Moore & Scarry Advertising Reviews

39 reviews filtered by
Paul Caldwell and Tom Kerr

1. Administrative

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, everyone works together

Cons

More parking would be beneficial

Great faced paced place to work--- hard work pays off and is rewarded!

Current Employee - Media Director in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Media Director in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and hardworking employee minded leadership, hard work is often rewarded with promotions and pay increases, awesome place for both younger and veteran people to learn and grow for cutting edge ideals in nearly every department . Causal dress, new ideas always welcome, opportunity to pave your own way if you want to, easy to transition to other roles or change office locations as it is welcomed.

Cons

Like every advertising agency on the planet (and I have worked at the biggest in the Globe in the past) there are bust seasons where you have to step up and work until the work is done. At MSA it is noticed, appreciated and rewarded. I have personally brought over 2 former coworkers to work here at MSA because I think it is a good place to be even when things are busy.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive flow going. We have a great team right now in every area. Let's keep this up and keep growing.

3. Just don't...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

Some of the best peers I have worked with.

Cons

Don't work here unless you are fresh out of college and are in desperate need of a job because your local Burger King isn't hiring, seriously.

Minimal pay, AC(30k) Designer(35k if your lucky)

Overworked (55+ hrs / wk MINIMUM) more than anywhere I have ever seen, but they do give OT if it's approved which is hardly ever.

"Promotions" are a joke

Owners lack any sense of value in their employees

Benefits are terrible

Everything else...

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who might actually care about the company and it's work force.

Stop basing your Colorado employees pay on what people in nowhere FL make. Account for the difference in living standards between the two places.

Actually give your employees decent health benefits.

STAFF your company so you aren't working everyone to death and then telling them that they must not be trained well enough if they are so busy.

The Defination of Hubrius

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Moore and Scarry (MS) provides a relaxed enviroment that is designed to allow one to "grow" into their position. They provide a fast-paced work enviroment, and if you want to advance within your postion, there is opportunity - limited, but available.

As a critique of the organization, a high level of work is asked of you, weekends lost, and your responsibilities outside of work suffer because of MS. This is continued below....

Cons

There is a party-enviroment where you have to be accepted into the "club", or you are not. Lack of professional communication amongst most members of the management team to members in accounts services, creative and media buying. Upon hiring, there was no introduction to members of the managemnt team, or structure of the organization - that has since changed; implimented as of spring 2014. Time is short with training on software, account history, term's, etc.

As a critique of the organization, a high level of work is asked of you, weekends lost, and your responsibilities outside of work suffer because of MS. The Fort Myers managment team headed by Kerr are clueless on what is happening when they make rushed decisions; and if Caldwell is to ever appear in the Fort Myers office, don't expect him to know what's going on - one hand clearly doesn't know what the other is doing. Human Resources does little to nothing when issues arise - and issues do arrise.

Per client management, creative is sub-par and recycled from prior campaigns; new idea's are lacking on presentation; people here talk at clients, not to them; and active listening is a term not experienced. Above all, there is a level of swagger that resonates poorly in the halls of the Ft. Myers office. These are not only some of the reason's why there has been a lack of new business and for that matter the lack of Tier 2 business with this organization, but the general mentality of the organization as a whole.

The organization is not proactive in really any aspect of the management of business. There is no media planning for any client. Creative run's late because of everything has to be "rushed" since the teams all "forget" what the client wanted - until it's last minute. And when asked to stay late, it's not an "ask", but the leadership telling you that staying late is now part of your job, because their emergency has become your problem. Essentially, managements emergency becomes your problem.

Advice to Management

The current principal owners need to realize that leadership means leading.... not leading everyone to the bar to drink, but leading a company of thinkers and innovators, movers and shakers. The next best thing here is not expanding into different area's of marketing, but building a team and facility that can grow into a Tier 2 marketing organization.

Fake Reviews Indication of Agency Reality

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

It's a paycheck that allows you to life in SWFL.

