Mooseheart Child City & School

2.5
Scott Hart

1. Family Teacher

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time

Pros

Great Organization supported by the men and women of the Moose. Beautiful Campus Advancement from within Great Kids!

Cons

Hours can be long. Some days this will be the best job you ever had and some days this will be the hardest job you ever had.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your high standards for kids.

2. Be warned.

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free housing, food and utilities. Great preparation for future employment.

Cons

I worked at Mooseheart for more than 5 years so my review is quite well versed in reality and not simply a knee jerk reaction or because of an emotional breakdown. I have had many successful jobs in my career and done pretty well. I have never seen an organization treat their employees with a wide range of difference as the management at Mooseheart. If they like you, they treat you like royalty and support you to no end. If they do not like you, they treat you like garbage and do all they can to get you to leave without being upfront and ethical. The majority of management are men so it has created a culture much that of a country club or "good ole boys" club. Stay as far away from this place as possible. It will eat your life and soul.

Advice to Management

Quit.

Certified Family Teacher

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical Benefits, varied work environment, living quarters provided, most people are friendly and supportive, Moose members

Cons

Administration, salary for a 24/5 on-call position, small quarters, kids have too much power and are rarely held accontable

Advice to Management

Stop believing everything the kids say, contrary to popular belief among administrators, kids lie. Try to make things more enjoyable for family teachers-they are directly affected by everything and rarely are recognized in meaningful ways. Staff should not be working alone on a regular basis.

5. Family Teacher

Pros

Housing provided. Great place to pass through while looking for something else. Pretty decent extra sports program. Lots of freebies such as Camp Ross, Wisconsin Dells, Sporting Events etc.

Cons

Kind of a strange place. There are some pretty cool people who work there but many of the family teachers use their authority to bully the kids. Administration seems to overlook the bullying of the family teachers who have been working there forever.

Advice to Management

A lot of the family teachers need social skills. They seem to struggle with interacting with the outside world. Also, a lot of the homes are death traps. Major repairs needed!

6. GREAT EXPERIENCE! GREAT FOR KIDS! HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do great work with kids. Kids are first priority. Mooseheart has very well trained Family Teachers because Mooseheart understands they are the care givers for kids. Mooseheart wants all of their kids to be safe. MH has many checks and balances to make sure kids are safe. Many great people work at MH. All care about kids. Many great Administrators and Family Teachers.

Cons

Many Family Teachers don't run the Model of Care so it makes good Family Teachers who use the Model look bad. Many Family Teachers are there for themselves and what Mooseheart can give them. They are not worried about the kids. Mooseheart does not get rid of Family Teachers quick enough when they don't do their job. Give poor Family Teachers too many chances and there are many of them not doing their job. The kids are sometimes really difficult. Many Family Teachers feel beat up because Mooseheart expects a lot from them. Family Teachers don't understand it has to be this way. COME ON!!! YOU ARE WORKING KIDS and Mooseheart has guidelines to follow.

Advice to Management

Help Family Teachers learn the Model instead of always giving feedback. Many of the Administrators are well respected because they have many years experience in working with kids. Use your experience to help Family Teachers. I had a good experience and the Administration was always pleasant and helpful. But, I did my job. Unlike many other Family Teachers.

7. It's not for everyone

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mooseheart is about schedules, consistency, and the kids. It is nice to work at a place that really does put the kids first. Everything that happens here is for the benifit of the kids. We don't always get it right but we certainly give it our all. Living on campus with room and board is also nice. You get 9 days off a month and floating holidays. You get plenty of personal and vacation days. You make your own schedule with your coworker.

Cons

This is a hard job. Period. You can not slack. You can not get away with not doing your job. You will get feedback constantly and you will not agree with it 100% of the time. You will struggle and cry. You will want to quit multiple times a year. You will have to suck it up and fight to stay here. You will have to put blood, sweat, and tears into raising these children as they may rarley thank you and often swear at you. And you will be shocked at the amount of joy you feel when a child you work with finally learns how to tie their shoes; or a middle schooler listens to you without rolling their eyes; or a high school student gets accepted to collage. This job is not for everyone. It is for intelligent, competent, adaptable people whom know how to take care of themselves and whom have enough drive, patience, and love to raise children with difficult lives.

8. With some changes, could be a great place to work

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are the reason my husband and I enjoyed being there, and they are what made it difficult to leave. It's a beautiful campus.

Cons

The administration there seem disconnected from the Family Teachers and kids. They are concerned with Mooseheart's image to Moose lodge members and also data, not the quality of life for the children and staff. The schedule is pretty tough, only 48 hours off per week.

Advice to Management

Do what's truly best for kids- individualize care; if something sets kids off, adapt the model so they can be successful. Things don't need to be so rule-focused. I always felt that administration tried to make staff and kids like robots.

Not worth the so called "benefits."

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are amazing. They are all so unique and it would be great to have a chance to help them.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of live-in family teachers. Very few hired staff stay longer than six months. I have been here a lot longer than I should have been but with no free time I can't work on finding other jobs. No room for professional growth. Administration treats the family teachers the same way they expect the family teachers to treat the kids. Staff are guilty until proven innocent in all situations. There is no support.

Advice to Management

You need to rethink the way you run this place and treat your staff if you want there to be any staff left. Mr. Urwiler keeps preaching "family teacher retention" but nothing has changed since he took over.

Kids are awesome but expectations on kids and staff are way too high.

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The two pros are that you live on campus and that the kids are incredible.

Cons

Long hours, frequently 6am-11pm. Ridiculous expectation on staff. Often working alone with 10 kids yet still expected to do 5-10 rote teaching interactions per kid, cook all meals, then complete paperwork. You're too busy trying to stay within the model of care and balance your teaching interactions to really invest in the kids. If a child goes out of control, all kids must go to their rooms. Even if the child id out of control for hours and hours- you must still complete about 75 teaching interactions per day with the other youth. You cannot give administration feedback or even ask a question about a rule- even if the rule negatively affects staff and children.

Advice to Management

Break up the upper management regime, allow staff a break during afternoons, properly staff the homes, allow staff to have a voice as they're the ones with the kids 24 hours.

Please do not apply or consider working here.

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location Fantastic medical insurance Access to malls, restaurants, etc Helps you know and understand youth

Cons

I worked at Mooseheart for a long time. At first it was great but about a few years into it, the ugliness of the way things are being handled came to light. I saw so many co-workers get fired or forced out because of small and petting situations that could have been handled in a professional manner. The upper management in the residential departments are one cohesive unit and they act like it. It is often "them" vs the "family teachers." They usually like to explain away the problems people have by making it seem that they employees were bad or wrong in the first place, or had poor motives, worth ethic etc.. That is certainly true to some extent, but it doesn't carry weight when measured against a very high turnover rate. All you have to do is go to facebook, search "Mooseheart" and find current and former employees. I challenge you to message each one and ask them about their experiences at Mooseheart. They will be overwhelmingly be negative unfortunately. Defending your employer is of course understood and expected. Defending your company while turning blind eyes and deaf ears to bad policies and procedures is a moral failure.

Advice to Management

Clean house starting with the director of residential living and going downward.

RSS Feed </> Embed