Morgan Hunt Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Sue Cooper

1. An enjoyable place to work, your colleagues and management really made the difference. Supportive and collabrative.

I worked at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Great training provided, solid opportunities to everyone even if new to recruitment. Good working environment based in lovely offices in Central London.

Cons

Subject to long hours but this is true in any recruitment environment; however you are not expected to take work home in the evenings or weekends.

Advice to Management

Its important to listen and know your employees; be aware of their motivations and what makes them tick - will allow you to bring the best potential out of them.

2. Would highly recommend

Current Employee - Brand & Advertising Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Brand & Advertising Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Since joining Morgan Hunt the feeling of belonging here was instant, I've joined an incredible team, the atmosphere in the office is always on a good vibe, it is always buzzing and feel great. Everyone is friendly here. I have progressed in my role in such a short space of time, you always praised for your achievements.

Cons

I wouldn't say there is a downside but we do need more offices space to fit more Morgan Hunters in as the headcount is grown each and every single day.

3. Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team comradery was a brilliant part of the job, we all got on well, and the manager created a real buzz within the office. I learnt a lot about myself and grew in confidence enormously over the time at Morgan Hunt. The money was great and I was heavily incentivised which showed through in the figures. I found the job was relatively straight forward if you kept it simple and I could built a strong sustainable income going forward. The education division as a whole had a great atmosphere unlike other sales floors I've worked for. Also found the initial training and supervision from managers and colleagues was very good and they showed genuine concern that their staff progressed and were enjoying the job. The company shows great faith in its employers and you feel you are given time to bed in and thus feel secure in your job, which makes it a fantastic place to start your career. A very young workforce full of ambition, which makes for an enthusiastic environment and also a great nightlife of course. The pay was brilliant and although being new I was quickly able to bill far more than I expected (you often take OTE's with a pinch of salt) and so could save up enough to fulfil my career choice. I also love the new offices, spacious and brings the company into a new level of professionalism. Thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and will miss everyone and know I have made some real friends for life, in such a short space of time. Also learnt a lot about business and communication skills.

Cons

Not many con's would say that Recruitment consulting in whole requires long hours, but if you are hungry enough this will pay off. You are required to work hard, but the environment keeps it entertaining. Many of the negative reviews on this website will be from young members who haven't had exposure to many different sales/recruitment floors, also people only come on to vent negativity. I would say that this company has been the best I have worked for in 8 years in sales and I am only leaving to pursue a career in teaching.

Advice to Management

Slight changes in the structure of the working day, seemed restrictive towards the end of my time there. I would say that moving to focus on KPI's makes members of the team feel restricted and removes a level of autonomy that is needed in a sales role, however not sure that this had been fully implemented. outbound calls do not always equal sales as many of my clients have told me, the reason they continue to use me was because I didn't call them unnecessarily. I did think that some of the more outspoken, but as proven not as successful consultants got praise and credit because they were loud. From my experience this doesn't often mean a good consultant, and some of the more reserved and industrious hard working consultants often come out trump and so should also be highlighted. Otherwise a great company and keep doing what you are doing, creating that winning team mentality.

Morgan Hunt Response

Jul 27, 2015 – Marketing Director

Thank you for your review and positive feedback from your time at Morgan Hunt. We're thrilled that we're getting it right and providing a supportive working environment for our people. We appreciate ... More

5. An excellent place to begin a career in recruitment

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the right attitude, work-ethic and aptitude the 'on-the-job' and classroom based training builds a solid understanding and expertise in recruitment. They teach you the ABCs. It is an excellent place to begin a career. Since I have left a number of people have gone up the ranks at Morgan Hunt - one is even on the board (so I understand). Such organic growth is actually rather rare in the cut-throat recruitment industry. The opportunities for promotion are genuinely there - clearly. The Old Bailey offices are the best I have ever worked in. The Morgan Hunt reputation in the public sector recruitment world is genuinely second to none. They are a market leader and truly specialist agency. I look back fondly on my time in Morgan Hunt and wish them well moving forward.

Cons

At the time (2010/11) the Commission structure was very poor. Once you had proved your worth as a Consultant by making placements and generating revenue, you were awarded commission by your manager. The commission was based on 10% of team revenue being shared equally among those on the team who were ‘on Commission’. As nice as this sounds, in practice it means that someone billing £20k revenue per month was paid the same commission as someone billing £40k per month. After a while it only bred resentment among the higher billers. Indeed, as soon as I realised I could earn a lot more money in an Individual Commission agency I left the business. At the time, Consultants were very heavily targeted with close to 20 KPIs per month - and heavily scrutinised on whether these targets were hit or not. If Consultants weren't successful the KPIs were a very convenient means by which to performance manager under-performers out of the business. With this in mind, retention of new joiners was very low and during my two years in the business I saw a lot of new recruits come and go very quickly indeed. This is, however, an industry wide issue.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't dream of making comment to the management of Morgan Hunt now; it has been several years since I worked there. At the time, I would have suggested getting rid of the team commission structure and instigating an individual based structure to truly reward those who have billed the most money.

6. Very disappointing

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good name in market. Smart offices. hours are 830 to 6/630 but people do generally go on time. Not as kpi driven as some agencies

Cons

Commission and bonus very poor, roughly just over 10% on your billings and changed recently so only paid 1/4 ly. A lot of poorly trained junior managers who do not know how to communicate. Senior management very much if your face fits and have a type. A lot of average billers, 50k is considered a good quarter. Not surprisingly as generally the very good people go as bonus so uncompetitive. Senior management do not smile and walk around office ignoring people. Hardly a surprise junior managers act like they do given the example they are set. Promotions not advertised, tend to be given to favourites.

Advice to Management

Engage with all staff. Not just the favoured few. Train junior to middle managers on acceptable behaviours and communication. Sort out the bonus/comm scheme so competitive with industry. The feel of company has changed a lot in last 9 to 10 months with changes in senior management and not for the good. A lot of very unhappy consultants at moment

7. Unfriendly, minimal training and long hours. Avoid

Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job which if you are a recent grad is something. However there are so many companies which would offer far better stability and work life balance.

Cons

Long hours at least 8-6 every day. Bad pay £22 Minimal training. Always told that one can start building your own desk but this never actually happens. Senior management very unfriendly had a proper conversation with one senior director once after three months. Considering its an office of 6 this is pretty unfriendly. Very unstable in 6 months they lost 5 people. Minimal work coming in from the few clients they rely on heavily.

Advice to Management

Get to know your junior employees. Broaden your client base it's clearly not working being so reliant.

8. Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Morgan Hunt

Pros

Amazing buzz in the office Great location - right next to the old bailey! Drinks in Jamie's on a Thursday and Friday!

Cons

Terrible base salary and commission structure (20-22k base, commission is 10% of your personal billings after the 4k cap) Cliquey middle management - if you tell your manager something in confidence you can guarantee the whole office knows by 12pm. Claim to have a working together/ team work ethnic - nothing of the sort. If you are a top biller you are untouchable. Poor management of employee expectations ( will promise you the world with no clear route to achieving senior consultant). Poor training Extremely KPI driven (2 hours on the phone daily) Micromanaged - don't expect your manager to believe you when you have a doctors appointment (you must be interviewing else where). 20 days holidays! (what a joke) hours 8-6 ( says 8.30 on the contract but if you arrive later than 8.02 you are deemed as "late"') minimal benefits - cycle to work scheme, 20 days holidays.. High staff turnover - basically an old person after 2 months.

Advice to Management

sort out this chimpanzees tea party! Treat your staff better to reduce your high turn over!

RSS Feed </> Embed