Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Reviews in Baltimore, MD

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman

James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in(in 95 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from(in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them(in 90 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad(in 105 reviews)

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

it was excellent, great people, excellent company to have on resume. Lack of vertical movement. Machine like.

Equity Research Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsResume bulider. Grow experience, make valuable connections across the industry. Boss has far reaching connections.

Consblah can't we figure something better than this nonsense

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance. better moveement

Great, but underutilized, employees

Analyst, Fixed Income (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWork environment is light, but a lot is expected. Mostly young coworkers, perfect for postgrad life in a new city. Personal development is a priority for managers. Great location between two of the nicest parts of Baltimore.

ConsTasks are mostly the same everyday. and become frustrating when internal systems have no OJT manual and no expert. Internal systems are antiquated, and support services are almost exclusively outsourced.

A great place to begin a professional career.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFor a first professional career I feel that I have good job security.

ConsLimited opportunities to move up in career

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is wonderful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starting position but lack of leadership and work/life balance

Equity Derivatives Product Controller (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIt was a good job right out of college to get some experience and get an idea of what work life was really about.
    Premium pay was okay. While I was salaried, I did receive overtime at half of my calculated hourly pay. Example: If I worked 50 hours, I would get my standard 40 hour pay but also be paid for 5 hours for 10 hours of overtime. It was nice to get SOMETHING for all the late time but I slowly learned that it was not worth it.
    Vacation time starts at 20 days, 10 of which have to be consecutive due to Dodd-Frank legislation (investor protection/fraud monitoring).

ConsLOTS of late nights. I averaged about 50-52 hours every week.
    Promotions and raises are only done once a year which is "industry standard" as I was told.
    Managers seem to be promoted based on time served not intelligence. My manager was using notes that she borrowed from a girl who had been employed only a month!
    The hierarchy in the company, especially Baltimore was really bad and rigid. If you are low man on the totem pole, don't expect much help, and expect to get the shaft often.
    Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them.
    They give a gym subsidy of $25 per month, but this is taxed once a year and it only works out to be about $15 per month.
    "Forced" volunteerism. Coworkers and I were pressured constantly to donate, volunteer, "we are not doing enough in our group," etc. It didn't feel like volunteering at all!
    Parking is not free. It costs about $120 per month to park at the building you work at!
    Bathrooms are limited. 3 stalls for each bathroom, for a floor of about 225-250 people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership there is bad. First time managers often rule with an iron fist and senior managers seem to be babysitters that delegate work as opposed to helping with it.
    Promote bright people with good ideas/performance and be willing to look at this more than just at years end and do not let "well so and so has been here for 2 years..." be a justification to why a promotion is not given.
    Speaking of promotion, do not promote based on time served. Many of your managers, especially senior managers, should not be in their positions but are not because of performance, but because they have been there a while. It's pathetic!
    Know that treating your employees like you do with the constant late nights and not helping with requests from NYC will only drive people to look for other opportunities.

Operations Specialist

Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat opportunities for advancement. Flexible working hours. The company promotes diversity. Exposure to institutional clients globally. Excellent employee benefits. Overall it is a good company to work for. But cultures may vary from department to department. Over the past few years, the trend is changing to a less pleasant path.

ConsLong hours. Internal politics can hinder promotion. Management is inconsistent in philosophy and unsupportive in taking the side on what is morally right. The training is inefficient for tenured employees, and you receive more negative feedback opposed to positive. I am not sure that this strategy motivates workers but it does deter them from receiving raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee advancement should be based on work performance rather than politics. Happy employees can more productive.

Baltimore office specifically - ok place to start a career, but not worth more than 3 years of crawling up the ladder

Associate In Client Service Group (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Pros- Well-recognized name
    - Huge resource pool seeing as it's a 50,000+ employee firm
    - Potential for working internationally

Cons- Extremely top-heavy
    - Competitive, cut-throat environment on management level
    - Growth opportunities come on an as-needed basis rather than as-deserved basis as would expect to exist in a large firm
    - It felt like there was a rift between the Baltimore office and the New York trading desks we were supporting. It was pretty clear that the company moved those hundreds of positions to Baltimore to cut costs, and the relationships with the NY office reflected those undertones.
    - Entire department was underpaid and overworked to keep costs down. Worked disproportionately long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in fresh talent to increase morale.

Great place to grow.

Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThey will mold you to become and ideal candidate for any other financial firm.
    Decent starting salary 40-50k
    No cap on sick days.
    Mandatory 2 week vacation
    Younger demographic
    Very invested in the community

ConsVery Long hours.
    Overtime pay is rarely reflected accurately on paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new hires who are unfamiliar with finance

experience in operations department

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFree milk, coffee, and good work/life balance

Conshard to advance, the work is boring, very high turnover of employees

Strong global company

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsNetworking, job-security, ability to learn, good first job, good benefits

ConsPoor compensation for the work, can easily replace your job if you want to quit/get a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate more=lower turnover

A Foot in the Door but not much else.

Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGood benefits, nice coworkers, office location in Fells Point is wonderful. Tuition reimbursement is nice. If you want to live in New York it's possible to transfer there, but NY employees have the same gripes as those in Baltimore.

ConsEverything else. Year after year of stagnant pay, constant layoffs, lack of recognition, unresponsive senior management, high turnover, management positions filled externally (lack of advancement opportunity), zero exposure within the company, stressful work, long hours, initiative not valued/recognized/rewarded, decisions directly affecting your job come with no explanation from a black box in New York.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!