Moosejaw

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eoin Comerford

Cool company going in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison Heights, MI

ProsThe best part about Moosejaw is the people that work there. In general, it's a bunch of very cool, funny and smart people. Management makes the effort to make it fun with dogs at work, beer fridge Fridays, employee recognition stuff, etc., which certainly helps, but overall it's about looking forward to seeing the people that you work with on a daily basis.

ConsThe cons are that Moosejaw is still a relatively small company (about 300 people) so money is fairly tight and career advancement can be tough, though both have improved a fair amount over the past couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work but remember that your best asset walks out the door every night.

Boring internship, didnt learn anything

Intern (Former Employee) Madison Heights, MI

Prosplay volley ball and improve your health

ConsThe IT department has no direction. There is no knowledgeable person to guide. I felt I knew more than every one. Glad I am not a full time employee or I will become like one of them. Wrong place for interns as this does not show real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed knowledgable people and not just talkers.

good temerory job if you do not care for money

Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Madison Heights, MI

Prosrelax and cool environment. take a small paycheck home for job with no stress

Consno growth or anything to learn. co-workers are depressed and negative. Cant make a career or living.

Advice to Senior Managementstop giving bigger designations to people doing ordinary jobs. Some people cant digest big designations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Young kids just spoiling their future

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Madison Heights, MI

Prosrelaxed and job with no stress

ConsJust a place to party. Great for underachievers and people who do not think about future. There is no growth or anything to learn there. Even if you are smart and spend some time here, you will become underachiever and become useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. Do not think you are the CEO or VP of a fortune 500 company. Atleast have the basic courtesy to say HI to the poor underpaid workers.

Unprofessional and waste of time

Associate (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsDogs allowed to work and do not have to groom to work

ConsPoor pay. Too many depressed people. The top executive behave like dictators and gangsters. Like to act smart in front of minimum wage employees. Rude and unprofessional management. Do not join this company especially if you are black or minority. You will not fit and will be treated like dirt .

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect emplyees not just your executives. Try to control the top management. Do not give big designations to fools.

A great job if you don't really need money.

Warehouse (Multiple Positions) (Former Employee) Madison Heights, MI

ProsFantastic outdoor gear to learn about if you are an outdoor enthusiast! The discounts are great! There is a culture of having fun while getting it done, which I absolutely enjoyed. Many friends made there!

ConsEnjoying the discount is nearly impossible as a CSR or warehouse staff when taking the hourly pay into consideration ( unless, of course, you are among the "trust-fund outdoor-hipster" crew). While the environment is fun, it seems to enable a perpetual adolescence that can kill motivation and ambition. Cliques are HUGE at MJ!!! Join one or you will not advance. And with like most companies that have a call center attached to it's warehouse, there is an awkward, almost condescending nature in communicating with warehouse staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompetitive pay and benefits go a long way when conveying the worth of your workers. Encourage rotation in ALL positions to enrich the perspectives of CSR's and warehouse staff alike! It could only strengthen your people and MJ would ultimately benefit.

The gear is why you work here.

ProsLaid back atmosphere, flexible schedules, 65% discount on Moosejaw gear, 25% discount on other brands.

ConsNo benefits, poor pay, almost no chance of moving up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor how awesome Moosejaw thinks it is, they treat their employees pretty bad. If they want to be an industry leader they need to raise the bar. Almost minimum wage pay and no benefits is an awful way to show your employees how much you mean to them. I'd rather work in a more strict environment and get paid more. The discounts are nice but they don't pay my bills.

Trying hard to be like Zappos, and that's a good thing!

ProsExcellent culture of work hard/play hard; start-up type of vibe; easy to get your opinion heard; management is young and agile enough to experiment and try new things

ConsSmall company so career pathing can be difficult at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing to keep Moosejaw... well, Moosejaw!

Great atmosphere

Warehouse Position (Former Employee) Madison Heights, MI

ProsThe best work environment I've ever experienced
    I actually looked forward to work everyday

ConsPay wasn't the best but I was a seasonal employee
    No other real complaints

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I miss this place!

Great Atmosphere; Cool People!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe atmosphere of Moosejaw is simply amazing. They encourage a laid-back, energetic work environment that makes it easy to lose track of the day (a good thing whilst at work).

ConsWell, the detriment to any retail job is the customers. Unfortunately for Moosejaw employees, their customers are generally spending vast sums of money on the merchandise and therefore are more liable to be much more uptight.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo idea..

Worked for Moosejaw? Contribute to the Community!