Morgan McKinley

careers.morganmckinley.com

Morgan McKinley Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Pat Fitzgerald

Pros
  • Career Advancement, Strong Challenging environment, like-minded peers, supportive management team(in 5 reviews)

• Positive and friendly environment - don't feel like you are micro managed(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is typical of the recruitment industry but maybe more promotion of work/life balance would be beneficial(in 3 reviews)

• Long hours but not much things getting done(in 4 reviews)

Working here 4 years now - excellent opportunities for career development & a fun place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsI think Morgan McKinley provide their employees with excellent career progression opportunities. The office environment is fun & employees are rewarded well for their achievements. The company is not afraid of change or trying out new ideas/processes. Like any role it is hard work, expectations are high and you are expected to perform but you are encouraged & supported to do this.

ConsHours can be long & there is a bit of a culture that this is the norm. This is typical of the recruitment industry but maybe more promotion of work/life balance would be beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful not to lose sight of a recruiter's whole performance, don't just focus on the fees. The environment /culture is good at the moment and hopefully this will not change.

too many politics

Consultant (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Prosnice people in the office and they allow me to work on lots of different jobs. office is in a good location.

Consmainly foreigners in management team and so many team meetings and politics in office. everyone talks about each other (including bosses).

Advice to Senior Managementhave less politics hire more Singaporeans into management

What I thought

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people and nice office

ConsLong hours but not much things getting done
    Too much effort on looking 'professional'
    Name sounds like a mixture of Morgan Stanley and McKinsey

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

ProsGlobal firm and you can feel it the movement in recruiting easily.

ConsAs a entry level consultant, you need to work hard to build up the strong relationship with client. It is not only for us but as general, this is significant.

Really enjoyed my short tenure here in MMCK - Lovely place to work with lovely people

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsThe people
    The office/environment
    The support
    The social life

ConsIts all about the money / benefits - I would have stayed if the bottom dollar for me was better. Too low

3 years on and I'm still here!

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent commission structure, work atmosphere, lovely office, great work nights out and opportunities to progress

ConsLong hours occasionally, stressful at times but that's recruitment. I've worked for other agencies before and I'm much happier here.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the infrastructure.

The best place to start your HR career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- Friendly and welcoming work environment
    - Cohesive teamwork
    - Continuously open to new suggestions

Cons- Use of the new database system was more manual

Want to destroy your recruitment career?? Work for MMK.

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsNice offices, some very good recruiters, good work nights out.

ConsTerrible communication with management, who look down on recruiters.
    Too many recruiters squeezed into verticals, especially in IT. e.g. 3 recruiters for .Net, 3 recruiters for QA etc
    Terrible training programme - put on desk and expected to bill from the start even if you have no recruitment experience.
    No support from managers, only more pressure.
    Too KPI focused - recruiters are programmed and not being consultants.
    Bad scope for progression.
    Huge staff turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your staff.

Morgan McKinley Social Media Branding responded to this review

Feb 5, 2014

We are sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time working with Morgan McKinley. We are constantly striving to improve our engagement and service levels, internally and externally, throughout ... More

Better than 90% of recruitment agencies

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCompared to most recruitment agencies where meaningless KPIs (i.e. time spent on the phone per week) are obsessed over, Morgan McKinley is definitely more relaxed as a work environment and occasionally sees value in things other than numbers..
    Also, they generally hire amenable and dynamic people, so the company culture is fun and vibrant.
    They are also very encouraging when it comes to training up staff and giving them a clear internal career development path (despite it being 95% based on billings).

ConsThe upper management tend to be quite short-sighted and have had issues with prioritisation.. On a micro-level, if you bill a lot in a short time you are basically given a pass for a while.. Macro: when times are good they get quixotic, hiring like mad and upgrading/opening new offices.. This bites the whole company back when revenue inevitably goes down..
    Also, on certain teams it's more valuable to be a robot than to actually know what you're talking about.. They pay a lot of lip service to the model solid consultant being one who knows their subject matter and having long-standing relationships with their clients based on professional respect, but this all flies out the window if you bill and will not save you if you're not billing.. Again, take that with a grain of salt because at other recruitment agencies they'd be much more brutal..
    Finally: the bonus structure.. It's shockingly unfair.. I won't go into details, but you have to bill quite a lot before you stand to make a bonus, and if you're under your targets for two consecutive quarters, you basically find yourself in a hole that you'll only dig your way out of with a couple recruitment miracles.. This gives employees the choice to either stay without hope of getting a bonus, or just start to look for new jobs while surviving off the basic salary.. The bonus structure is by and large the reason for the high turnover of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the bonus structure and be more cautious when investing in new staff, locations, and renovations..

More boutique than International...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- Friendly and supportive environment from peers to MDs - loads of banter
    - Consultants are fair and considerate - no fighting over jobs
    - Training provided online or hands on from both MDs
    - You set your own quarterly targets (within reason) and productive weekly stats ie visits, candidate meeting, floats etc instead of monitoring call minutes
    - Measured against your peers weekly regionally, monthly across Asiapac
    - Innovation and Thought leadership - excellent marketing material and hosted seminars

Cons- Hours are normal to other agencies but you get the feeling it's noted when you leave on time
    - No company mobile or reimbursements on mobile usage
    - Be expected to be available to check emails /make calls etc out of hours
    - Communication could be better in terms of new starters / client account allocation etc
    - Top heavy of Managers and all different in terms of style - your experience depends on who is your manager
    - Lack of social activities and not grandeur compared to our global offices

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note of Cons to retain talent within the business - apart from that keep up the great work.

Worked for Morgan McKinley? Contribute to the Community!