Mooseheart Child City & School

Mooseheart Child City & School Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Scott Hart

Kids are great.. expectations are unrealistic

ProsKids are great
    Housing provided
    In a nice area about 1 hour West of Chicago
    Neat opportunities to make differences in others lives

ConsVery little support
    Expectations are unrealistic (if you were actually going to do what they expected of you it would include interacting with kids that live with you and who you are acting as a parental figure in a set of "scripts" or in other words like a robot. The ideas behind the model make sense but they treat the model as though it is infallible which is unfortunate. Since leaving I've still been working with kids and I wish I would've been more counseling towards the kids while I was there... unfortunately they just want you to "program" the kids. It would be a much better place if they cared less about the PROCESS and more about the RESULTS and the PEOPLE. I really hope they make these changes for the kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Hart seems to do a good job but middle management seems disconnected and this is unfortunate because it hurts the kids.

Kids are awesome but expectations on kids and staff are way too high.

Family Teacher (Former Employee) Mooseheart, IL

ProsThe two pros are that you live on campus and that the kids are incredible.

ConsLong hours, frequently 6am-11pm. Ridiculous expectation on staff. Often working alone with 10 kids yet still expected to do 5-10 rote teaching interactions per kid, cook all meals, then complete paperwork. You're too busy trying to stay within the model of care and balance your teaching interactions to really invest in the kids. If a child goes out of control, all kids must go to their rooms. Even if the child id out of control for hours and hours- you must still complete about 75 teaching interactions per day with the other youth. You cannot give administration feedback or even ask a question about a rule- even if the rule negatively affects staff and children.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the upper management regime, allow staff a break during afternoons, properly staff the homes, allow staff to have a voice as they're the ones with the kids 24 hours.

Please do not apply or consider working here.

ProsGreat location
    Fantastic medical insurance
    Access to malls, restaurants, etc
    Helps you know and understand youth

ConsI worked at Mooseheart for a long time. At first it was great but about a few years into it, the ugliness of the way things are being handled came to light. I saw so many co-workers get fired or forced out because of small and petting situations that could have been handled in a professional manner. The upper management in the residential departments are one cohesive unit and they act like it. It is often "them" vs the "family teachers." They usually like to explain away the problems people have by making it seem that they employees were bad or wrong in the first place, or had poor motives, worth ethic etc.. That is certainly true to some extent, but it doesn't carry weight when measured against a very high turnover rate. All you have to do is go to facebook, search "Mooseheart" and find current and former employees. I challenge you to message each one and ask them about their experiences at Mooseheart. They will be overwhelmingly be negative unfortunately. Defending your employer is of course understood and expected. Defending your company while turning blind eyes and deaf ears to bad policies and procedures is a moral failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house starting with the director of residential living and going downward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I felt so disrespected working at this company.

Family Teacher (Current Employee) Mooseheart, IL

ProsWorking with kids is the best part of this job. Even though some days are rough, and it seems like you're not getting anywhere- it all comes together at other times and you couldn't be more proud!

Some of the school staff are really amazing!

ROTC, the cosmo program, nursing program, auto shop, etc all provide options for our high schoolers to get ready for life after MH.

The Moose members and their contributions to the organization are really neat.

Great health insurance options.

There are always events or dinners put on by local Moose lodges during the holidays, so even if you're working on a holiday you'll still feel like you're surrounded by family.

You'll see unparalleled generosity coming from all sides. The Moose members give and give and give! The community pours into MH, too. And our kids are so generous! When they are given a sponsored shopping trip at Target for Christmas- almost all of them will spend their money on their friends and families instead of buying things for themselves.

Mooseheart will change you. I'm a better parent and I will do better in my field outside of MH b/c of some of the things I have learned there. And there is no feeling in the world like the one you get when you look around and see what you are a part of.

