Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com

Morgan Stanley Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in(in 96 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from(in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them(in 91 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad(in 105 reviews)

Private Wealth Management

Private Wealth Management Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany that is very proud of its heritage

ConsPrivate Wealth Management is always competing against the retail financial advisors (which can be infuriating)

Advice to Senior ManagementSpin-off Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Not bad

Software Developer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOne of the most prestigious investments banks in IT area to work for; relatively high end software development; higher management willingness to invest in technology; relatively good peer-peer relationship (of course that varies from team to team, dept to dept)

ConsStill lacks organization and structure of the leader in the industry/field; real team work/efforts is not stimulated (read: enforced) enough to provide for the environment where the above will be inevitable; politics takes over competence more often than is unavoidable

Advice to Senior Managementclean up; review; develop not only a new strategy, but the whole approach to creating a truly efficient work environment where it would be impossible for a manager to 'hide' a talent, and everybody's pe3rformance/results would be visible and objectively rated. good luck!

Technical lead in IT projects.

Vice President - IT (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood company to work for. You could build a good career and work till retirement with satisfaction. This is a employee friendly organization and place to be if you are planning long term career.

ConsGrowth and opportunity depends on the team you work in. You compensation and growth depends on the visibility and importance of your project in the organization. This is one of the reasons you get different feedback from different employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to get back on track and start taking up competition. This organization has tremendous potential and we should capitalize on it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work

IT Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work culture and benefits. Some groups are good to work with good projects. Internal Mobility is easy. HR is helpful

Consfavouritism by higher management for promotions. Compensation is not really that great. Managers always listen to the people who talk a lot

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should show less favouritism and be more fair. Managers should setup meetings to sync-up with their juniors which never happens in some grps.

need a direction......

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgenerally nice people benefits are fairly compettive

Consgive periodic feedback on what the firm is moving towards ... goals- have no idea
    need to be more streamlined in management
    need consolidation in some areas

Advice to Senior Managementgive more feedback and what the goals of the firm are and how they are going to be achieved - give updates on how the goals are progressing

Exciting place to work if your heart can take it

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-- Prestigious, top-tier financial services firm
    -- Excellent benefits
    -- Plenty of smart, committed, and competent people to collaborate with; lots of super stars to learn from
    -- Strong senior leadership; leadership communicates openly and frequently with employees
    -- Very ethical and professional corporate culture
    -- Plenty of opportunity and room to take initiative

Cons--Too many EDs and MDs with god complexes
    -- Less than transparent promotion practices
    -- Too many reporting lines;
    -- Too many managers with poor leadership skills who tend to be more interested in deliverables and less inclined to develop reports
    -- While training opportunities are offered, training is not part of the corporate culture

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some teeth in a 360 process that is truly year round. Hold managers accountable for managing and employees for meeting goals.

boring mind numbing work

PMO Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge organization. Good amentities. Cafetaria, gym, and so on. Nice coffee :)

Opportunities arise to advance. Or you can twiddle your thumbs and do nothing.

ConsHighly political. Senior Managers seemed to be focussed on protecting their backs. Knives were out.

As a results, rather disorganized. Things can change in an instance. I saw a division closed and people laid off within days. Atmosphere became toxic.

A lot of people I worked with were also doing something else e.g. writing a book so that were not that into what they were doing. I was contract. Others who were permanent barely worked at all. I had to pick up the slack for some very lazy people. They took boondoggling to new heights.

It was like working for government only the people were better dressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo idea. It is a cultural thing. How do you change a company that big?

Morgan Stanley: Great pay, spotty training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPay was better than most wall street firms, not even counting bonus.
    They really do make an effort to train their tech staff in new skills.
    Easy to telecommute.
    Managers are there in the trenches with you.

ConsAlways on call. You will be called to handle problems when you are on vacation and in training classes.
    Corporate culture discourages genuine friendliness between rank-and-file and management. Claims to encourage "due diligence" but the person who reports a problem gets saddled with the responsibility of fixing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an employee is in training, she should be immune to problem calls; these calls sacrifice the full benefit of the [expensive] training.
    Allow employee to report a problem without fear of getting piled on with another task in an already overflowing in-box.

My career starting place and it brought me tons of opportunities from other big companies.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat group to work with, the environment is so friendly and I love the group, everyone is very helpful .

ConsThe department is not what I'm looking for for my future career since I'm technical person and would like to get into IT department.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe internship opportunities are the most wonderful ones for college students and I really appreciated it, would like to recommend it to all my college classmates.

It is what it is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOne of the best, if not the best investment bank; name is great on your resume; sharp coworkers; compensation is fantastic

ConsHours hours hours; no work life balance; not very collegial; repetitive work - you'll do the same things over and over and over

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out whether we're an investment bank, a trading operation, or a private wealth manager. If you guys can't figure it out God knows we can't.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!