Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney President Greg Fleming

Greg Fleming

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have spent 10+ years at Morgan Stanley (and I am a woman), climbing the the ladder from an entry level position.

Exeve Director (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsThis is a meritocracy where talent and harwork are rewarded. There are scores of mobility opportiunities and career development offerings. Diversity is sinceerely embraced here. Nothing feels forced. I especially appreciate their commitment to women and the developement of their careers.

ConsCompensation is fair, but certainly not on a par with Goldman Sachs. But on the plus side, you may actually have a life while working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Senior management is great at patting themselves on the back.

Purchase, NY

ProsFree coffee. Motivational posters in the elevators speaking about how great the company is doing.

ConsNo raises or bonuses in the three years I have been there, despite having the highest possible performance reviews.

The CEO is an arrogant man full of himself. The level of disregard he shows to the employees is astounding but is rewarded by the board.

Any kind of promotion within the firm is by title only. HR refuses to bump up salaries equal to the new title.

Only way to get head from a salary stand point is to leave for another role.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees fairly. Cost of living has gone up, but pay has been stagnant for years. If you are raking in millions in bonuses, there needs to be some level of fair incremental raise for the rank and file employees as well.

The absolute worst, Purchase runs like a warehouse, no leadership, lots of know- it-alls

Purchase, NY

ProsLocation and that's about it.

ConsNo transparency, HR isn't knowledgeable or strategic thinkers so you're off on bad footing from day 1. Sr mgmt. often micromanages, never any recognition or rewards. Negotiate salary upfront because that's all you're getting. The Purchase building is rundown. Needs a facelift along with archaic technology and programs. Hard to believe this is a financial institution. Operates more like a warehouse. Revolving door of know-it-alls.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and get a new job elsewhere. I hear McDonald's is hiring.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They're killing themselves

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsGood people. Most people trying to make the right things happen

ConsVery beaurocratic. Don't listen to front line managers. Will fire staff in a second to make financials better. Short term focus for managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the long term. Ride through the lows and be ready for the upswing.

An excellent company to work for. Opportunities abound for quality people who know how to get things done.

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsGreat people. Excellent Medical/dental etc.

ConsFinancial Services Industry is not well received by main street at the moment.

I spent close to 5 years with MS/MSSB, the Joint Venture ruined it all, it created conflicts...

Various Roles (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsCareer advancement opportunities, benefits are good, too bad they discontinued the ESPP (again, because of the JV)

ConsCompensation is not as good as other companies on the street

Great FICC capital markets starting ground for first 3-5 yrs. Freedom to advance in sales or trading.

Sales Trader (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsOpportunity to take your career in any direction you want within capital markets. There's a seat for every product with real front office responsibility and experience.
    Great launching pad to land a more specialized role with higher pay once you figure out your career goals.
    Work life balance and great people to work with
    Take care of their people with comp and benefits

ConsRetail focus... second in line to institutional business
    Paid 20% below street (but still paid well)
    Management turning desk into agency business and a lot of red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with employees
    Better pay based on merit
    Don't roll over into an agency desk

fair

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Purchase, NY

Prosthere are good employees to work with

ConsSenior Mangement not genuine. Its about who you know and do they like you.

Advice to Senior ManagementXX

Happy to work here

Purchase, NY

ProsManagement Team is good and pay is fair. I have nothing to complain about.

ConsTechnology and systems are lagging behind relative to other firms. Running XP and using Office 2003 are just a couple of examples.

The internal website could also use a re-design with a lot of information being hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe antiquated software is a real hindrance to our productivity. Please increase the speed of deploying the new integrated platform.

Associate review

Associate (Current Employee)
    Purchase, NY

ProsMSSB is not a very demanding place to work and offers good pay, hours, and relaxed environment relative to industry peers.

ConsMSSB does not offer good opportunities for motivated people to have a challenging experience. There is very little management feedback on performance or job satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with your employees. Communicate your strategies and goals for the firm, their individual businesses, and their careers clearly. Offer them attainable benchmarks and reward them when they meet them.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney reviews and ratings in Purchase, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney CEO Greg Fleming. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley Smith Barney employees.