Moorehead Communications

Moorehead Communications Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Moorehead Communications President & CEO Scott Moorehead

Scott Moorehead

Pros:
  • "We have employee appreciation day when the Ceo and bosses serve their employees for lunch and entertain us for the day"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Advancement opportunities, full benefits package, reduced cell phone bill, on-site gym with personal trainer, casual dress, stable company"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Negative work environment, upper management constantly micro manages employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They continuously change the pay structure"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Career advancement and AWESOME Family/Friendly environment

Corporate (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMoorehead Communications has given me the opportunity to prove myself and advance my career. I started in Sales with the company over 4 years ago and quickly advanced to Management where I was also given the opportunity to help open/train new stores. It has been a great learning process and I greatly appreciate the opportunities that have been given to me and the friends/coworkers I have met along the way

ConsThe work-life balance was a bit difficult at first since there are no set schedules when working in retail. There also could be better communication on new policies and processes coming from Top Management down to the Field.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management is AWESOME! They are very personable and friendly and make the best decisions for the best of the company and the employee. What I think is needed would be a program that specifies the qualities/skills needed to get to any level of the company so employees can work toward that goal for when a position is open. Also, PTO should be given during the first year as well as sick days.

Easy work, unreliable pay, and shady CEO.

Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was easy to make money if you worked in the right store. If you are a sales associate it's nice to make all your own commission. Very small group of employees so it can be tight knit in good ways and bad.

ConsThey continuously change the pay structure. Do not compensate managers well. It's a bit like high school at times. Some stores are horribly slow and make no commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your loyal employees. Don't change the pay structure so often just to make YOU more money.

Great Company, but much too large to operate with a Mom & Pop shop approach

Store Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time

ProsThis is a great company with exceptional top level management. The company is partnered with major telecom organizations and growing in leaps and bounds. The franchise opportunities are also a plus for entrepreneurial minds.

ConsFrom the regional levels on down, the company seems to operate like a Mom & Pop shop, with thin staffing, poor training, and unreasonable goals. The focus becomes more about numbers and $$$, less about quality of service, staff, and adequate training.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand and enhance the HR function, improve the training at the store level and the delivery methods of the training, and coordinate bi-monthly divisional level round-table sessions with store level staff to improve communications and gather critical store level staff feedback on processes and procedures related to sales, training, and other operational aspects that may be helpful to improved service, reduced staff turnover, increased numbers and $$$.

Used to thing I would stay here for a long time....

Marion, IN

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- MY supervisor cares. He/she is concerned about me as a person, not just as a pack mule to get work done and to make the company money.
- Decent discounts on phones, tablets, and accessories.

Cons- 90% of those in a manager or higher role (at Corp) don't care about you as a person. They care about $$$$ and that's it. "Oh you are sick with a 102 temp and throwing up? You'll still be able to get that report done right?"

- Moorehead COMMUNICATIONS can not communicate. Its horrible. No one is on the same page, and when they are you have 20 people trying to do the exact same thing.

- Very low pay. I make $10,000 less a year than the average pay for my position. That's pretty common across the board, until you get up to the higher ranks.

- Sketchy accounting practice.

- Way too much work, not enough employees.

- The Carmel office...this is the big one. From day one the people in Marion were told "You can stay in Marion, Carmel is optional" All that has changed. Many of us have been forced to work in the Carmel office and before long you will have nothing but Dish and the Warehouse in Marion. I cant even begin to tell you what a huge hit that has been to morale. People are miserable here. People in the Marion area have a 1.5 hour drive time one way!! That's ridiculous! Add that to the low pay and its downright insulting.

- Company president has been MIA since January.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Keep Marion open and let us choose where we go. Otherwise you are loosing employees. You would be shocked to know how many people here are actively looking for something else. You may not care now, but when all those people leave at once you will take a very hard hit. You have some excellent employees that have been here for many years and they feel betrayed. We feel unappreciated, used, and insignificant. Fix it. Make it right. Prove that its not all about the money and you really do care. You have a lot of hurting employees.

New to wireless then ok

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsOk training into the wireless market Hours are pretty standard

ConsPay is $5 an hour plus commission. You need to make sure you're in a high traffic store to make a living. The smaller slower stores make less than 800 a month commission on average.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate slower stores employees. They are working just as hard

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

There is a severe disconnect with the frontline and the upper management due to the middle level management.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros- Ability to become a Supervisor in a short period of time.
- Depends on location; Customer base, management and team members
- Depends on location; VZW Account Manager, Comcast Associate Manager
- Verizon Wireless
- Xfinity
- Your fellow Frontline Employees
- Numbers can be manipulated so you look like you're doing your job.

