Morgan Hunt Reviews

3 reviews filtered by
3.3
Morgan Hunt CEO Jack Buttars
Jack Buttars

1. An enjoyable place to work, your colleagues and management really made the difference. Supportive and collabrative.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Great training provided, solid opportunities to everyone even if new to recruitment.
    Good working environment based in lovely offices in Central London.

Cons

Subject to long hours but this is true in any recruitment environment; however you are not expected to take work home in the evenings or weekends.

Advice to Management

Its important to listen and know your employees; be aware of their motivations and what makes them tick - will allow you to bring the best potential out of them.

2. An excellent place to begin a career in recruitment

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (more than a year)

Pros

With the right attitude, work-ethic and aptitude the 'on-the-job' and classroom based training builds a solid understanding and expertise in recruitment. They teach you the ABCs. It is an excellent place to begin a career.

Since I have left a number of people have gone up the ranks at Morgan Hunt - one is even on the board (so I understand). Such organic growth is actually rather rare in the cut-throat recruitment industry. The opportunities for promotion are genuinely there - clearly.

The Old Bailey offices are the best I have ever worked in. The Morgan Hunt reputation in the public sector recruitment world is genuinely second to none. They are a market leader and truly specialist agency.

I look back fondly on my time in Morgan Hunt and wish them well moving forward.

Cons

At the time (2010/11) the Commission structure was very poor. Once you had proved your worth as a Consultant by making placements and generating revenue, you were awarded commission by your manager. The commission was based on 10% of team revenue being shared equally among those on the team who were ‘on Commission’. As nice as this sounds, in practice it means that someone billing £20k revenue per month was paid the same commission as someone billing £40k per month. After a while it only bred resentment among the higher billers. Indeed, as soon as I realised I could earn a lot more money in an Individual Commission agency I left the business.

At the time, Consultants were very heavily targeted with close to 20 KPIs per month - and heavily scrutinised on whether these targets were hit or not. If Consultants weren't successful the KPIs were a very convenient means by which to performance manager under-performers out of the business.

With this in mind, retention of new joiners was very low and during my two years in the business I saw a lot of new recruits come and go very quickly indeed. This is, however, an industry wide issue.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't dream of making comment to the management of Morgan Hunt now; it has been several years since I worked there.
    At the time, I would have suggested getting rid of the team commission structure and instigating an individual based structure to truly reward those who have billed the most money.

3. Unfriendly, minimal training and long hours. Avoid

Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job which if you are a recent grad is something. However there are so many companies which would offer far better stability and work life balance.

Cons

Long hours at least 8-6 every day.
    Bad pay £22
    Minimal training.
    Always told that one can start building your own desk but this never actually happens.
    Senior management very unfriendly had a proper conversation with one senior director once after three months. Considering its an office of 6 this is pretty unfriendly.
    Very unstable in 6 months they lost 5 people. Minimal work coming in from the few clients they rely on heavily.

Advice to Management

Get to know your junior employees. Broaden your client base it's clearly not working being so reliant.