Morgan Stanley

3.5
1,654 Reviews

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman
James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in (in 96 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them (in 91 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad (in 105 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work most of the time.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great NYC locations. Great people. Great pay and benefits. Great training options. Great Employee Relations. Ability to work remote from home.

Cons

The biggest con is the feeling around the agency when impending layoffs are constantly being announced or rumored. No one feels safe or certain how long they will last, from Management on down.

The constant amount of attrition that goes on does not make for a stable environment. It also leads to loss of valued employees.

Great training environment

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free coffee. Nice work life balance

Cons

Sometimes very cliqueish. Some upper management are not involved

Poor work life balance, employees treated like commodities

Former Employee - Director  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office is in New York

Cons

I was only at MS for a brief period, but when I was there, I worked very long hours. They have very little appreciation or recognition for hard work. Appreciation is not reflected in compensation or in how they treat you.

Getting promoted is definitely like running for political office. You have to know some people at the top (and widespread) to get promotions. I was hired one level below when I joined, promised a promotion opportunity during that year by the head of my group as part of my negotiation. Upon joining MS, I was quickly told that information was untrue, but was tempted with that carrot again when I gave my notice. Everyone is out for themselves, don't trust anyone at Morgan.

Starting showing value and appreciation for employees, stop treating them like commodities

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My career starting place and it brought me tons of opportunities from other big companies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Great group to work with, the environment is so friendly and I love the group, everyone is very helpful .

Cons

The department is not what I'm looking for for my future career since I'm technical person and would like to get into IT department.

The internship opportunities are the most wonderful ones for college students and I really appreciated it, would like to recommend it to all my college classmates.

Good Place To Work

Current Employee - IT Vice President  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - IT Vice President in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Performance = Compensation. Lots of opportunities to shine and be rewarded for a job well done.

Cons

Basically, you have no life outside of work.

My experence was positive with management. Clear goals / direction. Respect given, and value employees viewpoints and suggestions.

IT: Fine place for "just a job"

Current Employee - Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Speaking from a "back-office" (IT) perspective...

If you're able to let a job just be a job, the pay is good. That is, you put in your 40 hours Monday to Friday, do what's asked in a reasonable amount of time, and get well compensated. Some departments offer workplace mobility or facilitate work-from-home (including all Fridays for those working in the Brooklyn offices). Good standard benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc).

Vestiges of a once-great technology division abound, which is nice. The infrastructure is looking crusty in some places (with 10+ year-old parts), but still quite impressive.

The internal mailing lists aren't bad either.

Cons

It used to be one of the premiere investment banks on Wall Street. Now, thanks to profligate endeavors of the past few years, we've had disastrous results. This reflects badly on us as a firm and brand. Talented individuals depart, feeling the shift away from the massive FIRE (financial, insurance, and real estate) industry, heading to smaller firms, hedge funds, technology companies, and academia.

Speaking from a "back-office" (IT) perspective, for IT management (who seems to rotate in 12-month intervals)...

Grow a pair. We've had two years of spastic leadership, with no commitment to the decisions that must be made (why should middle management do anything if they guy or gal above them is going to be gone in a few months?).

The company that once was, can still be by embracing it's history.

Current Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

They are a large company, well recognized in Investment Banking and Securities Industry. They pay well and the Corporate culture is very unique. Respect is given to everyone. Opinions and contributions accepted. Most of the people are very intelligent.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited.

Morgan Stanley has continuously succeeded throughout history because it embraced a certain culture, and ways to do business. Changing culture just because times change can have an adverse effect. Strategy is meant to be changed, culture is meant to last forever. You attract people by compensating them well, you keep people by growing their careers and equally compensating them for their efforts. Lack of compensation is one of the quickest ways to lose top talent. Business minded people always weigh the factors of their circumstances, don't give them a reason to leave if they're your top performers.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!