Cons

It's rather suspect when you have so many negative reviews and then IMMEDIATELY afterwards and within days apart a string of positive reviews. At this writing there are 36 reviews and this agency still doesn't even have a 3 star rating - do keep that in mind when reading these "wonderful" reviews. That's the unfortunate reality of this place. Duncan Scarry the owner of this agency is a rather volatile guy. I've been on the receiving end as well as witnessed out in the open he and other agency "management" completely go off the deep end. Screaming matches, name calling, insults, Tom screaming employees are "alcoholics" and the list continues. The reality is this is an ad agency that only does Tier 3 advertising (i.e., local car dealer advertising). And for the advertising world - that's the bottom of the barrel. No one knew what a creative brief was, how to write one, how to read one or the difference between strategy and execution. The reality is not one of senior management would ever be hired at a real ad agency that handles Pepsi, FedEx or Whirlpool.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking the time to write clearly fake Glassdoor reviews - take a long hard look in the mirror, accept your failings and fix them.

Moore & Scarry Advertising Response

Dec 30, 2014General Manager / HR

While we understand your previous frustrations, the agency underwent new ownership in June 2013. Since these changes, our employee retention rate is at the highest its ever been and we are ... More

7. its a job

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

the other AC's are pretty awesome

Cons

Management is lacking in the place

Moore & Scarry Advertising Response

Dec 11, 2014General Manager / HR

Moore & Scarry Advertising understands there is a need for management. This is something we are constantly striving to improve. There is a fine line that we like to maintain between autonomy when ... More

Lots of Opportunity and Fun, With Some Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have had many jobs in quite a few industries, and this is one of, if not my favorite job in the last ten years. One of the things I like most about working at MSA is how attentive managers are, and the camaraderie that happens. We tend to have a really good time working together, and the culture is really open, inviting and equalizing.

Aside from the owner, you don't get a heavy sense of top-down dictation. Employee feedback is welcomed, and an average day includes lots of challenging work that is pretty rewarding. Even the owner is usually approachable though, and he gives gifts to the staff including pizza lunches, gift cards for the employee of the month, and occasional beer on Fridays.

Beer friday is a fun experience weekly, and we all share a few drinks while finishing out the day.

The work load is usually pretty stacked, but there is a decent amount of collaboration and teamwork. Everyone respects everyone, and the workplace is pretty diverse, open-minded and relaxed. The dress code is casual, and the company provides a few parties a year. These aren't just a few balloons in the office, I mean, parties. This year's fantasy football draft party happened at a local bar, we had a half-day of work, and spent the afternoon hanging out, enjoying great food and football talk.

I like that this company works hard and plays harder.

Professionally, I feel there is lots of room for growth, and there's no glass ceiling. The general manager is a woman, and that's cool, given that the automotive industry tends to be very male dominated. I've learned a lot working here, and I have never felt uncomfortable, out of place or disrespected. I have a few unique medical challenges that the company has accommodated for, and I have never felt judged because of my condition.

My manager and supervisor are respectful, engaged and provide feedback when asked. I never fear for my job security, because my supervisors are very clear about their expectations, and provide room for growth. The challenges they provide me have encouraged me to grow, adapt and improve myself and my work. I feel like my contributions are valued, welcomed, and make a difference in the way we work, and what we do. It's a great feeling to know you're listened to. The company feels really exploratory and open to change. Since I've worked here, they have launched two new products, and revised approaches to several other products.

The company continues to grow at a pretty staggering pace, and it's exciting to see all the changes that are going on, even in the time I've worked here. This company has provided me with great opportunities and a sizable list of work challenges I've enjoyed overcoming. One of the best things is that hard work does not go unnoticed, and the company rewards those who do a little extra, push a little harder and make things happen.

Cons

Everything I said above makes working at MSA awesome, but it's not without its challenges.

My initial training was mostly hands-off, and while that provided lots of room to grow, it made my first few months at the company difficult. I feel with maybe a three days to week's worth of hands on training, I would have succeeded a lot earlier in my time at MSA.

The work load is often heavy for most departments, and can feel overwhelming sometimes. There have been nights where we have worked very late, (past 10PM). Last year, having breakfast, lunch and dinner at the office was not unheard of, and happened rather frequently in November of 2013. There is a lot of last-minute work that comes in, and that can get stressful at times. But, the company occasionally buys lunch on the really busy days, and always buys dinner on late nights, and managers stay to help with the workload instead of taking off.

This company also has some challenges with infrastructure. An outdated server produces lots of problems, but I assume that the owner would rather create more jobs than overhead, so, I can understand the hesitation to spend on things like that. I notice that they tend to hire more than they spend on other things, so it's good to see that, even if it presents its own challenges.