ConsUnrealistic expectations- you will *NEVER* be good enough.
    Constant negative feedback, both written and verbal.
    Staff are treated like youth- you must look at your superior and say "okay" without defending yourself when given "feedback."
    Staff have little say in matters of their own placement in homes, can be yanked out of the blue and sent elsewhere.
    Inflexible model that stunts actual relationship building when run the "right" way.
    Food budgets for the homes are extremely small- it is extremely hard to provide nutritious meals wiht such time and budget constraints. Many homes rely on over processed, cheap food. Staff are not figured into the food budget. As a rule I spend between $150-$250/month to keep my youth well fed, never mind myself!
    Extreme nepotism in the promotion system.
    Staff quarters are often EXTREMELY small and in poor condition.
    If you are not Christian, don't talk about it! Much of leadership are conservative Christians, and some of the ways it is expressed can be very uncomfortable to those who are not religious. And you do NOT want them finding out you are not a Christian!
    There is a culture of backbiting and tattle tale behavior among the staff. Management encourages this culture. Anyone can (and will) throw you under the bus at any time, especially to cover their own butts.

As for the actual job- it can be heartbreaking at times. You will lose kids along the way, either to leaving on their own, being demitted, etc. It can be hard watching them go back to bad situations. And the majority of the youth there are damaged in some way. Damaged people hurt others, and these kids know right where to hit you so it HURTS. You will cry. You will lose sleep over them. No one in your personal life will understand how hard this job is, and that will feel lonely. You will work until you can't see straight, then you'll work some more. It takes between 6-12 months to really feel like you have a handle on the job. That's a lot of hard work, considering over half of people who get trained don't make it through their first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't use the model with your staff! It is insulting to sit in your office and say "okay" like we are youth. Sometimes disagreeing is a good thing, not something that should get your professionalism score knocked down.
    Do away with (or greatly revamp) the Certification process. You know and we know that it is mostly busy work and hoops to jump through. It bears little resemblance to day to day life on the job. Judge me by how my youth are doing. Judge me on how my home runs. Don't judge me on how straight someone's tie was or how whether I can parrot back steps while under pressure.
    Realize that your staff are afraid to truly do their job because of the way things have been handled leading up to and during the departure of staff in recent years. Realize that the tattle tale culture is toxic and destructive. Bottom line? Show your staff RESPECT. Don't just say you know how hard being an FT is. Truly look back and remember how hard it is, and try to show some genuine appreciation to the staff. Tell them that they are doing a great job- not that they have to try harder and do more and be better ALL THE TIME.
    It's time for some in upper management to move along. They are really hurting MH, and poisoning what should be an amazing place.

I felt like a criminal whenever students did anything wrong under my care.

Teacher (Current Employee) Mooseheart, IL

ProsThe students need good people as role models and caregivers. It is very rewarding to think you could make a difference for these needy children.

ConsStudents can report anything they see, hear or make up and you are subject to investigations. At Mooseheart you are considered guilty until proven innocent. Students have all the power.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all people with respect and under the assumption that they are honest and trustworthy. Assume that all people are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Mooseheart is a very challenging place to work due to difficult youth and extremely high expectations of management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mooseheart, IL

Pros1. Helping Children in need
    2. Sharing Faith in Jesus Christ is allowed
    3. You will be stretched farther than you might think possible not all that different than when people go through military boot-camp. This is no exageration.

Cons1. 70-80 hours a week and still struggle to keep up with work demand
    2. Late nights working followed by early mornings working
    3. Always feeling like you are not doing an adequate job due to unfair expectations by management
    4. Inconsistencies among how different supervisors handle similar situations
    5. Inconsistencies between how homes are ran. Not all follow the model and this makes it difficult for those that do

Advice to Senior Management1. Make work-load expectations more reasonable. This will help you to keep good staff longer.
    2. Do a better job of letting good staff know they are doing a good job.
    3. Have more consistent rules among the two communities and among the homes. Enforce these rules.
    4. Listen to in home staff. Most are very hard workers and are actually in the homes. They know more about the youth than management will ever acknowledge. Admit that management actually spends very little time with the youth as compared to the in home staff. Respond accordingly.
    5. Management should not try to act like they are perfect and all knowing. This is clearly shown not to be true. Stop pretending and show humility and utmost respect to in home staff. The in home staff are the ones that are truly carrying much of the work load. This is obvious. Don't act as if it is not. Family Teachers are the heroes on campus. Treat them as such.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKids are great
    3 day weekends every once in a while

Consstress
    no sleep
    lack of support from management
    unrealistic expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementOPR are unrealistic.

Worked for Mooseheart Child City & School? Contribute to the Community!