Moore & Scarry Advertising

2.9

Paul Caldwell and Tom Kerr

Lots of Opportunity and Fun, With Some Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have had many jobs in quite a few industries, and this is one of, if not my favorite job in the last ten years. One of the things I like most about working at MSA is how attentive managers are, and the camaraderie that happens. We tend to have a really good time working together, and the culture is really open, inviting and equalizing.

Aside from the owner, you don't get a heavy sense of top-down dictation. Employee feedback is welcomed, and an average day includes lots of challenging work that is pretty rewarding. Even the owner is usually approachable though, and he gives gifts to the staff including pizza lunches, gift cards for the employee of the month, and occasional beer on Fridays.

Beer friday is a fun experience weekly, and we all share a few drinks while finishing out the day.

The work load is usually pretty stacked, but there is a decent amount of collaboration and teamwork. Everyone respects everyone, and the workplace is pretty diverse, open-minded and relaxed. The dress code is casual, and the company provides a few parties a year. These aren't just a few balloons in the office, I mean, parties. This year's fantasy football draft party happened at a local bar, we had a half-day of work, and spent the afternoon hanging out, enjoying great food and football talk.

I like that this company works hard and plays harder.

Professionally, I feel there is lots of room for growth, and there's no glass ceiling. The general manager is a woman, and that's cool, given that the automotive industry tends to be very male dominated. I've learned a lot working here, and I have never felt uncomfortable, out of place or disrespected. I have a few unique medical challenges that the company has accommodated for, and I have never felt judged because of my condition.

My manager and supervisor are respectful, engaged and provide feedback when asked. I never fear for my job security, because my supervisors are very clear about their expectations, and provide room for growth. The challenges they provide me have encouraged me to grow, adapt and improve myself and my work. I feel like my contributions are valued, welcomed, and make a difference in the way we work, and what we do. It's a great feeling to know you're listened to. The company feels really exploratory and open to change. Since I've worked here, they have launched two new products, and revised approaches to several other products.

The company continues to grow at a pretty staggering pace, and it's exciting to see all the changes that are going on, even in the time I've worked here. This company has provided me with great opportunities and a sizable list of work challenges I've enjoyed overcoming. One of the best things is that hard work does not go unnoticed, and the company rewards those who do a little extra, push a little harder and make things happen.

Cons

Everything I said above makes working at MSA awesome, but it's not without its challenges.

My initial training was mostly hands-off, and while that provided lots of room to grow, it made my first few months at the company difficult. I feel with maybe a three days to week's worth of hands on training, I would have succeeded a lot earlier in my time at MSA.

The work load is often heavy for most departments, and can feel overwhelming sometimes. There have been nights where we have worked very late, (past 10PM). Last year, having breakfast, lunch and dinner at the office was not unheard of, and happened rather frequently in November of 2013. There is a lot of last-minute work that comes in, and that can get stressful at times. But, the company occasionally buys lunch on the really busy days, and always buys dinner on late nights, and managers stay to help with the workload instead of taking off.

This company also has some challenges with infrastructure. An outdated server produces lots of problems, but I assume that the owner would rather create more jobs than overhead, so, I can understand the hesitation to spend on things like that. I notice that they tend to hire more than they spend on other things, so it's good to see that, even if it presents its own challenges.

Other growing pains include departmental collaboration, with each section of the process being siloed off with some interaction, but not nearly enough. There's little company-wide brainstorming, and breakout sessions that collect ideas from multiple employees are pretty rare. I wish we had a few more meetings, but on the other hand, it's nice to know you're not wasting time in mandatory meetings that go nowhere.

Because of the rate of growth, the company sometimes feels understaffed, and long work days can become frequent. There is a high turnover rate, especially in the account team, and sometimes it feels as though there is not enough communication or planning.

This is a company that's moving fast, and as a former business owner I know that growth this fast can present a steady stream of challenges, but I feel the management is responding adequately, and collecting feedback along the way. Even if it's not always perfect, they've made strides this last year and I am proud of where I work.

I've heard about the old management style, and see none of the berating or belittling that was apparently common once upon a time. Tom is fair, respectful and transparent, with clear expectations and guidelines, and a charismatic, inviting personality. All in all, the cons are few, the perks are strong, and the culture is awesome.

It would be really great to have idea meetings a little more frequently, even quarterly, so we could spin off some side-projects that might be worth exploring.