Cons- Dish Network (depends on location)
- Regional Managers believe there approach in one market works in all markets
- HIGH TURNOVER (Prospective employees are brought on with many of the wrong abilities but because they can "sell" products they are considered good. However, the training for the employees only teaches them how to "sell" and they have little to no customer service selling techniques.)
- Changing pay structures (Changes are currently being made to address this issue but one market can't reflect all markets.
- Aged Inventory
- You make no commission on the plans AT ALL
- Too much disconnect from upper level management and frontline employees (Changes are being made to this as well I hope.)
- Company policies and procedures (They will tell you they want your store ran like a corporate store but if it benefits Moorehead over VZW then sell Moorehead as long as you don't do it in front of VZW.)
- Benefits are expensive if you're not single
- Quite a few more but a lot of it depends on your market and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrade your Managers on Market growth as opposed to the Metrics because the Metrics hide the Customer and Frontline disconnect that exists in this company. It has the potential to be a great Indirect option that could influence how the VZW and Dish direct employees treat their customers. As it stands now, you're company is serving to funnel great employees to your competition and eventually Moorehead could see itself bought out by VZW.

So happy I left

Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you work at a busy store of live in Indiana where the cost of living is lower then you may be paid a living wage.

ConsThis job is presented to you as if it will be a career, where you will be able to move up within the company given hard work and dedication. You are sent to training for a few days in Marion, In. and then begin life as a sales rep which entails long hours of sitting in a retail location with no security. Pay is very low, even for managers which is about as high up as one can go in this company without moving to Marion, In. Store reps are paid $5 an hour and a low commission percentage and told that by selling certain products they can receive monthly bonuses. Problem is, the goals for the bonuses are set ridiculously high so you cannot hit them.The only people that I saw make money were people that worked in very high volume stores or people who cheated the system and inflated their numbers to make it appear that they were selling more. Many customers treat you very rudely and you are forced to put a smile on your face and accept it. Many managers are lazy and are only there to complete their 40 hours a week and then go home. Training is minimal after your initial training. Benefits are very expensive unless you are single. when all is said and done after two weeks of 85 hours worked helping angry customers, maintaining the store, etc you will see that after taxes your check is 9 or 10 dollars an hour and its not worth any of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts blatantly obvious how greedy the company is.

Why did it change?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Moorehead Communications

ProsBest products makes selling easy. If you like I party this is the place to go in upper management.

ConsPay was great, then constant changes (why did this change?). Company did have a great family atmosphere from CEO to part-time sales staff (why did this change?). Production doesn't trump friendship (why did this change?).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what's right for your employees because without them your business will stagnate. Allow production to outweigh the buddy system of promotions. Step back and take a good look at you wallets and think if you were a little less greedy maybe you could make a few more families a little more comfortable and less strapped to pay their bills.

Flag Review

Moorehead Communications Digital Marketing Manager responded to this review

Feb 3, 2014

I'm sorry to hear about your recent dissatisfaction with the company. I will make sure to share your story with our C-Suite. Thank you for taking the time to share feedback.

They sugar coated this job like hell!

I have been working at Moorehead Communications

ProsCulture of Good.
Paid vaca.
Customer service
Pretty easy work, I love my manager.

ConsI feel taken advantaged of.
Training was unrealistic and a grey area. They don't tell you about $5 an hour or no sick leave. Not open to new ideas. Culture of Good -. Partly Just doing it for the good publicity more than likely. Trying to compete to much and forgetting their company succeeds because unfairly treated sales associates

Advice to Senior ManagementOwn up to your words you tell us at training.

Toxic environment. Low pay. Unreasonable expectations. Upper management thinks they're in college.

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people you work with are the only pro. Everything about this company is a public front.

ConsIf youre not in to getting drunk then youre not going to get ahead. The Executive team acts like they are in a frat house and brag about getting sloppy drunk at work and then broadcasts it to everyone at company functions. CEO is an unstable mess who openly insults employees at meetings. Upper to entry level management are held to this drunken frat houses expectation and end up to taking their cues from CEO and executives and are unprofessional, immature, and unpredictable. Women managers aren't taken seriously. If they were, there would be at least one female executive rather than his five college buddies who compete with each other about who can be more obnoxious. CEO claims to care about employees and people but laughs the hardest when he is insulting people.

Unreasonable expectations to accomplish crazy amounts of work in unrealistic amounts of time and barely any over time pay. By the time you get everything done, you've practically worked for free.

I don't work in the stores, but it's so obvious that they get treated like dirt and are made out to be fools. No one cares but the store people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying the F word and other curse words. Stop promoting your friends. Stop dragging your parent's legacy through the mud. Stop making fun of employees. Actually care enough to read this.

Flag Review

Moorehead Communications Digital Marketing Manager responded to this review

Feb 3, 2014

I'm sad to see that an employee who has worked with us for more than eight years has such strong job dissatisfaction. Please make sure you take the time to fill out the anonymous employee ... More

Worked for Moorehead Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Moorehead Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Moorehead Communications CEO Scott Moorehead. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Moorehead Communications employees.