Other growing pains include departmental collaboration, with each section of the process being siloed off with some interaction, but not nearly enough. There's little company-wide brainstorming, and breakout sessions that collect ideas from multiple employees are pretty rare. I wish we had a few more meetings, but on the other hand, it's nice to know you're not wasting time in mandatory meetings that go nowhere.

Because of the rate of growth, the company sometimes feels understaffed, and long work days can become frequent. There is a high turnover rate, especially in the account team, and sometimes it feels as though there is not enough communication or planning.

This is a company that's moving fast, and as a former business owner I know that growth this fast can present a steady stream of challenges, but I feel the management is responding adequately, and collecting feedback along the way. Even if it's not always perfect, they've made strides this last year and I am proud of where I work.

I've heard about the old management style, and see none of the berating or belittling that was apparently common once upon a time. Tom is fair, respectful and transparent, with clear expectations and guidelines, and a charismatic, inviting personality. All in all, the cons are few, the perks are strong, and the culture is awesome.

Advice to Management

It would be really great to have idea meetings a little more frequently, even quarterly, so we could spin off some side-projects that might be worth exploring.

It would be nice to have more inter-departmental collaboration, and dedicate time to breakout projects (maybe a few hours per month) that a few employees could tackle together, like they do at Google and other companies to generate new ideas.

Sr. Graphic Designer

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Bonita Springs, FL

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with many different organizations, like the government, radio stations, and broadcasting stations...I can honestly say that I have worked with the best and the worst.....and at the moment, I am very content with my job. I can assure, you will get what you put in. Our clients have high standards, as do I, with everything I do! I've worked long nights, without a doubt that I will get paid the hours worked...and upper management does notice hard work....within the first couple of months I received employee of the month and then soon enough I was promoted to Sr. Graphic designer, leading a team of 7 to 8 designers. As I said before, hard work does not go unnoticed..and maybe we complain because we all have different standards of what hard work really is..To me, it means giving a 110% to what is in front of you...

Besides the companies work ethic and standards I like the work environment...you can play music, dress however you like, within reason and our directors are super chill...(unless they are under pressure from upper management or a client, then like in any other job everything gets a little hectic...but manageable).

MSA is always celebrating their employees, they are always seeking new ways for their employees to have fun! We have annual events and competitions.

Cons

Our training when I first started was not where it should have been...I feel like I've contributed to some of the organization and standards of our team. Of course Ed (Creative Director), Dave (Art Director), and Jason (Assisstant Art Director) they've all contributed to our organization but as our team was growing..their responsibilities were too! I think that we are getting to a better place.

When I was hired I was happy with my pay but as year has gone by and my responsibility has grown I feel like I am 110% dedicated to my job and I feel like I have worked my way to a higher income, but that comes with time...so no complaints until my 1 yr review lol

Advice to Management

Keep us in the loop with upcoming projects!

10. Very Happy With The Changes!

I have been working at Moore & Scarry Advertising full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As an employee who has been here for the previous management and current management, I cannot be happier with the changes within the company. Employees are staying and morale is way up.

-While still carrying some of the stereotypes of an advertising agency, the environment is very laid back.

-The company does an excellent job at hiring people. It's not cutthroat like some other agencies I've worked at. If you have a question, you can count on someone being able to help you out.

-The managers present themselves in a way that if you have a question or concern, they're available and willing to listen....which is cool. It's reassuring that the company values its employees.

-I've never had an issue getting time off. And when you're off, you're off. No on-call BS.

-Regular company events like basketball, softball, paintball, even paper airplane tournaments. The office manager also sets up opportunities to give back to the community. It feels great being associated with a company with that reputation.

Cons

I'm actually very happy at this company and I enjoy coming to work. The only issues I have is it's still an ad agency and long hours go hand-in-hand.

However, the company is aware of this and they do compensate for the overtime and occasionally throw a day off or let people leave early, which is appreciated.

Communication still needs work. You may be required to stay late or come in on a weekend to finish a project and when sending for approvals you could find yourself waiting 45 minutes to an hour for a response. Maybe even longer. If it's important enough that you're doing the overtime, those requiring you to stay should be on top of it.

Advice to Management

Encourage receipt of emails of all departments.

The changes have been great and are getting exponentially better, keep listening to employees and don't stop what you're doing. It's awesome.

11. Account Executive

I worked at Moore & Scarry Advertising

Pros

Clients are easy to work with

Cons

Management, pay, co workers, general manager, culture

Moore & Scarry Advertising Photos