It would be nice to have more inter-departmental collaboration, and dedicate time to breakout projects (maybe a few hours per month) that a few employees could tackle together, like they do at Google and other companies to generate new ideas.

its a job

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

the other AC's are pretty awesome

Cons

Management is lacking in the place

Moore & Scarry Advertising Response

Dec 11, 2014General Manager / HR

Moore & Scarry Advertising understands there is a need for management. This is something we are constantly striving to improve. There is a fine line that we like to maintain between autonomy when ... More

Sr. Graphic Designer

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bonita Springs, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked with many different organizations, like the government, radio stations, and broadcasting stations...I can honestly say that I have worked with the best and the worst.....and at the moment, I am very content with my job. I can assure, you will get what you put in. Our clients have high standards, as do I, with everything I do! I've worked long nights, without a doubt that I will get paid the hours worked...and upper management does notice hard work....within the first couple of months I received employee of the month and then soon enough I was promoted to Sr. Graphic designer, leading a team of 7 to 8 designers. As I said before, hard work does not go unnoticed..and maybe we complain because we all have different standards of what hard work really is..To me, it means giving a 110% to what is in front of you...

Besides the companies work ethic and standards I like the work environment...you can play music, dress however you like, within reason and our directors are super chill...(unless they are under pressure from upper management or a client, then like in any other job everything gets a little hectic...but manageable).

MSA is always celebrating their employees, they are always seeking new ways for their employees to have fun! We have annual events and competitions.

Cons

Our training when I first started was not where it should have been...I feel like I've contributed to some of the organization and standards of our team. Of course Ed (Creative Director), Dave (Art Director), and Jason (Assisstant Art Director) they've all contributed to our organization but as our team was growing..their responsibilities were too! I think that we are getting to a better place.

When I was hired I was happy with my pay but as year has gone by and my responsibility has grown I feel like I am 110% dedicated to my job and I feel like I have worked my way to a higher income, but that comes with time...so no complaints until my 1 yr review lol

Keep us in the loop with upcoming projects!

Very Happy With The Changes!

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an employee who has been here for the previous management and current management, I cannot be happier with the changes within the company. Employees are staying and morale is way up.

-While still carrying some of the stereotypes of an advertising agency, the environment is very laid back.

-The company does an excellent job at hiring people. It's not cutthroat like some other agencies I've worked at. If you have a question, you can count on someone being able to help you out.

-The managers present themselves in a way that if you have a question or concern, they're available and willing to listen....which is cool. It's reassuring that the company values its employees.

-I've never had an issue getting time off. And when you're off, you're off. No on-call BS.

-Regular company events like basketball, softball, paintball, even paper airplane tournaments. The office manager also sets up opportunities to give back to the community. It feels great being associated with a company with that reputation.

Cons

I'm actually very happy at this company and I enjoy coming to work. The only issues I have is it's still an ad agency and long hours go hand-in-hand.

However, the company is aware of this and they do compensate for the overtime and occasionally throw a day off or let people leave early, which is appreciated.

Communication still needs work. You may be required to stay late or come in on a weekend to finish a project and when sending for approvals you could find yourself waiting 45 minutes to an hour for a response. Maybe even longer. If it's important enough that you're doing the overtime, those requiring you to stay should be on top of it.

Encourage receipt of emails of all departments.

The changes have been great and are getting exponentially better, keep listening to employees and don't stop what you're doing. It's awesome.

Fast and Furious but Fun, but know what you're getting into

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people at MSA are,by far, the best thing about the place. I instantly felt part of a family when I started. The humor around the office is very sarcastic and fast and witty. I felt right at home. Dave, the current Art Director is a saucy Brit hailing from the other side of the pond. Not only is he a genuinely good dude, but hes a great designer which, if you've ever worked for a design team where your boss knew less than you, then you know how important this is. He acknowledged my strengths and could count on me. I felt like part of a real design team. Hard work and a good attitude will take you far. The scenery is another great thing. At the risk of sounding rather misogynistic, there are some really pretty girls that work there on the account services side, and it cant hurt to canoodle with really cute, fun girls at a design job. There are alot of fun employee events that MSA has. The owner, Tom, while outspoken, cares about his employees and likes to have fun. He goes to great expense to make sure we had fun because alot of the employees have become his personal friends from working there. We had a company softball game, paintball tournament, New Years party, and Christmas party, and when I left they were planning a paper airplane tournament. We also went on great lunches everyday...they dont cover them, dont be greedy!... but we really created a sense of team with each lunch the design team ate together, and it was a chance to be more casual with each other and gossip. I was also able to cross pollinate my talents a little bit. If you have multiple media talents like Camera experience or audio experience, you may be able to go on shoots in other cities to collect footage for commercials.

