going to do more work than you ever imagined in your life and you will not be adequately paid for it. (I do not think that management is immune to this either, however)

-Incompetence: They have been in such a hurry to fill positions and attempt to handle the amount of work being thrown at us, that they are not being smart in who they hire. This leads to a vast swath of the company's employees being unbelievably incompetent and frustrating.

-Muzak: This company was so mismanaged from an operations stand point that we will be dealing with the fall out for years to come.

Stop hiring from temp agencies! Create a training department for your entire company - you need it. Pay your good employees what they're worth, and get rid of the incompetent ones who aren't. Celebrate more as a company; every time you bring us together, it improves moral by leaps and bounds. Stop looking to Muzak for guidance; it was a failed concept operationally, but don't ignore the history. We could learn a lot from their mistakes.

Could be the best job. but too many uninformed execs.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Mood Media full-time

Pros

The young group of people with fresh ideas. Company has a great influence on the industry.

Cons

The pay is unfair. 10 hour days are a must for the daily workload. Poor management level of understanding daily tasks.

Please understand that competitive compensation will land you long term employees.

Priorities out of order

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ample time off, casual dress code, offices for some

Cons

lack of trust and transparency, not willing to understand the entire process or appreciate departments that matter most to the business

really needs to notice the hard work and loyalty of all of your employees, not just sales and account managers. the creative team is often only noticed when they are looking for a scapegoat.this is not an innovate, exciting or creative place to be if you work in music, which is supposed to be the biggest component of the company and the reason for its initial success. letting this part of the business wither will only lead to ruin.

Rebounding

I have been working at Mood Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Seem to be headed in the correct direction.

Cons

Low salary and job security

Pay what folks are worth!

No structure, direction, or decent training.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay semi-decently, you get holidays and weekends off.

Cons

My training was literally being told to watch another employee do the job for one week. I have had continuous problems working in this company due to a problem in their systems. The affiliate I work for is using DSI and Mood uses Oracle. Our systems don't match, it causes errors which fall on the employees.

The management at this location are all good friends and if one person decides they don't like you they all make an effort to get you out the door.

Lack of training on all employees leads to more mistakes, multiple work orders, problems in the system, and problems with dispatching.

Work on training employees for real. People can figure out the basics of the job by watching, but to understand the finer points of the job hands on training is required.

Operational Disaster. Back-Stabbing. Self-Preservation At Any Cost Is a Skill Learned Here

Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ethics of the exec team prep you for a chance to win on Survivor.
    The abilities of the operations team provide more entertainment and in-fighting than Jerry Springer.
    They are considering working in the art of back-stabbing into new training classes.
    The obscene amount of red tape that is spun each day seems to get recycled.
    Administration has found the quickest way to get the work done - hide it.
    The total leadership abilities of the top-tier of management easily fits into a 1 quart ziplock bag for easy transport.

Cons

So much employee turnover that it is impossible to get anything done. Employees are treated like cattle, probably because we are in Texas. The execs are similar to a bunch of cats chasing a laser beam. Money flies out the windows everyday. There are no controls in operations. Operations management attempts to manage remotely. If only they would take one months travel budget and apply it to the raises we have not gotten since Bush was president, we would all be happy.
    If someone says that the sky is now yellow, the rest of them just agree because those that disagree are the ones that disappear. "We can't do that" or "we should just switch it back to the way it was in Ft Mill" are sayings that are heard daily. This company has no clue how to move into the 21st century. New ideas that actually make it through the 500 levels of approval always die out because no one has the guts try something new long enough to see if it will actually work so they just change it back. No one is capable of making a decision in less than a month, but by then a bigger issue takes precedent. No wonder so many customers are cancelling and so many employees resign on a regular basis.

You get paid 100 times more than me, so I really have no advice to give you. You should be smart enough to realize that it is not working the way you are doing it or with the people you have in the decision making seats. Clean house and bring in some people from Google or Amazon that know how to keep their employees motivated and their businesses growing. You will have my resignation soon.

Very long days that felt like they would never end

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Mood Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like anywhere, there are some good people that I enjoyed working with. But in the past year, most of them were either fired or left in search of a new company that did not make employees feel like your calls and emails were all being monitored. And I was a manager there so I should not have become so paranoid, but the culture at Mood Media breeds paranoia.

Cons

Finger pointing and blame. Its what the exec team focuses most of their energy on when dealing with the 'little people' of the company. Seriously, so much time is wasted figuring out who to blame for each mess up (there are a lot these days). The first 45 minutes of a meeting is spent on figuring out who to blame, then 10 minutes are spent checking our emails while pretending to listen to what is being said and then the last 5 minutes are spent assigning the punishment. And that is a productive meeting these days.

It is not a healthy environment. You should not dread going to work. But management, mostly at the top level, does not grasp how to motivate people. Maybe they are just over their heads and don't know how to turn anything around.

Revolving door of employees. Each month I would guess that 30-40 new employees come in to take the place of those that left, based on the size the training classes in each department. Guessing there are around 400 people working in Austin. That is embarrassing. But easy to get a job.

You are on the road to bankruptcy, so keep doing what you are doing and you will accomplish at least one thing.

Fire Me, Please! Continues To Get Worse Every Day - After Two Years of Chaos

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It WAS a great company pre-merger. I still have some loyalty so I do not want to quit. So please put me out to pasture already. It's no longer worth the knot in my stomach when I go to work.
    Some people that are there are still committed. Yes, there are cheap candy bars and sodas in the vending machines. There is a casual dress code. Those last two things help to hide the stress levels and less-than-zero morale.
    Another pro is that there are so many other companies in Austin that are looking for good people like me.

