Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated August 14, 2014

3.2

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney President Greg Fleming
Greg Fleming

Pros
  • Additionally, the hours are extremely good and able to maintain a great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits/PTO, fast-paced learning environment, great advisors (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a disconnect between the companies desire for Financial Advisor Associates to succeed and their actions (in 20 reviews)

• Invariably, unless you are part of a team you will not make it through the training program (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good at local levels, gets worse as you go up

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Offers flexible hours once you reach a high enough level, large degree of independence to perform your work as you see fit, great institutional support in terms of research and operations

Cons

Recent cuts to back office staff have massively reduced productivity especially when in building tech support phone calls now go to an out of state calling center staffed with less knowledgeable people, technology upgrades are always handled poorly with large disruptions in one case causing a mass exodus of top producers who were angry at the changes, upper level management unresponsive to branch needs since takeover by Morgan Stanley

Don't release tech upgrades that fail and cause work stoppages and disruptions for months, test them thoroughly first. If you do create such problems, publicly minimizing them as not especially important or minor is disrespectful and, when untruthful, highly damaging to employee morale.

Company does not have a clear vision for their international wealth management business

Former Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name, Smart people, pay

Cons

Impersonal, unclear vision for the international wealth management business

Define international wealth management strategy

No bonus for last 3 years for certain legacy Morgan Stanley employees in Operation

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brand Recognition of Morgan Stanley in Investment banking and wealth management.

Cons

No upward mobility for operation or support folks from legacy MS side.

Please check the comp structure for Operation and support staffs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MSSB - Generally A Good Place

Former Employee - Manager of Fixed Income Investments  in  Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager of Fixed Income Investments in Red Bank, NJ

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people and its products are pretty good and fairly well thought out.

With its retail arms, it reaches quite a lot of people who might like to invest for higher returns

It is a big place with a lot of professionals who can cover the markets properly and connect people with investments

Cons

It is a big place with a lot of moving parts. The consolidation of Smith Barney to form Morgan Stanley Smith Barney was not easy but it did get done. The was some dislocation in the combination, but that happens when companies expand quickly.

Listen to the good and even excellent ideas of employees

Reward employees because employee know-how is the company's main asset. This is not a company that manufactures consumer products. The company can only harvest know how about how to manage and invest portfolios on behalf of customers.

Young culture

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

MSSB has young and vibrant work culture. people embrace new thoughts and are open minded. Great place to join no matter if you are intern or MD.

Cons

Not a product company hence projects move with their own pace!

Invest in more trainings.

Operations Analyst, Consultant

Former Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my time working at Morgan Stanley. I did not receive a thorough training, but had a great supervisor to work with. I had a decent salary as well.

Cons

Did not necessarily enjoy my job tasks.

Investment Intern

Former Employee - Investment Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great minds, great teams, learn a lot quickly

Cons

back office work involved
    poor pay

I have watched this bank improve over the last four years as Gorman transforms it into an Asset Management firm.

Current Employee - Registered Sales Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Morgan Stanley is improving with each quarter. If you want to do Asset Management, whether it be Private Wealth Management or Institutional, this is the place to do it.

Cons

It's hard to get recognized at a big firm. Building your networks takes considerable time and energy.

Constantly evolving company

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

There are many opportunities to gain IT experience. The company will always be in the mainstream because it is open to changes as demanded by the evolving business environment.

Cons

Unfortunately, change means diversity and job insecurity as a full time employee. There are too many consultants coming in.

IT people don't need constant anti-money laundering, anti-insider trading trainings, etc... Reminders may be enough.

I have spent 10+ years at Morgan Stanley (and I am a woman), climbing the the ladder from an entry level position.

Current Employee - Exeve Director  in  Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Exeve Director in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a meritocracy where talent and harwork are rewarded. There are scores of mobility opportiunities and career development offerings. Diversity is sinceerely embraced here. Nothing feels forced. I especially appreciate their commitment to women and the developement of their careers.

Cons

Compensation is fair, but certainly not on a par with Goldman Sachs. But on the plus side, you may actually have a life while working here.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!