Cons

The advertising world is a fast-paced, unforgiving, and cut-throat business and if you're not used to it, you might be surprised. Now add to that the automotive industry and it gets crazier. Know that if you join MSA you will work long hours. They consider overtime a privilege, and expect you to stay late every night. Although I did have a 45 minute commute both ways, I would leave my house at 8AM and get home at 8PM most nights. You come in at 9am and work till atleast 7 most nights. This depends on season, but you rarely get out at the normal day-end of 6pm. It will be hard to freelance and work the full time job if thats what you want to do.... "YIPPEY! OVERTIME!!!", you say?....it would be great if they didnt pay you $16 dollars an hour. with all the overtime I was working, I was still pulling in only about $2200 a month. This doesn't seem too bad, but after rent, student loans and everything else, this after being a proffesional designer for over 10 years. There wasn't much to do anything with, not to mention no time to do it. There were even rumors that people who were hired after me, and were not as good of designers as I were making more money...Now I have NO way to confirm this, but the rumors were enough to put a bad taste in my mouth.

9 months of happiness

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What i can say about MSA - Thank you guys. People are great there. The Real masters of the mouse). Believe me professional level of these guys - amazing. Right now I am in NYC and i declined couple agencies just because level those companies soooooo low.
    The atmosphere inside facility is great always. You can hear laugh a lot. Luv this company and defiantly some day i back to sunny Florida.

Oh i Forgot to say about Good Benefits package.;-)

Cons

This is not a cons but i would like to recommend this company especially young people who just right away from the college because in the big company you can understand what does it mean stress and how you can control it. "Crazy" clients, last minute changes, long day and Different people with different mood all those thing it is part of BIG job.

I am agree with "buddy" - Re-evaluate your pay scale and maybe give more money to the people with more experience. Give raises on 3 month review instead of after a year. More constructive criticism about work with more direction. More incentive for the long hours. This why i left MSA.... And i told i was happy to be a part of MSA.

Account Executive

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

Clients are easy to work with

Cons

Management, pay, co workers, general manager, culture

Fun, Fast Paced Opportunity

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising (more than 3 years)

Pros

High paced company that will keep you busy as the day flies by. The people that work here are great and the atmosphere is more laid back than most companies which helps during stressful days. People are willing to help out and the upper management has the experience and know how to answer any questions or give insight. You are rewarded generously for hard work and it is recognized by management which sometimes was not the case previously. If you put in the time trust me it will pay off.

Cons

Previously there was high turnover most likely caused by management hiring kids right out of college who weren't ready or looking for a high paced job or the demanding work. This is a strictly automotive advertising company so if you are not ready to work with high demanding clients that need everything now you need not apply. I will say this is not a job for someone not willing to put in the time, effort or sometimes long hours it takes to pay off in the long run as you move up in the company.

Management has made great strides to increase morale and employee retention. Continue hiring strong willed employees not afraid to work hard.

Fast paced but well worth the chaos

Current Employee - Account Service in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Account Service in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was recently sold to two hard working employees and the atmosphere is changing more and more every day. I enjoy coming to work due to the people, atmosphere, team camaraderie, and the opportunities. If you work hard you are rewarded & recognized. The company morale is increasing every week.

Cons

There have been some growing pains in the past but it seems as if upper management is planning ahead and getting staffing right to account for the future. Tier 3 automotive is a hard business to be in, it is fast paced and crazy. But through all the crazy times, MSA does make an effort to reward employees with a day off, a day of fun, lunch, or gift cards.

Keep rewarding and recognizing the employees.

Driven to Move You

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Better than Average Benefits
    Relaxed Work Environment
    Challenging Pace
    Strong and Visionary Leadership
    A healthy approach towards growth

This company has lots going for it, and is in high gear for growth, there are some growing pains, but it's getting better and better. For the area, industry and market, it's a leader, and it's a great place to work.

Cons

Lots of Hustle- Easy to get lost in the day to day.
    Automotive has a steep learning curve for new-hires.
    A steep workload can lead to long hours sometimes.
    It could use some more mood lighting, and perhaps a lounge, or patio furniture.

A little more training on Automotive culture/guidelines/compliance would be really beneficial.

Moore & Scarry Advertising Photos