Cons

I am a manager and have been for several years here. I had hope with each change in management that someone would finally dig in and try to make some core changes. But they keep bringing the same people back that drove Muzak (now merged with DMX to create Mood) into bankruptcy twice. Top management does not mix with the rest of the company. They do their own thing which is rarely communicated to the rest of us. They want to know why month after month after month our performance deteriorates. Top sales people are resigning. The good support people all seem to be finding new jobs elsewhere. Not a good sign.
    There is much to be said about BEATING A DEAD HORSE! We are tired, unappreciated, underpaid for what we are asked to do, disenchanted and work in a haze of confusion and chaos. No raises since I could remember. And there are meetings all day long. So many that you have to stay late to get your regular work done. The meetings are unproductive and take too much time discussing how things used to be, mostly at Muzak, instead of coming up with solutions. Oh, and if you like finger pointing - look no further. And this is from people I have worked with for some time. These people are now defensive and territorial and miserable.

Did I mention that we are operating our HQ out of four different buildings???? - three around Austin and one in Ft Mill, SC. How is that for efficient??? Seriously, is there no office space in Austin big enough to hold 500 people?

Figure out what the plan is and tell us. Are you trying to sell us again? Are you relocating HQ back to Ft Mill? Are you pushing us into bankruptcy? Just tell us and maybe we could help you accomplish something. Anything.

I'd rather go to Hell than have to walk up to the doors of this place every day for another year

Current Employee - Client Satisfaction Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Satisfaction Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Cheap Vending Machines
    - SOME people are easy to get along with
    - They have a bathroom
    - They pay me (Poorly at that)
    - I get to leave every day

Cons

This is probably the easiest thing I've gotten to describe all day.

Let me start with the training. It's an absolutely sorry excuse for any kind of "training". You're put in a room for 8.5 hours with a supervisor that sounds less than thrilled to be alive and you have to listen to them talk and talk and talk. The information they are trying to cram into your head is far too much for the short amount of time they actually spend putting forth an effort to teach you anything. When they don't feel like actually trying to teach you anything, they stick you with one of the more tenured reps, regardless if you've learned anything they are trying to show you to do. Skip ahead after all of this lecturing and expecting you to understand it all, they throw you out there on the floor. More recently, our call queues have been RIDICULOUS, so they are trying to pump more and more people out of training classes to help take calls. There is one huge issue here; They choose quantity over quality, did I mention we ran out of cubicles? So now we're stuck unable to train people because they ran out of space and had to fill the training rooms with temporary desks and Jerry-Rigged Computer setups. You can't expect to train people poorly and then throw them to the sharks and see any kind of an improvement in your wait times. You've got people ill-informed or with not enough training to understand what's going on, so they are then in term putting the clients on hold longer, thus creating longer and longer wait times, it's a mess. When they go up to the sups to ask any questions, they seem to really not care. They poorly answer your questions while continuing to type and scroll through emails, hardly batting an eye at you. It's pathetic and useless.

Let's look at what I deal with on a daily basis...

I am constantly working to resolve issues for clients, through and through. But I have a job and a department that I am supposed to work within the perimeters of. I am Client Satisfaction. But i end up doing SO many things that are not in my job description. I do plenty of billing issues which we should have specific people for, but for some reason they want the Client Satisfaction Reps to look into it when we had no official training on it to begin with. Not to mention that they work you 6 days in a row with no guarantee for OT. They'll work you on a Sunday and then the following week for Mon-Fri, since it crosses over to the next week, it won't count for OT, so there's that. Oh, the inconsistent schedules are a doozy. You could be working from 7:30-5 for about a month straight then randomly you're working 8:15-5:45 one week and the following 10:30-8, you never know.

Pre-merging between DMX and Muzak, things were.... Manageable to say the least. They had separate reps for all the queues (DMX and Muzak were separated and they had people trained specifically for both). But some GENIUS thought it'd be a great idea to cross-train everyone (Train DMX reps on Muzak equipment and control sites and Muzak reps on DMX equipment), thinking that if you have more people in both queues, everything would be all fine and dandy, but the result was disastrous... This created more traffic jams and issues rather than remedies. They tried cramming what takes about 3 weeks of training into 1 horrible, stupid, and less than informative week of Hell. We learned close to nothing about the other systems and equipment, and I still know about zip on them.

Start actually at least ACTING like you really care about your employees. Listen to their opinions and outlooks, they are the ones on the front line while you get paid your salary and hide in your office all day. People, especially your employees, would hold a higher respect for you if you just maybe took into consideration they are dealing with things OTHER than slaving away for a sorry excuse for a paycheck at 9.5 hour days 5 days a week. People want to enjoy coming to work, based off of all the reviews I'm reading on here, no one wants anything do do with this company other than the paycheck. Those shouldn't be the standards we all have to deal with. I hope you take some of these things into consideration and use it as an opportunity to make you're work environment and organization into something that someone will look at and think "Hmmm, that's really well structured!" because I can tell you from what I hear from the customers on the phones, we should be looking up to our competitors. Also, give a little recognition to ALL of us rather than sending us less than encouraging "Coaching Emails" expecting us to actually learn from it, all it does is tick us off and make us want to punch the screen. Take some time to say "Hey, nice work today!" or "You're doing great, keep it up!" to us individuals and give us a little confidence boost. Sending out emails telling us to "Get in the queue!", "Put All Else Aside and Take Calls!!" or "NO Worktime! Take Calls!!" puts a whole load of stress we don't need added to our day.

Mood Media Photos