Morgan McKinley

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Researcher

Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for less than a year

ProsClear indication of what is expected of you when starting.
The training is great here.
Lots of support from seniors.
Everyone makes new people feel extremely welcomed.
The culture of the company is unique and the respect between employees is great.
Learnt so much in such a short period of time.
Lots of progression for those who work hard.
A perfect job for anyone really; especially graduates.
Great rewards.

ConsCan be long hours, so if looking for 9-5 this isn't the job.

Better than 90% of recruitment agencies

Consultant (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

ProsCompared to most recruitment agencies where meaningless KPIs (i.e. time spent on the phone per week) are obsessed over, Morgan McKinley is definitely more relaxed as a work environment and occasionally sees value in things other than numbers..
Also, they generally hire amenable and dynamic people, so the company culture is fun and vibrant.
They are also very encouraging when it comes to training up staff and giving them a clear internal career development path (despite it being 95% based on billings).

ConsThe upper management tend to be quite short-sighted and have had issues with prioritisation.. On a micro-level, if you bill a lot in a short time you are basically given a pass for a while.. Macro: when times are good they get quixotic, hiring like mad and upgrading/opening new offices.. This bites the whole company back when revenue inevitably goes down..
Also, on certain teams it's more valuable to be a robot than to actually know what you're talking about.. They pay a lot of lip service to the model solid consultant being one who knows their subject matter and having long-standing relationships with their clients based on professional respect, but this all flies out the window if you bill and will not save you if you're not billing.. Again, take that with a grain of salt because at other recruitment agencies they'd be much more brutal..
Finally: the bonus structure.. It's shockingly unfair.. I won't go into details, but you have to bill quite a lot before you stand to make a bonus, and if you're under your targets for two consecutive quarters, you basically find yourself in a hole that you'll only dig your way out of with a couple recruitment miracles.. This gives employees the choice to either stay without hope of getting a bonus, or just start to look for new jobs while surviving off the basic salary.. The bonus structure is by and large the reason for the high turnover of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the bonus structure and be more cautious when investing in new staff, locations, and renovations..

"Excellent company with great opportunities to grow"

Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

ProsMMc has been a amazing experience it's definitely like nothing I've done before. Everyone I have met has been really friendly and helpful which has made me feel very welcome.Great training and development provided by my team and other desks, love the company culture and I am very excited to see what the future holds.

ConsI have no cons to write about

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work :-)

The first rung of the career ladder

Candidate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for less than a year

ProsBeing the first step on the career ladder, the prospect of moving to London and starting in the so called “rat-race” was rather daunting. I have had nothing but appreciation for the way I have been welcomed. From the minute I met the team I felt like I was part of it, everybody was very friendly and helpful. After the first day I was in awe with the amount of information I received and was overwhelmed trying to make sense of it all, but after my second day I was able to recognise key bits of information which I feel I am now getting to grips with. I am eager to get my head down and really excel in the team hopefully progressing as quickly as possible, which I feel will be straightforward due to the support I have in the Finance Change & Project Management team.

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about this company.

A refreshing change compared to my last company!!

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for less than a year

ProsI have literally only just joined Morgan McKinley, but already I can see massive potential here in terms of building a career and being successful. The atmosphere is like no other office I have experienced before. It is modern, buzzing and it feels like a proper sales environment, which was lacking massively in my last company. All of the people I have met so far have been have been very easy to talk to and there is always time for jokes and humour. Everyone also appears driven and focused too. The business has good relationships with a number of Financial Services clients and we are inundated with new mandates from these clients at present. The future is looking good.

ConsNone so far that I can tell

Excellent Global Brand Company with good opportunities to progress

Manager - Group Support (Current Employee)

ProsClear progression routes for Sales Individuals
Well known brand image across the industry
Scope to make the role your own
Great starting point for introduction into recruitment leading to specialist niche areas
Social events held regularly and company benefits
Company has a strong sense of values and commitment to improving candidate experience

ConsSupport Functions can at times miss out on recognition
Communication internally still needs improving but headway is being made to rectify this

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to be consistent across the board
Ensure that there are clear routes of progression for support functions and adequate training plans in place
Recognise support staff more often - they play a vital role in making the business work, at times just as important as the sales fee earners

Great chances for career progression, global firm

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

Pros*Great training and structures in place to develop your career in recruitment
*Opportunities to move around the world within Morgan McKinley, strong presence in Asia/Far East
*Positive and friendly environment - don't feel like you are micro managed
*Corporate and professional working environment

Cons*More support needs to be given to new members of teams and introduction to other members of different desks in the office. Sometimes there is not enough interaction between teams. This is getting better since the office restructure but more work needs to be done

Advice to Senior Management*Need to show more externally about how great it is to work at Morgan McKinley. Don't think enough people who don't work at Morgan McKinley know enough about the social events we have for our own staff as well as the charity contributions we do

Strong career growth and prospects for the right people

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Individuals who come in and impress can gain quick progression
-Opportunity for large earnings
-Lots of good people - a main factor for my staying here
-Friendly environment on the whole to work in

Cons-It is not for everyone - some people will not be able to handle the sales culture which is important for success in a recruitment environment. Having said that this company is not as salesy/aggressive as a number of competitors.
-A mix of management abilities - some very good and some not so
-Some back office processes need tightening up

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe managers and directors should lead by example - whilst some are very good at this there are others that do not

Nice People, Excellent Culture, Exceptional Client delivery, Can Lack Creativity and Innovation

Marketing (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMorgan McKinley is a great company to work for and with. There are some very very talented people in the organisation. People are not micro-managed they are 'led' in many cases though not all.

At Morgan McKinley you get autonomy and if you have an opinion or an idea that you are willing to share you will be listened to.

Work here if you want to make a difference and not just be an employee.

ConsHowever the sales culture that is recruitment means that sometimes communication can be flawed.
I see a very high staff turnover however that is expected in recruitment but it means there are inconsistencies with how we present ourselves.
Training and development could be improved
I think the general working hours in the London office should be shorter

Advice to Senior ManagementMore creativity and collaboration.

Worked for Morgan McKinley? Contribute to the Community!

Morgan McKinley Videos

Morgan McKinley – Why Work for Us?

About Morgan McKinley Morgan McKinley is a people business. Our attitude to our employees is expressed in the phrase, “You are more”. What we mean by that is, quite simply, that we will give you the space to grow in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan McKinley reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morgan McKinley CEO Pat Fitzgerald. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Morgan McKinley employees.