Morgan Stanley

3.4 1,525 reviews

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman

James P. Gorman

1,525 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in"
    in 92 reviews
  • "There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from"
    in 81 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad"
    in 104 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Miserable place that I would not recommend to my worst enemy

Director (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI worked in Securites Operations and I can honestly say I cannot think of 1 pro - I had a miserable time there

ConsFar too much focus on bell curve management and inexperienced managers who have never worked anywhere else trying to mange people using powerpoints from senior leaders.
    You have to be in the 'in crowd' or have a military background to progress.
    Compensation - you feel its bad when you are there, but that gets confirmed it when you leave for a 25% increase................

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace some of the 20 year Operational Directors who have no other industry experience, who are all scared to leave because of either share options or fear of the unknown - some of these individuals are clueless but manage their teams by creating a culture of fear - disagree with them and you get labelled a 'low performer' - this firm doesn't encourage free thinking.

Awful. Firm would not permit me to use my advanced financial skills trading billions per week in FX, or options/futures.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsSalary while training for basic Series 7, 66 etc.

ConsMy advanced skills were effectively thrown in the garbage, even after transferring my CTA registration to the firm. The local office of the firm wanted me to sell mutual funds, not permitted to talk to corporate treasurers like I used to do, or do any sophisticated financial transactions in FX, futures or options, EVEN FOR MY OWN ACCOUNT. DO NOT WORK in retail brokerage if you are a former bank trader of billions per week. Local office of firm also refused to transfer me to a more appropriate venue in New York which could use this skill set.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

Horrible place to be a junior banker

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsStandard investment banking training makes you really good at finance and accounting
    Morgan Stanley's name always got the attention of anyone who looked at my resume
    Superficial attempts at making the culture better

ConsWhere to begin...

Awful culture. Described on Wallstreetoasis as "dog-eat-dog snake pit" - very accurate description from my experience as well.
    No sense of camaraderie, analysts treated like sweatshop workers (senior bankers recruit by picking those who they think can churn out the most work, no regard for cultural fit)
    Extremely judgmental and high pressure / stress-inducing culture from senior bankers
    No one cares about your development or exit opportunities, they just want their work done
    Split into Corp Finance and M&A group; unfair to Corp Finance analysts who don't get as much technical exposure or any deals on their resumes
    Don't expect to be able to recruit outside of California

Four analysts quit within a 6 month period of working there (out of 10 analysts)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so judgmental, and don't be terrible to work with if you don't have to be

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood name on CV but trust me nothing else. I hated every second from day one

ConsWorst company i have ever worked for. Depressing and unbelievably rude people. I thank God everyday that I managed to leave!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your people not just your payslip

Horrible place to work, unless you like ripping off your clients.

Registered Client Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThe pay was good, office hours were good and the management was nice to work for.

ConsI worked at their Client Advisory Center which was a big title for a call center. Morgan Stanley is a horrible company to their smaller net worth clients. If you had less than $100,000 invested with them, their local financial advisors no longer got paid anything for them so they were encouraged to send them to the call center. The smaller customers get ripped off completely with very high low balance fees and terrible customer service. The training was horrible, and the ethics of Morgan Stanley are non-existent. Many of the smaller net worth clients were not very financially educated and Morgan Stanley took advantage of this. We were not allowed to tell them about the fees they were getting charged, only if they happened to look at their statement and notice the rip off. If we brought the fee structure up to the customer we could get fired. They charged these outrageous fees and hoped the customers would ignore their statements or just not savvy enough to figure it out. Horrible horrible company to work for and worse for their unwitting clients.

Looking to outsource every ops position

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat for recent grads to gain experience.

ConsZero compensation in operations.
    Starting salaries are very low, you won't make up money unless you leave company
    Won't match other company's offers
    Experience employees who do leave, get replaced with Temps, FTE who stay get more work.
    Promotions do not come with compensation, never heard of that one.

Advice to Senior Managementstart paying competitive wages.

Zero loyalty to employees

Senior Registered Associate (Former Employee)

ProsStreet name recognition, local management pleasant and sound interested.

ConsUnreliable IT, treat support staff badly, understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow regional and complex managers to make decisions with more autonomy instead of individuals vastly removed from facts making career decisions.

Boiler Room - Culture of Fear - Despicable Management

Financial Advisor Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCan't really think of much. Free coffee?

ConsHorrible management style. Miserable employees. Weak compensation. There wasn't a smile in the whole place. MS is a dinosaur of a corporation that needs to revamp their management style/corporate culture to get in touch with the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings!

really low pay, sloppy work culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscan be supportive work environment, flexibility if someone can "pull some strings"

ConsA lot of foot soldiers

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm guessing most of them aren't the types to really seek out advice on how to do their jobs better

Morgan Stanley

Rep (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosnothing nice to say so I won't say anything and that's all I have to say, so 20 word minimum is a hard thing to do when you don't have anything nice to say.

Consno team work, managers have no clue

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman. All 1,525 reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees.