Morehead State University

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
3.9

Wayne D. Andrews

I enjoyed my experience at Morehead State University.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Management was great. Benefits are good. Very flexible schedule with great coworkers and supervisors. There is some good talent for a non-research oriented university. The department chair is great and really excelled at finding funding for projects. There are some great research projects that seem to be progressing quickly.

Cons

The pay could be better. Career guidance could be improved in the department. I did not enjoy the town of Morehead, Ky. There isn't a whole lot to do here.

So so place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morehead, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morehead, KS

I have been working at Morehead State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off, ability to attend school while you work there,benifits,coworkers are great

Cons

Seems administration is only concerend with self benefit, thay make make 90k+,while employees struggle to make ends meet. The president of msu I the second highest paid in the state. This place needs some serious changes.

Look at the compensation scale and really bring your employees to market rates. Have a fair hiring process hire people that have the qualifications for the job and not friends of the hiring committee.

Excellent people, focus on the customer (students), President Andrews is fantastic! Low pay.

Current Employee - Work Study in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Work Study in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, excellent coworkers and supervisors, some very talented and knowledgeable people. Got to work very closely with instructors and learn from both instructors and supervisors and see the inner workings of academia. Plenty opportunity to do homework during downtime.

Cons

Very little future guidance. This is not a position to help you get a future potion in the organization. Being a university, most admin jobs people are very overqualified for their position in terms of education: ie secretaries with MBAs, etc. Very hard to get in and move up. Low pay all around.

If you have good employees, try to groom them to work for you in the future. It seems some of the better people leave as the organization brings in people from elsewhere with similar experience/education. Assess your employees and retain those that are assets.

Resident Advisor

I have been working at Morehead State University

Pros

Flexible hours, get your own room, looks good on resume, offers great networking

Cons

you may randomly find yourself still awake at 4am helping a sick resident and not get any sleep before a big exam

Very bad leadership

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University part-time

Pros

The areas surrounding Morehead are beautiful.

Cons

Leadership is terrible, people are competing to see who can do less, nepotism gets unqualified people into jobs they can't handle, administration makes promises they don't keep.

Consider being more honest, and don't just worry about your own salary.

I have had a great experience at Morehead State University.

Current Employee - Counselor in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Counselor in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is helpful. Benefits are relatively good. There is also a good open door policy. My supervisors make themselves approachable and at least seem open to new ideas. Get job for entry level position.

Cons

The pay is not very good which is the top complaint around campus. Also, not a lot of professional development opportunities available in our department.

Raise everyone's pay... But seriously, keep doing what you are doing.

Great!

Former Employee - Work Study in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Work Study in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in the payroll department was amazing. The staff are friendly and it's almost like you're apart of a close knit family. They're we're super helpful to me, and I learned many valuable skills when working with them.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Nothing.

Friendly staff with poor pay

Former Employee - Facility/Event Management Intern in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Facility/Event Management Intern in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are tremendous to be around, down to earth and very helpful.

Cons

Compensation is very poor overall, work very hard for very little pay. Although this is understandable for a small university with one of the smallest operating budgets in the U.S.

Increase salaries for the ones who deserve it or they will find another business to work for

The work was easy, and I was able to work quite a few hours, so in the end it was definitely worth working there.

Former Employee - Tutor in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Tutor in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made my own hours, usually got to work on my homework at work, there wasn't much that challenged me, and it paid well enough that I didn't have to work another job as well.

Cons

It paid minimum wage, whereas some of my friends made quite a bit more doing the same amount of work, I occasionally had run ins with superiors, and it had nothing to do with my major or what I wanted to do after college.

Up the pay a bit, so that you don't have to hire anyone that applies, since a lot of the new tutors have no idea what they're doing.

Positive first job in athletics

I worked at Morehead State University

Pros

family atmosphere and the people were great

Cons

money is just not there in community to properly support ath dept

keep plugging away a lot of great changes have happened recently getting them pointed in the right direction