Morgan Stanley

Employer Engaged

Unmet promises

Former Employee - FID TA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - FID TA in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are actually really great

Cons

0 incentive to do good work. Depending on the area, everyone is paid exactly the same amount and comp day is worthless. Promises of bonuses, raises, and promotions unmet.

Reward top performers....don't pay them the same as bottom performers

No potential without opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Salary, plus partial commissions (25% of revenue) as long as you meet performance goals; which are impossible unless you have a book or are hired onto a team who will insure you meet your performance goals. Will pay you a salary while your studding for your licenses. If you fail you series 7, the first time you take it, your fired. So do take it seriously.

Cons

No support of any kind. The interview is purely a sales pitch. Its your business. Do not look for any direction or support on how to succeed. The training is of no value unless you've never been a salesman; the training is exclusively sales training with no training on "how to" open accounts, build a portfolio, or basic investing (you will be left to learn that on your own). Corporate culture. Either you're in or not; if so, you must drink the punch. Very difficult to succeed. They will not hesitate in canning you; I saw four guys get the axe with no notice, just "today is your last day". When they cut you, that same day clients who believed in you enough to hire YOU and open an account with you, will be reassigned to senior guys. They will start calling every client the next day to inform them you are no longer with them. This is the made greed dash to take whatever clients you build while there. Every client I had refused to even talk to these guys out for a easy buck.

Often I hear Management (business development management) complain about loyalty when a multimillion dollar producer or team leaves to go else where. Funny, there is no loyalty from management, but somehow its logical to complain these titans have no loyalty. Why would they have any if your provided nothing more than an office and phone, which every other company is running over each other to offer the same (with a bonus upfront and contract)?

Okay experience

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Decent hours (8am -7pm ish)
    Huge brand name (one of the best BBs on the street)
    Good, friendly culture

Cons

Minimal bonus relative to amount of work

Limited oppotunities

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Couldn't have worked with better people. Really felt as though mentors within the department cared about my personal development. Was able tolerant a lot quickly. I wish the same sentiment was shared by management.

Cons

Always felt that the firm tried to get away with paying employees as little as they could get away with. The only time people saw significant raises was when they threatened to leave with opportunity elsewhere. Management did not put much effort into the professional development of the employees.

Pay better attention to employees and worry less about the shareholders--investing in the former will reward the latter

Influential in nurturing my excellence in global client service and igniting a passion for making a difference.

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Global presence, the company culture, the people, the open policy of experiencing different careers within the organization.

Cons

Work life balance. Compensation policies

Executive Director at Morgan Stanley

Current Employee - Model Risk Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Model Risk Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well-managed company, good ethics and business decision-makgin

Cons

Sub-standard compensation at all levels

Reward your high performers or lose them to other firms

Operations Analyst in Baltimore Office

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

-Good experience within early stages of career in the industry.
    -Educational Training classes are available to learn about different financial products.
    -If one is willing to put in the work and effort, can get some great insight on the industry.
    -High performing employees can be rewarded (not necessarily with compensation) In some cases there is freedom given to employees who are looking to suggest process improvements

Cons

-High turnover due to several key reasons...

-Compensation is okay to start, but the program in place for moving up is simply not great. Many employees are dissatisfied with annual raises if there even is an increase at all. Simply put Operations is treated as overhead throughout the firm and comp seems to depend on each individual business unit's funding each year.
    -Rewarded for time spent in a position and not performance reviews. ( I was blocked from advancing in their analyst program due to starting 1 month past their cutoff...delaying my progression by a full year)
    -Long hours can be common, and depending on the department there can be a very stressful atmosphere
    -Surprised by attitude towards operations. Very Front office vs. Back office mentality

The high turnover itself seems to be a big con, as it constantly seems like an endless cycle of having too much work when the team is impacted. I

Need to find a way to keep employees engaged in the firm in order to reduce turnover

Treat back office personnel with a little more transparency. Meetings with upper management constantly discussing 'cutting costs' are not
    necessarily encouraging for employees.'

I guess it depends on the business unit ...

Current Employee - Vice President, Administrative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Administrative in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

The firm is well regarded and colleagues who have been there for 20+ years cite a real opportunity for internal mobility. One woman has had 15 roles in slightly more years. (Although I wonder if that's just her or her experience at the firm.)

Cons

I work in Admin as a VP with 10 years' experience at other large banks. The senior leadership stresses "communication" and "mentorship" during town halls and the interview process, yet I see none from upper management in my business unit. They don't really seem to know who staff is, unless they've been there for ages - and while they all cite what a difference mentor relationships made in their careers, they aren't mentoring middle management in return. I don't know if I would've joined if I'd known how little career development, training, and guidance actually happens in this particular division. To be fair, I've heard different in others.

Compensation is adequate, but they seem to be unwilling to make market rate or reward appropriately. (Our team lost a highly respected member after consistently great annual reviews and comp comparisons that he was being underpaid: the message was very much "take it or leave it".) And even though we are all doing "more with less", this year's bonus numbers reinforce that attitude.

Mandate that mentorship and training has to be part of the annual review for management. Pay appropriately and recognize that it costs more to replace a valued employee than give him/her market rate. (Oh, and that you get what you pay for - either in NY or in the Third World - just sayin'.)

MS where the wealthy serve the rich.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Elite environment,top quality piers and management. Very focused on the 1%, which is great if you have connections and a network in that rarefied space.

Cons

Hard to build book without a network of high net worth prospects. If you belonged to the rich kids Frat or Sorority, top country club, yacht club or sit on the board of establishment charities, you can do very well.

Let them eat cake attitude could backfire.

Just another bank

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people--despite mediocre local managment

Cons

BIG bank demands which may not put clients first