Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman

James P. Gorman

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Operations Specialist

Operations Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities for advancement. Flexible working hours. The company promotes diversity. Exposure to institutional clients globally. Excellent employee benefits. Overall it is a good company to work for. But cultures may vary from department to department. Over the past few years, the trend is changing to a less pleasant path.

ConsLong hours. Internal politics can hinder promotion. Management is inconsistent in philosophy and unsupportive in taking the side on what is morally right. The training is inefficient for tenured employees, and you receive more negative feedback opposed to positive. I am not sure that this strategy motivates workers but it does deter them from receiving raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee advancement should be based on work performance rather than politics. Happy employees can more productive.

Good starting position but lack of leadership and work/life balance

Equity Derivatives Product Controller (Former Employee)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a good job right out of college to get some experience and get an idea of what work life was really about.
Premium pay was okay. While I was salaried, I did receive overtime at half of my calculated hourly pay. Example: If I worked 50 hours, I would get my standard 40 hour pay but also be paid for 5 hours for 10 hours of overtime. It was nice to get SOMETHING for all the late time but I slowly learned that it was not worth it.
Vacation time starts at 20 days, 10 of which have to be consecutive due to Dodd-Frank legislation (investor protection/fraud monitoring).

ConsLOTS of late nights. I averaged about 50-52 hours every week.
Promotions and raises are only done once a year which is "industry standard" as I was told.
Managers seem to be promoted based on time served not intelligence. My manager was using notes that she borrowed from a girl who had been employed only a month!
The hierarchy in the company, especially Baltimore was really bad and rigid. If you are low man on the totem pole, don't expect much help, and expect to get the shaft often.
Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them.
They give a gym subsidy of $25 per month, but this is taxed once a year and it only works out to be about $15 per month.
"Forced" volunteerism. Coworkers and I were pressured constantly to donate, volunteer, "we are not doing enough in our group," etc. It didn't feel like volunteering at all!
Parking is not free. It costs about $120 per month to park at the building you work at!
Bathrooms are limited. 3 stalls for each bathroom, for a floor of about 225-250 people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership there is bad. First time managers often rule with an iron fist and senior managers seem to be babysitters that delegate work as opposed to helping with it.
Promote bright people with good ideas/performance and be willing to look at this more than just at years end and do not let "well so and so has been here for 2 years..." be a justification to why a promotion is not given.
Speaking of promotion, do not promote based on time served. Many of your managers, especially senior managers, should not be in their positions but are not because of performance, but because they have been there a while. It's pathetic!
Know that treating your employees like you do with the constant late nights and not helping with requests from NYC will only drive people to look for other opportunities.

Baltimore office specifically - ok place to start a career, but not worth more than 3 years of crawling up the ladder

Associate In Client Service Group (Former Employee)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Well-recognized name
- Huge resource pool seeing as it's a 50,000+ employee firm
- Potential for working internationally

Cons- Extremely top-heavy
- Competitive, cut-throat environment on management level
- Growth opportunities come on an as-needed basis rather than as-deserved basis as would expect to exist in a large firm
- It felt like there was a rift between the Baltimore office and the New York trading desks we were supporting. It was pretty clear that the company moved those hundreds of positions to Baltimore to cut costs, and the relationships with the NY office reflected those undertones.
- Entire department was underpaid and overworked to keep costs down. Worked disproportionately long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in fresh talent to increase morale.

Great place to grow.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

ProsThey will mold you to become and ideal candidate for any other financial firm.
Decent starting salary 40-50k
No cap on sick days.
Mandatory 2 week vacation
Younger demographic
Very invested in the community

ConsVery Long hours.
Overtime pay is rarely reflected accurately on paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new hires who are unfamiliar with finance

experience in operations department

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Morgan Stanley as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFree milk, coffee, and good work/life balance

Conshard to advance, the work is boring, very high turnover of employees

Strong global company

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

ProsNetworking, job-security, ability to learn, good first job, good benefits

ConsPoor compensation for the work, can easily replace your job if you want to quit/get a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate more=lower turnover

A Foot in the Door but not much else.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, nice coworkers, office location in Fells Point is wonderful. Tuition reimbursement is nice. If you want to live in New York it's possible to transfer there, but NY employees have the same gripes as those in Baltimore.

ConsEverything else. Year after year of stagnant pay, constant layoffs, lack of recognition, unresponsive senior management, high turnover, management positions filled externally (lack of advancement opportunity), zero exposure within the company, stressful work, long hours, initiative not valued/recognized/rewarded, decisions directly affecting your job come with no explanation from a black box in New York.

Intern Experience

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at Morgan Stanley as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe projects that interns work on are very applicable to how the professional atmosphere will be everyday. The skills and trades that I learned in class were refined at Morgan Stanley. I became well versed in analyzing data and different trends.

ConsThe downside the location I was stationed was the trouble of gaining access to the needed software in a timely manner. This meant that I was not equipped with the tools to properly complete the tasks I was given.

Great People, Limited Pay

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time

ProsPeople are amazing. They provide growth opportunities but mobility is needed if you want to move up in the company.

ConsThe growth opportunities don't necessarily result in better pay. This is a good company for entry level employees and senior management but mid-level employees may have difficulty in regards to moving up and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to retain employees and give them better pay.

Good network, little value outside of elite positions

Fixed Income Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Morgan Stanley as a contractor

ProsDepending on position you will have a chance to work with teams all over the world. This is great for an MBA resume or higher level job searching

ConsThey dont really care about you, they want to use you as much as possible for as little as possible, but what do you expect...this location is also a little pretenious, there are better opportunities available

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the ship afloat its a delicate balance

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley reviews and ratings in Baltimore, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees.