Morgan Stanley

3.6
1,893 Reviews

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman
James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in (in 117 reviews)

• Since it's difficult to get into Morgan Stanley, you'll work with very smart people (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them (in 109 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad (in 121 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Technically sound people in this company. Office work culture is also great. Work and learning wise it is really good company.

Cons

Don't allow much remote working option, so I can count that as Cons. Otherwise it is really good company to work for.

Fun activities should be more. It will improve employee-employer relationship.

Worked with great people

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Salary was good, benefits/work life balance was great.. But as with all big companies, the policies on the books are only as good as the manager in the department. In my case, the manager was great and flexible.

Cons

Commute to lower Manhattan was inconvenient. MS hires most as "defined term employees" with a contract date that has to be extended on an ongoing basis. While a DTE, not entitled to raises/bonuses, until permanent employee status is granted.

Good firm, but comp lacking vs competition

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Plenty of vacation, ability to work from home, good management

Cons

Lack of bonus as non-officer

Provide more clear promotion track

Registered rep

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

No cons to discuss at all

Morgan Stanley Review

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Great company, great management, many exit ops

Cons

Long hours, repetitive work at times

I was an intern on a small team in Equity Research.

Former Employee - Equity Research Junior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Research Junior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Intellectually stimulating environment - I learned a lot
    - As the most junior person on my team, my team members were always willing to help me learn
    - Compensation and benefits - good salary, free access to gym in the building, discounts for events in NYC, company pays for dinner if you work past 8 PM, etc.)
    - Office culture

Cons

- Long hours (hours vary by team, but my hours were roughly 7:15/7:30 AM until 7:30 PM)
    - High expectations of employees

The managers that I was exposed to were friendly, outgoing, and great role models. They treated the interns with tremendous respect and generally made themselves available.

Service Review Analyst

Former Employee - Service Review Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Review Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Benefits, pay, location, PTO, NA

Cons

Upward mobility, tuition reimbursement, work environment, training,

A few unprofessional and horribly trained managers.

Good people with impossible goals

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

You will have the benefit of being with one of the best recognized names on the street. In addition, you are essentially your own boss. You have all the flexibility in the world as long as you keep producing

Cons

The goals are almost impossible to hit unless you have a very wealthy network that trusts you with all their money. In addition, they will not bat an eye at letting you go if you don't keep up. Wall Street isn't known for being friendly

Good culture

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Management is keen on making sure that you are working manageable hours. HR did a good job of on boarding and making themselves available.

Cons

Headcount issues remain prevalent here and across the street. Whether or not you perform well, you may not be able to stay on due to capacity constraints.

Keep it up.

MS in a nutshell from an IT perspective

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people who are very hardworking. They come from a variety of backgrounds and always give their best efforts.

Employees and consultants are treated pretty much the same. If you're doing any kind of IT work, everyone is pretty much standardized and work is delegated based on technology and business experience. If you want to get the "best" work, you have to know everything about it beforehand.

Compensation is good and also guaranteed. I used to work in an IB that didn't give me bonuses due to the small size of my team and my rank. MS gives you a cut end of story, but that doesn't mean it's good. Benefits are also good. You get decent coverage from the basic medical plans offered.

Depending on your team and nature of your project, the work from home policy is pretty lax. A lot of co-workers have families and commute into the city so sometimes they need to be home.

Cons

Work can get repetitive. Many times I find myself doing a glorified refactoring of poorly written or poorly planned code. You'd think there would be an extensive process in check to prevent poor code from going into production, but that's not the case. Teams need to enforce their own code review and audit policies and sometimes that's difficult when you are trying to hit big deadlines.

IT support staff could use some work. There are no doubt talented individuals who keep good notes and are very good at drilling down issue solutions, but that doesn't save QA overall from being a giant sink. I think the QA teams need to be closely situated with the developers and create their test-cases co-dependently so they can actually understand the software; otherwise, developers may as well be the first point of contact.

Ranking and compensation improvement is slow. There's a big bureaucracy in place for promotions and it can be very frustrating to work year after year without seeing any improvement. Getting ahead requires you to be very social which is not always the easiest thing to do.

Enforce technology standards rigorously. Don't let people bring in 3rd party crap that hasn't been vetted by a tech team. Make build/release/test architectures standardized. It wouldn't be a bad idea to force everyone to use a single programming/scripting language either.

Create a point system so you can track your improvement. Yearly reviews don't do much other than ask you to give comments that won't be read and choose 1-5 on a question that doesn't make sense.

Make QA better. Hire better people. Make a better plan. I don't really know, but just make them better.