Moosejaw Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
3.7
Eoin Comerford

1. Cool place to work with some caveats.

Former Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked a seasonal position in the warehouse.

You don't find many companies like this in the metro Detroit area. Actually one of the few places that won't treat you like crap. Managers are very relaxed and will work with you if there are any issues. The warehouse is vary diverse so pretty much anyone will fit in no matter what color, gender, sexual orientation, etc.. You can listen to music on headphones while you work. Sometimes we had nerf wars which were pretty fun. Sometimes there was free food. Overall, it was an easy, fun job. I can't comment on the corporate area since it's basically a separate part of the company that's in the same building. Last pro is that you will be working with some attractive people which is surprising in a warehouse.

Cons

The pay is just slightly above minimum wage. While it's an easy job you could make significantly more at UPS down the street if you don't mind a more labor intensive position and not as cool of a work place. Unfortunately the warehouse is somewhat separated from the corporate area so networking to get ahead isn't likely if you're looking for a corporate/business position. The music in the warehouse can get awful with a lot of people playing screamo which is often unbearable. The men's bathroom in the warehouse was real bad. It needs some serious remodeling. Also a lot of people didn't wash their hands and I got sick one week. The sales were a little lacking so there wasn't enough work near the end of the season. This was probably due to the lack of cold weather in late 2014. The supplies were often lacking. They were stingy with tape guns which I don't quite understand why since they're under $15 each.

2. Private Equity ownership changed the Company for the worse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Moosejaw

Pros

They had a great, fun culture before the buyout. There was hard work, but it was appreciated, and we got to make nice bonuses when we exceeded our goals, which were realistic ones.

Cons

Now, they limit bonuses, and HR is a gatekeeper, shutting down employees who wish to question management or challenge processes in any way. This is frustrating as we felt more like worker bees whose input was not valued.

3. Satisfied

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Moosejaw part-time

Pros

Environment, Culture. Definitely a very fun place to work and they specifically hire like minded people for the most part.

Cons

Need to do a better job with inventory management of products and managing the origins of sales, specifically around stores.

GREATT, GREATT, justttttttt GREAT!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Moosejaw part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its so laid back, if your a young hipster; you are SURE to enjoy it! There's no dress code, breaks can be taken when wanted (but cannot exceed a maximum time), They often have company meetings through the day. You Get a AUTOMATIC free shirt for working there, and have MANY chances to win other things such as $1,000, Vacations.. YOU NAME IT! My first day was great. I'm just a seasonal warehouse associate at the HQ in Madison heights, MI. But I hope this turns into permanent employment and all associates has a shot at overtime (More than 40 hours a week)

Cons

A little unorganized, I feel bad for the HR.. because people change their avalibility by the week!

Idk, Youre doing great! Boost Up Sales so I can keep my job!

A company with out a clue on what it wants to do.

I worked at Moosejaw part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Centrally located and a great place if you want to just show up and don't care about a career

Cons

Too many to list unfortunately. Little room for advancement.

Management should encourage innovation within the company without fear of retaliation. This company is hurting itself by not letting its employees share ideas and encourage their creativity. A key concept of change is innovation and it is not rewarded, instead successes go unrecognized and feedback is discouraged.

Fun is mandatory!

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative

I worked at Moosejaw part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They really want you to have fun at work
    They recruit people from the inside for upper management. You can move up pretty quickly.
    Amazing discount.
    Management seems to care about employees as people. The CEO still gets out and makes a point of meeting all the employees (cool guy)

Cons

Lots of turnover.
    Slow in the stores with not much to do.
    Pay is not great

could encourage more work life balance
    grow the business more and get the name out there

8. Boring internship, didnt learn anything

Former Intern - Intern in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

play volley ball and improve your health

Cons

The IT department has no direction. There is no knowledgeable person to guide. I felt I knew more than every one. Glad I am not a full time employee or I will become like one of them. Wrong place for interns as this does not show real world.

Need knowledgable people and not just talkers.

Moosejaw Response

Jul 28, 2014Director of HR

This review was posted for a former disgruntled IT employee, who left the company on his own accord after verbalizing many times that he was smarter than everyone in our IT department. Great guy ... More

A great job if you don't really need money.

Former Employee - Warehouse (Multiple Positions) in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Warehouse (Multiple Positions) in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic outdoor gear to learn about if you are an outdoor enthusiast! The discounts are great! There is a culture of having fun while getting it done, which I absolutely enjoyed. Many friends made there!

Cons

Enjoying the discount is nearly impossible as a CSR or warehouse staff when taking the hourly pay into consideration ( unless, of course, you are among the "trust-fund outdoor-hipster" crew). While the environment is fun, it seems to enable a perpetual adolescence that can kill motivation and ambition. Cliques are HUGE at MJ!!! Join one or you will not advance. And with like most companies that have a call center attached to it's warehouse, there is an awkward, almost condescending nature in communicating with warehouse staff.

Competitive pay and benefits go a long way when conveying the worth of your workers. Encourage rotation in ALL positions to enrich the perspectives of CSR's and warehouse staff alike! It could only strengthen your people and MJ would ultimately benefit.

Cool company going in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Moosejaw full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about Moosejaw is the people that work there. In general, it's a bunch of very cool, funny and smart people. Management makes the effort to make it fun with dogs at work, beer fridge Fridays, employee recognition stuff, etc., which certainly helps, but overall it's about looking forward to seeing the people that you work with on a daily basis.

Cons

The cons are that Moosejaw is still a relatively small company (about 300 people) so money is fairly tight and career advancement can be tough, though both have improved a fair amount over the past couple of years.

Keep up the good work but remember that your best asset walks out the door every night.

The gear is why you work here.

I have been working at Moosejaw

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, flexible schedules, 65% discount on Moosejaw gear, 25% discount on other brands.

Cons

No benefits, poor pay, almost no chance of moving up in the company.

For how awesome Moosejaw thinks it is, they treat their employees pretty bad. If they want to be an industry leader they need to raise the bar. Almost minimum wage pay and no benefits is an awful way to show your employees how much you mean to them. I'd rather work in a more strict environment and get paid more. The discounts are nice but they don't pay my bills.