Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman

James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in (in 96 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them (in 91 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad (in 105 reviews)

More Highlights
511 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

MS NY

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company to work for with excellent mobility opportunities.

Consdemanding environment with high pressure may not be for everyone.

Solid firm with a good reputation and quality people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHigh quality of people who have common sense and think like company owners. Pride is taken in the work and everyone rolls up their sleeves to get it done. Learning opportunities abound and very fast-paced environment.

ConsVery slow base salary growth, limited annual bonuses unless you are a Financial Advisor. Very large company org structure to navigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong-term employees are your backbone. Take time to evaluate base salaries annually.

ballin

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have great coffee and great food... and you make a boat load ton of money

ConsI worked over 100 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementBest in the game i would suggest having more trust in their people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of potential for learning at expense of work-life balance

Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat advancement opportunities and wonderful people in my department. Lots of potential for learning.

ConsLots of projects that are due "yesterday". Senior management expacts you to be avaliable and work late hours.

Great firm to start your career at

Analyst – Origination (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's very gratifying to work with smart colleagues on significant and interesting deals. In many front office roles, Morgan Stanley attempts to differentiate itself from competition by providing complex and tailored product offerings – it's more interesting work. The firm has a strong reputation and employees learn transferrable skills Mobility within the firm is also excellent.

ConsFor many junior employees (tends to be true across finance), there is a dearth of advancement opportunities within the firm. Motivated individuals often need to find a next job outside of MS within 1-3 years of initially joining, which can be tricky if working long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrainstorm policies that give junior employees advancement opportunities beyond the standard 2-3 year analyst program.

Great experience!

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was working in the Risk team, and I think Morgan Stanley has one of the best teams in the world.

ConsThere was a lot of internal politics, especially with my manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way you do internal reviews.

Engaging

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHuge commitment towards technological superiority
    Good health plan and retirement savings benefits
    Focused on being the best in wealth management

Conscompensation for FA's is constantly in-flux
    as 'infantryman,' FA's need to diffuse controversial pricing and fee policies with clients
    The firm is focused on being the best in Wealth Management and Investment Banking. Firm should break away from the pact by offering the best work-life balance benefits in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementAn emphasis on work-life balance would be great for morale

Great Experience

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearned a tremendous amount about the finance industry, wealth management as well as financial services.

ConsTraining and culture could be a little better.

Excellent company to expand your profile

IT Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work culture.
    Good company to enhance domain knowledge.
    Global company.

ConsNo work life balance.
    Projects move kind of very slow.
    Waste technologies - the project dont make full utilization of technologies.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good Company

Vice President - IT (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat technology. and good environment and people to work with.

Consbenefits are average and definitely politics are there like any other companies

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!