Moody Bible Institute

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Paul Nyquist

Great place and healthy people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery healthy environment to work. No politics. When you work there, you do not need to worry about who is for or against you. Everyone seems focused on fulfilling their duty well. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and I respected my supervisor. I learned a lot and the team work was helpful.

ConsFinances are low. But that's understandable. The place does not make bank. Not enough perks, nonetheless. Still, I worked there for four years and I can say that those were not wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it is okay to push your reports to do better.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat organization overall. Truly mission driven.

ConsToo focused on Chicago and easily forgets other stakeholders outside of the Chicago area.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your stakeholders outside of the Chicago area. Trust the people you have put in place. Moody is a great organization and having a lot of impact globally, but many stakeholders can easily get frustrated with the lack of flexibility.

Great Organization

Social Media Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLove the values of Moody and all-in-all they are a great organization to work for and be a part of.

ConsCommunication horrendous between apartments. Most people tend to be people pleasers and as a result stuff will often go unsaid or there things will go said behind your back.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsLike-minded colleagues and goal of organization
    Good benefits
    Great location for Chicago
    Plenty of autonomy in job role

ConsCommuting
    Sometimes work environment can be slow-paced

Advice to Senior ManagementLike another reviewer said, professional development could be improved. People enjoy learning new things!

Could be better...

Chicago, IL

Prosgreat location, friendly co-workers and staff. Its great to work with people who have a worldview based on ministry and the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Consopportunities for advancement are very hard to come by. I've applied to several full time positions and it seems preference is always given to new applicants, not employees who have been working there for several years. Human Resources department is extremely slow in processing applications and correspondence about application process. Very frustrating to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at grooming and valuing current employees.

Forward Focused Education & Media Non-Profit

ProsMinistry - Serving the Lord
    Working In Fun Industries (Higher Ed, Publishing, Radio)
    Downtown Chicago - Can be a pro or con. I liked it because there were great restaurants around.

ConsMinistry/Non-Profit Pay - I thought it was good but good for ministry/non-profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Project Planning and Management
    Continue to Grow Focus On Professional Development

Overall Good Experience

ProsThis is a good place to gain experience in a new field. There is much opportunity to move around to different departments.

ConsVery archaic thinking and practices exists here. The president and executive level management are motivated and innovative. Often times, middle management has been working in their positions too long and are not open to change.

Fairly enjoyed it.

Chicago, IL

ProsThe atmosphere among workers is very much like a family in most departments. Most employees seem to truly enjoy working here and that comes threw in their attitudes and actions at work.

ConsSome of the systems in place are constantly changing. Normally change is good, but it seems that often at Moody, the management changes systems that do not need change swapping out a perfectly good system for a system that does not work well. This can be frustrating as one sees the things that do need to be changed, untouched while the things that work are swapped out for those that have problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it feels as if the student workers are a bit under appreciated or recognized. It is a becoming more and more work each year to be able to work to pay for school, go to classes, and do the other things that are required of students at Moody, thus it would be nice for some departments to keep that in mind.

A great work environment

Telecom (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosgreat full time staff, fair wages, flexible hours

Conssometimes unproductive, projects can take a LONG time to complete

Very conservative company

Pros1) Open displays of [Christian] faith are accepted and encouraged
    2) Some of the students have wonderful work ethics and are very talented
    3) Some very wonderful people work here

Cons1) Some men in the organization struggle with female leaders and authority figures - expect resistance if your are a woman that is more knowledgeable than your male counterparts
    2) Some of the students feel entitled to privileges without doing any work or have an overall poor work ethic - you should screen potential student employees to avoid problems later

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are so many smart and knowledgeable women in your organization that are being underutilized. Don't waste the talent that they can provide your organization.

Worked for Moody Bible Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Moody Bible Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Moody Bible Institute CEO Dr. Paul Nyquist. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Moody Bible Institute employees.