Morgan Stanley

3.5
1,770 Reviews

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman
James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in (in 114 reviews)

• Since it's difficult to get into Morgan Stanley, you'll work with very smart people (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them (in 106 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad (in 118 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

wealth management intern

Current Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Morgan Stanley as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work was fast paced so the days went by fast

Cons

The hours were fairly long.

Engage intern more in portfolio decisions.

CSA

Former Employee - CSA in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - CSA in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They do a great background check so you can trust employees are honest. It's a good name to have on a resume.

Cons

Very bad management, poor training and hostile work environment for older people, or people returning to work after taking a couple years off to be a stay at home mom.

Company is lucky I don't believe in lawsuits. Things that managers said to me where not professional and completely illegal for someone in my age bracket.

World class platform, some warts.

Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

It is truly a world-class platform. My group was far and away the leading group in our field and so it was extremely rare that a deal would happen that we didn't know about or get invited to participate in. There's still BS pitching involved, but not nearly as much as at other banks. The only other group that even comes close is GS.

Cons

The marketing, recruiting, etc would all tell you that its much more of a meritocracy than our competitors. But the reality is that its a pretty political place, and dead wood and blowhards tend to find shelter for long periods of time (even in this market). In the Menlo tech office, there's a little known secret: as an associate you have to do 3 years before getting the chance to get promoted to VP. It's not Morgan Stanley practice. It's not even MS Tech (NYC doesn't do it). It's just the Menlo office. Although they sell it as being 'for your benefit' in terms of training and development, the reality is that it's to their benefit. Once you've passed the two year mark (when all your friends are either gone or will be promoted), you're stuck. You either work your guts out to guarantee you get promoted, or you're screwed because everyone else out there knows you should have been promoted.

Focus on developing your people more. Especially in a down market like this where there are fewer deals to be done, training and development are key.

Morgan Stanley is standout firm in the finance industry

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

In my personal situation, the best reason to work at Morgan Stanley is the strength that it gives my resume. Without a doubt, MS is one of the most well respected financial institutions in the U.S. The career advancements are limited in my position, and I plan to possibly return to school for an MBA.

Cons

The technology is a bit archaic. It would be hard to advance to an Investment Rep position from where I am currently without returning to grad school. I feel that the prestige of Morgan Stanley has been somewhat diluted by the number of retail brokers working for the company.

I believe that management has done a good job of weathering the current financial storm.