Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Employment Status

Reset
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney President Greg Fleming
Greg Fleming

Pros
  • Stable career and good work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Fortune 500 company with good benefits (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a disconnect between the companies desire for Financial Advisor Associates to succeed and their actions (in 20 reviews)

• The training program was a complete joke (in 13 reviews)

1. I had a great experience working with a team of financial advisors during the summer.

Former Intern - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Everyone was very helpful and considerate. I had great exposure to the municipal bond market. I had face to face interaction with clients.

Cons

I didn't have a specific role so some of the days there was no work for me and it got kind of boring. The pay was very minimal and just covered my traveling expenses.

2. I came from Citi Smith Barney we were moved to Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Former Employee - Program Manager in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Purchase, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with.

Cons

Morgan Stanley created a new company so they could deny benefits to people and still call it "Morgan Stanley". I think out of 20, many there are 2 people left. Everyone else quit or got another job. Low morale, low pay. They had a dinky van they charged us $400 a month, you read it right, from our paychecks, for us that were coming from NYC. I quit as soon as I got the bonus.

3. It was a fantastic experience. You work along the smartest people in the industry and the learning curve is steep.

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Right when I walked into the door, people were greeting me instantly. Everyone is truly dedicated to their work and this promotes internal competition to constantly keep you thinking on your feet.

Cons

My boss didn't provide the amount of work that I had expected. I felt that I kept asking for more work.

5. Luck will shape your experience here

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you happen to pick the right group to join, then your experience can be awesome...at a discounted salary compared to other banks. There are a lot of fun projects to migrate archaic platforms to a new technology stack. If you're interested in learning something new or stretching your knowledge, make sure to pick the right group and right boss. You'll know it's the right group when people in that group are smiling and happy even when they are crazy busy.

Cons

Salary is relatively low compared to other banks. However, if you're in the right group, you have the flexibility to learn and do new things that you wouldn't be able to do in other banks. There's a big chasm between employees who are working on legacy applications versus the employees building the new applications. It's sad because I like the people here.

Advice to Management

Pay your top talents at the very least what they are worth in the market. At some point, we all get tired of getting less money and we will eventually move on.

6. VP

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, friendly, learn a lot, eager to teach

Cons

Long hours, a lot to do

Advice to Management

More leadership

7. Great introduction to wealth managemnt

Former Intern - Wealth Management Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful staff. HR is very helpful through the onboarding process. Coworkers were professional and pleasant. MSSB gives access to 'corporate perks' via an online platform. Office communicates additional opportunities, events, etc via email.

Cons

Hard to get accustomed to all MSSB's resources in a short amount of time. Compliance tests are long and annoying, but a necessary process.

8. The grass is greener...

Current Employee - Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional atmosphere, great colleagues, old ML guard leading co.

Cons

little further distance to travel

Advice to Management

don't cut our comp or support staff...look to the higher apid execs for cost savings

9. Wealth Management Technology

Current Employee - IT in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT in New York, NY

Pros

Free coffee and tea. Ability to telecommute depending on the manager.

Cons

Managers do not know how to manage and they play favoritism. It seems consultants outnumber employees. A lot of functional redundancy and overlap. People are insecure and a lot of infighting for projects. Strange how the CIO pressures us to reduce our spending, tells us there isn't enough money for better pay and bonuses, tells us our project funding is being cut, along with regular talk of headcount ramp-downs, but managers fly back and forth from NY to London to India. Also, plenty of senior managers hired from the CIO's previous company, who then hired their team members from the company, even though we went through a hiring freeze.

10. Good company but has become stagnant with pay and employee advancement

Current Employee - Operations Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people, stable work in bad economic times

Cons

The salary is a little low compared with other companies.

Advice to Management

Increase salary to market to keep employees

11. Good at local levels, gets worse as you go up

Former Intern - Client Service Associate in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Client Service Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers flexible hours once you reach a high enough level, large degree of independence to perform your work as you see fit, great institutional support in terms of research and operations

Cons

Recent cuts to back office staff have massively reduced productivity especially when in building tech support phone calls now go to an out of state calling center staffed with less knowledgeable people, technology upgrades are always handled poorly with large disruptions in one case causing a mass exodus of top producers who were angry at the changes, upper level management unresponsive to branch needs since takeover by Morgan Stanley

Advice to Management

Don't release tech upgrades that fail and cause work stoppages and disruptions for months, test them thoroughly first. If you do create such problems, publicly minimizing them as not especially important or minor is disrespectful and, when untruthful, highly damaging to employee morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed